Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 tested seats

Options
  • 18-09-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been planning a camper conversion for a while now and the biggest challenge I have come across is the seats/bed.
    Due to needs and layout I plan 2 single seats that convert into a transverse double bed.
    For an engineer to approve the conversion these need to be M1 crash tested seats.
    Any ideas on getting these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I, like lots of people have caravelle seats with original mushroom bolts in my ducato engineer had no issue signing them off granted my load spreading was at least 10 times stronger than vw original. Seats fold flat and the beds fold out over the top. I think the fasp seats are far better value than rib you can order them through a coach builder ask fasp who has an account with them in your area and they work out less than half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

I know this is a little long after the original post, but who is your eingineer? My guy is insisting on brand new M1 tested seats with paper cert.
    moodrater wrote: »
    I, like lots of people have caravelle seats with original mushroom bolts in my ducato engineer had no issue signing them off granted my load spreading was at least 10 times stronger than vw original. Seats fold flat and the beds fold out over the top. I think the fasp seats are far better value than rib you can order them through a coach builder ask fasp who has an account with them in your area and they work out less than half the price

Brand new seats what bull they won't be brand new by the time you've bolted them in. I suppose he doesn't sign off any secondhand taxis, buses, trucks either.

Westward scania did ours as recommended on here in one of the big threads but they dont do them anymore due to a complete lack of guidance and clarity from RSA.

Mullingar Truck Center was recommend to me two weeks ago.

Parfit also sell new seating they've removed for conversions maybe they would fit and give you a cert?
    http://parfit.ie/productinfo.php?id=142#!prettyPhoto

He is reasonable about the rest. He will pass caravan windows as long as they are safety marked. His charge is €120.
    I called a company in Galway who told me that the rsa site states everything has to be fitted by a professional conversion company with invoices to show.
    It doesn't. It says "competent person".
    Another engineer told me it had to be all new fittings with certs..
    Brand new seats what bull they won't be brand new by the time you've bolted them in. I suppose he doesn't sign off any secondhand taxis, buses, trucks either.

Westward scania did ours as recommended on here in one of the big threads but they dont do them anymore due to a complete lack of guidance and clarity from RSA.

Mullingar Truck Center was recommend to me two weeks ago.

Parfit also sell new seating they've removed for conversions maybe they would fit and give you a cert?
    http://parfit.ie/productinfo.php?id=142#!prettyPhoto

• Advertisement

jamesbil wrote: »
    He is reasonable about the rest. He will pass caravan windows as long as they are safety marked. His charge is €120.
    I called a company in Galway who told me that the rsa site states everything has to be fitted by a professional conversion company with invoices to show.
    It doesn't. It says "competent person".
    Another engineer told me it had to be all new fittings with certs..

I suppose if it makes life easy for them and people are willing to foot the bill they can say whatever they want. If I was doing it again I'd probably stump up the money for a fasp bed I probably spent 300 in the end between seat, seat belts, fixings. The fasp bed was around 800 plus delivery from germany with the integrated belts it would have made layout much more flexible. If you think of their testing, insurance, staff and manufacture costs its pretty reasonable.

I suppose if it makes life easy for them and people are willing to foot the bill they can say whatever they want. If I was doing it again I'd probably stump up the money for a fasp bed I probably spent 300 in the end between seat, seat belts, fixings. The fasp bed was around 800 plus delivery from germany with the integrated belts it would have made layout much more flexible.

What I am looking at from Scot seats is pretty expensive.
    £150+ vat per seat including belts
    £100 +vat fixing kit
    £100+ vat delivery
    €200 foam.
    There's 900 quid...
    where we're you buying the fasp seats?

What I am looking at from Scot seats is pretty expensive.
    £150+ vat per seat including belts
    £100 +vat fixing kit
    £100+ vat delivery
    €200 foam.
    There's 900 quid...
    where we're you buying the fasp seats?

Are those not high backed non folding seats total balls in a camper. The fasp seat was on ebay.de, felt bit guilty not taking it after the guy got pallet shipping quotes. My friend worked out it was about €700 cheaper to book a ferry and take a little holiday in germany to pickup his variotech bed, waeco fridge and other bits at reimo near frankfurt :)

Reimo germany do the three point fasp seat for about €1000 don't think they will ship here though. Might be worth calling one of their dealers or Aidan_M_M may be able to help.

Munster Motor Caravan Ltd.
    Ballywilliam Rathkeale (00353) 69 64 40 0 E-Mail
    Co.Limerick (00353) 69 63 93 7
    • Zubehoer-Vertrieb • Reimo Zubehoerspezialist • Reimo Ausbauspezialist • Einbauservice • Camp4 Camping Spezialist
    Maynooth Motorhomes
    Clonagh, Maynooth (00353) 1 - 62 75 74 0 E-Mail
    Co. Kildare Ireland (00353) 16 27 20 14
    • Zubehoer-Vertrieb • Reimo Zubehoerspezialist • Einbauservice
    Derek Walsh Camper Centre
    Court Business Park (00353) 61 39 40 10 E-Mail
    IRL Kildimo Co. Limeric (00353) 61 39 40 10 WWW

In the end of the day a simi registered garage can sign it off so if you find a simi crash repair place they're used to dealing with much dodgier stuff than a few bolts and spreader plates.

Are those not high backed non folding seats total balls in a camper. The fasp seat was on ebay.de, felt bit guilty not taking it after the guy got pallet shipping quotes. My friend worked out it was about €700 cheaper to book a ferry and take a little holiday in germany to pickup his variotech bed, waeco fridge and other bits at reimo near frankfurt :)

Reimo germany do the three point fasp seat for about €1000 don't think they will ship here though. Might be worth calling one of their dealers or Aidan_M_M may be able to help.

Munster Motor Caravan Ltd.
    Ballywilliam Rathkeale (00353) 69 64 40 0 E-Mail
    Co.Limerick (00353) 69 63 93 7
    • Zubehoer-Vertrieb • Reimo Zubehoerspezialist • Reimo Ausbauspezialist • Einbauservice • Camp4 Camping Spezialist
    Maynooth Motorhomes
    Clonagh, Maynooth (00353) 1 - 62 75 74 0 E-Mail
    Co. Kildare Ireland (00353) 16 27 20 14
    Derek Walsh Camper Centre
    Court Business Park (00353) 61 39 40 10 E-Mail
    IRL Kildimo Co. Limeric (00353) 61 39 40 10 WWW

In the end of the day a simi registered garage can sign it off so if you find a simi crash repair place they're used to dealing with much dodgier stuff than a few bolts and spreader plates.

Thanks a lot.
    They were non folding bench seats from Scot, I figured a build around was my only option. Maybe a better option would be a different engineer. Problem is finding one willing to sign it off. Plenty around but any I called were either over the top with regs or simply "ah no I wouldn't be into that"..
    I'm not trying to get away with a bad job, I want well fixed 3 point seats for my kids safety.
    I had a camper before where the belts were bolted to hollow ply! I put in bolts and brackets to the chassis.

Well my morning is proof that its worth asking a question or even just chatting about it..
    I had resigned myself to using this engineer, cheap, local and kind of reasonable.
    After chatting to moodrater I spent the morning calling to see lads I know in the trade just to see if they knew anyone.
    Long story short, they put me in touch with someone who put me in touch with... that kind of way..

Finally found a guy not too far away who will pass used coach seats or rock and roll singles not tested but built to same spec. Really helpful, said he will talk me through the fitting and even call over to advise!
    He wants it to be quality and well done to a safe standard but recognises the need to be reasonable.

This will save me a fortune!

• Advertisement

Well my morning is proof that its worth asking a question or even just chatting about it..
    I had resigned myself to using this engineer, cheap, local and kind of reasonable.
    After chatting to moodrater I spent the morning calling to see lads I know in the trade just to see if they knew anyone.
    Long story short, they put me in touch with someone who put me in touch with... that kind of way..

Finally found a guy not too far away who will pass used coach seats or rock and roll singles not tested but built to same spec. Really helpful, said he will talk me through the fitting and even call over to advise!
    He wants it to be quality and well done to a safe standard but recognises the need to be reasonable.

This will save me a fortune!

Nice one, its seems only in Ireland that professionals like engineers are afraid to make a judgement based on their knowledge and experience. If you look at the seat fixings and anchor points in a car or van you'll see its not hard to exceed the strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alem12

Hi there, would you be able to share further info on reasonable engineer. Going through similar issue right now and could really use some help. Cheers, Al

Alem12 wrote: »
    Hi there, would you be able to share further info on reasonable engineer. Going through similar issue right now and could really use some help. Cheers, Al

Ill send you a pm

Advertisement