Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't seem to stop smoothly..help?

• 18-09-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Test in a couple of weeks and something that I didn't realise is a problem is definitely a problem. Big car 1.5 litre and having problems coming to a complete stop smoothly. In 2nd or 3rd gear and I begin slowing down (coming to a stop sign) I get to about 13km/hr and the car starts to shudder (feels like it's about to cut out) so I put in the clutch and stop but no matter how I do it (to make sure I'm not coasting) it's rarely a smooth stop. Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm having the same trouble and my instructor says I'm too hard on the break. He said to treat the break like squeezing a babies hand if that makes any sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

First thing is not to wait until it starts shuddering before you press the clutch.

When you are practicing- get a feel for how the car responds when you press the clutch during breaking. Try to get a feel for how much brake pressure you need as the car is slowing down. When you are almost stopped you can start to ease off on the brake pedal.

In a safe place to practice - try easing off on the brake pedal more and more when you are almost stopped. This will allow you to smooth out your stopping. You want to find the balance between easing off too much (and taking too long to stop) and braking too hard.

The amount of brake pressure you apply will not be the same all the time during braking - practice will give you a feel of when to ease off on the brake (or press a bit harder).

Make sure you practice this in a safe place when you won't have traffic coming up behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

You are worrying too much about coasting.

Begin braking.
    Press the clutch to the floor a little sooner than you normally do.
    Increase the pressure on the brake pedal until you stop.

You just need to practice your timing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

If you're stopping in 2nd or 3rd gear you need to clutch! Ideally, you should be switching down gears - I think! Break gently, but if your car is shuddering, it's in too high of a gear for the speed, so either clutch and break or change down a gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Agree with all replies but being told by instructor that I'm coasting when I am coming to a stop and the speed should be lower than 13 km/hr before I put in the clutch. It's very tough with a 1.5 Diesel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

Blingy wrote: »
    Agree with all replies but being told by instructor that I'm coasting when I am coming to a stop and the speed should be lower than 13 km/hr before I put in the clutch. It's very tough with a 1.5 Diesel engine.

13km/hr in first maybe! Not in second or third!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would say you are leaving in 3rd gear.

You can go from 4th to 2nd skipping 3rd if you feel that may help as you are labouring the engine.

Brake gentle and let your speed down a bit before changing down and just do everything slowly/smoothly.

Go to a quiet place and keep moving and stopping and get a feel for it as at 13km/h it should be fine in 2nd but be planning on depressing clutch around that time.

You may actually be braking too early and leaving too much of a distance to where you need to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are you leaving off the brake a little in the last second or so of breaking? Energy required to slow down increases with the square of the speed, so you need to have a lot more pressure on the brake if you're at say 15 km/h than just before you come to a halt. Also you if you want to avoid the jerk an the end your foot should barely be touching the brake as you stop. Practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I would say you are leaving in 3rd gear.

You can go from 4th to 2nd skipping 3rd if you feel that may help as you are labouring the engine.

Brake gentle and let your speed down a bit before changing down and just do everything slowly/smoothly.

Go to a quiet place and keep moving and stopping and get a feel for it as at 13km/h it should be fine in 2nd but be planning on depressing clutch around that time.

You may actually be braking too early and leaving too much of a distance to where you need to stop.

Yep I wonder am I braking too early.
    Thanks all for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Blingy wrote: »

If your instructor is saying the speed should be lower then 13kmh, in 3rd gear, in a diesel engine car, before clutching... they are wrong!
    Maybe they don't drive a diesel car. Maybe they don't have a clue generally. Maybe you misunderstood. But it is acceptable to clutch a diesel engine in 3rd before 13khm.

PS: You are probably not braking too early. That is unlikely to be a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Most people will get marks against them for coasting when doing things like, clutching in while going around a corner for no real reason. Or the same on roundabouts etc. You will not get marks for coasting if you clutch in at say 25km/h when coming to a complete stop.

Advertisement