Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Speeds

Options
  • 18-09-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

So I was told fibre was in my area.  I haven't rang to check to see if its available to me or just others in my area. However it did say that I will only be getting 50MB download. Is there anyway to see how much uploud I will get with that and how much of the 50mb Download will I actually get?

Also, why will I be getting so much under the possible 100MB download speed ? Especially when I can see the green box from my house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

So I was told fibre was in my area.  I haven't rang to check to see if its available to me or just others in my area. However it did say that I will only be getting 50MB download. Is there anyway to see how much uploud I will get with that and how much of the 50mb Download will I actually get?

Also, why will I be getting so much under the possible 100MB download speed ? Especially when I can see the green box from my house.

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Feel free to PM me your address and I'll see if I can offer you a better indication of what speeds to expect. I'm unaware why you were informed of 50MB speeds but when I look in to this I'm sure I will be able to offer you more information on this.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Feel free to PM me your address and I'll see if I can offer you a better indication of what speeds to expect. I'm unaware why you were informed of 50MB speeds but when I look in to this I'm sure I will be able to offer you more information on this.

Thanks
    Al
    Pm sent yesterday at about 8pm. Just in case it got buried in your inbox

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for your PM Dohnny Jepp

I can see that your line is provisionally pre-qualifying for 50MB and I can see that efibre is set to go live to your area on the 8th of October.

The upload speed that can be attributed to 50MB is commonly between up to 8MB and 12MB  (which in my opinion will be easily obtainable) although specific upload speeds cannot be guaranteed.

I'm afraid eircom will be unable to details the technical reasons on why your line cannot support more than 50MB however I do feel that it may be in relation to the situation of the cabinet not being fully active yet, I may be wrong which is why I advise getting back to me closer to the 8th of October and I will double check this for you.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

I can see that your line is provisionally pre-qualifying for 50MB and I can see that efibre is set to go live to your area on the 8th of October.

The upload speed that can be attributed to 50MB is commonly between up to 8MB and 12MB  (which in my opinion will be easily obtainable) although specific upload speeds cannot be guaranteed.

I'm afraid eircom will be unable to details the technical reasons on why your line cannot support more than 50MB however I do feel that it may be in relation to the situation of the cabinet not being fully active yet, I may be wrong which is why I advise getting back to me closer to the 8th of October and I will double check this for you.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the info Al, I'll check back with you the week of the 8th.

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Al
    No worries Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Al
    No worries Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al, It's a week from the 8th now, Wondering if you have any more information available to you. I placed my order and it said on the order it would be 50mb. Hopefully it will be increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Al
    No worries Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al, It's a week from the 8th now, Wondering if you have any more information available to you. I placed my order and it said on the order it would be 50mb. Hopefully it will be increased.
    Hi Dohnny Jepp

I would advise Posting here or PMing on the 8th and we will check with the Online orders back office team that this has been placed as they would not have put this order up before that date.

I believe it is unlikely that the speed will be different to the 50mb already advised as this would have been based on an actual speed test conducted on the line. As you know its advertised as 'up to 100mb' but speeds can differ from address to address based on distance from the cabinet etc.

Colm

Hi Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Al
    No worries Dohnny Jepp

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Dohnny Jepp

I would advise Posting here or PMing on the 8th and we will check with the Online orders back office team that this has been placed as they would not have put this order up before that date.

I believe it is unlikely that the speed will be different to the 50mb already advised as this would have been based on an actual speed test conducted on the line. As you know its advertised as 'up to 100mb' but speeds can differ from address to address based on distance from the cabinet etc.

Colm
    Thanks Colm, I'll wait for the 8th and will enquire again. 50MB is quite a significant drop off from the advertised up to 100MB download.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Pop your landline number into this amazing website and it will tell you exactly what your line can handle.

It uses Eircoms own database it just won't lie to you, there's already a pre-exisiting thread regarding ISPs lying to their customers about speeds.

http://vodafone.ie/utility/broadband/linecheck.shtml?perlico_areacode=###&perlico_number=#######

Replace XXX with your own area cod and landline number.

Edit: If that's not working for whatever reason use this website, it uses the same database.

http://speedcheck.mikenny.com/

Pop your landline number into this amazing website and it will tell you exactly what your line can handle.

It uses Eircoms own database it just won't lie to you, there's already a pre-exisiting thread regarding ISPs lying to their customers about speeds.

http://vodafone.ie/utility/broadband/linecheck.shtml?perlico_areacode=###&perlico_number=#######

Edit: If that's not working for whatever reason use this website, it uses the same database.

I don't believe I'm being lied to, but thanks for the link I'll check it out.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dohnny Jepp

We will aim to offer you the best indication available

Thanks
    Al

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm not sure if Eircom do it but Vodafone definitely do, you put your landline number into their speed checker and it might say up to 100Mb but on that website in reality it might say up to 60Mb.

It's just a very useful tool to have.

I'm not sure if Eircom do it but Vodafone definitely do, you put your landline number into their speed checker and it might say up to 100Mb but on that website in reality it might say up to 60Mb.

Hi AlanS181824

I agree, that website is quite useful and I thank you for sharing this :)

If a line can qualify for efibre we can offer the same insight although speeds are advised on the basis of 'up to' as WIFI can be affected by distance etc..

Thanks
    Al

Hi AlanS181824

If a line can qualify for efibre we can offer the same insight although speeds are advised on the basis of 'up to' as WIFI can be affected by distance etc..

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al. I sent you a PM. Just letting you know here in case it gets lost in your inbox.

Hi AlanS181824

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al. I sent you a PM. Just letting you know here in case it gets lost in your inbox.

Thanks for the reminder Dohnny Jepp (and apologies for the delays)

I have had this looked in to and the max speed eircom can offer is indeed up to 50MB. I have asked efibre operations why this is the case and they have advised me that although you may be able to see the cabinet from your house lines are not laid in direct sight of the cabinet and distance from the cabinet can affect speeds. I asked if this was the main reason however they did advise that there are technical details and reasons beyond the level they can discus and ultimately 50MB will be the most eircom can offer you. I understand that this is disappointing and it is something to consider before signing up.

Thanks
    Al

Hi AlanS181824

Thanks
    Al

I have had this looked in to and the max speed eircom can offer is indeed up to 50MB. I have asked efibre operations why this is the case and they have advised me that although you may be able to see the cabinet from your house lines are not laid in direct sight of the cabinet and distance from the cabinet can affect speeds. I asked if this was the main reason however they did advise that there are technical details and reasons beyond the level they can discus and ultimately 50MB will be the most eircom can offer you. I understand that this is disappointing and it is something to consider before signing up.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for letting me know Al.

Hi AlanS181824

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for letting me know Al.
    No worries Dohnny Jepp

Let me know if you have any other queries in future

Al

Advertisement