Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning for second year on btea

Options
  • 18-09-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I completed first year of a 4 year undergrad degree where I was getting btea. I've spent the summer receiving jobseeker's allowance and I go into second year next week but I've heard nothing about going back onto btea.
    On my last sign on date I asked in my local office what the process was and was told I'd receive a letter closer the time but I've heard nothing yet.
    Anyone know what the process is for returning? Is there something I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I received a letter during August to say I was provisionally approved and I had to send a letter confirming my attendance when I was registered. They made a huge mess of the change over from BTEA to JA for me so I think the woman handling my claim sent it just to keep me happy.

I'd advise you to call your local office again to check up on it, if for nothing other than peace of mind because in my experience you can be easily forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

I know this was posted last year but I'm in this situation at the moment. I contacted my local social welfare office a few weeks ago and the told me I would receive a letter before I return to college. No letter has come and in starting back this week I have a signing on date Tuesday and will not be able to attend as my course has a strict attendance policy. Is anyone else in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

It varies office to office, I'm in Dublin and got some letter in June saying provisionally approved. My brother is in the Dundalk office got the same letter 2 weeks ago. In both cases once registered we'll get a letter of registration with start and end date for the year signed by the university and drop it into social welfare office. It's basically a repeat of what you did in first year. I can't recall from memory if they switch you to btea payment after this letter is dropped into the office or before. I know how stressful these things can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Pos087 wrote: »
    I know this was posted last year but I'm in this situation at the moment. I contacted my local social welfare office a few weeks ago and the told me I would receive a letter before I return to college. No letter has come and in starting back this week I have a signing on date Tuesday and will not be able to attend as my course has a strict attendance policy. Is anyone else in the same boat.

I'd go into your office or ring them, I had similar issue with missing a signing on day. By ringing you'd get to raise both issues, half time one hand doesn't know what the other is doing in the offices I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

ronano wrote: »
    I'd go into your office or ring them, I had similar issue with missing a signing on day. By ringing you'd get to raise both issues, half time one hand doesn't know what the other is doing in the offices I find.

Thanks for replying. I called over today to office and was told they have not sent out letters yet, which is crazy to me cause people are back at college now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Pos087 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. I called over today to office and was told they have not sent out letters yet, which is crazy to me cause people are back at college now.

I made my application in early July, and only got a letter back from them Thursday just gone. Its was a very important factor for me to make the decision to go to college this year and it wasn't fair they left us in the dark for so long.....

Advertisement