Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bike shop in Cork City

• 18-09-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a bike under the cycle to Work scheme, most likely a racer.

Can someone recommend a good bike shop in Cork city and surrounds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

IMO they all have they're flaws. This is just my own experience.

The Edge will have the largest selection but I couldn't get them to take me seriously about buying a bike.

Victoria cycles aren't bad, I bought my last bike from them but found then uninterested in follow up issues.

Kilgrews have always been helpful but only bought bits & pieces from them. They did go above and beyond in trying to get the bike I wanted in my size.

Never dealt with Cycle Scene so can't say.

McCarthy Cycles on the old mallow road are top notch for service but haven't bought anything from them.

A few guys in work have bought from Giant in Ballincollig and had awful experiences in term of customer service.

Westend Cycles in Ballincollig were great to deal with when buying my first bike but never dealt with them for service, etc as the bike was stolen 3 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The two smaller fellas in height in Kilgrews between the Coal Quay & North Main St are sound as they come in my experience. There's a taller fella who seems grand too but it's the other 2 I'd look to deal with, just maybe on a personal level, very old-school Cork lads. Though it's a pretty small shop but they certainly have some nice bikes in there, & again in my experience great lads to have a connection with looking forwards.

The Edge near the Kinsale Roundabout is size wise on a different scale altogether but then maybe lacks the personal touch. Personally I'd at least look into Kilgrews first off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Find West End in Ballincollig nice to deal with. Got my bike serviced there a few times and bought bits and bobs. Not bought a bike there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

I second the comments for Kilgrews. Brian especially knows his onions, very practical, never tried to ride me on service costs etc. It is a small shop alright compared to the Edge but I suspect you're paying a premium in the Edge that isn't worth much when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ultegra

Noel in West End Ballincollig knows his stuff. Thumbs up fo Kilgrews also - from my experience they always try to keep costs reasonable. While they might not have a huge shop no problem sourcing stuff if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

dogsears wrote: »
    I second the comments for Kilgrews. Brian especially knows his onions, very practical, never tried to ride me on service costs etc. It is a small shop alright compared to the Edge but I suspect you're paying a premium in the Edge that isn't worth much when you get home.

I'd third it - great after sales at Kilgrews, nice vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donaldo

Bought a few bikes in Kilgrews over the years, always very sound and never felt I got screwed by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Would also recommend Kilgrews,always found the lads in there sound to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Another one for kilgrews. Bought my current bike there and get it serviced there too. Old school bike shop and they know their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Edge for window shopping but think Kilgrews is better to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

While I'd agree that Kilgrews are great to deal with you should consider Halfords Boardman range of bikes, excellent intro bike compared to others in that price bracket available in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Tzarkahn

Edge will do your sizing with a laser machine thingy, you could go there and get your dimensions and then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Mccarthy Cycles on the old mallow rd are excellent, john is a friendly guy and knows his stuff, very helpful I always found.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Wiggles88

Anyone try the bike shed on Tower st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    Anyone try the bike shed on Tower st?

i think they cater more for students and school kids.

if you have an idea about what you want, Kilgrews or West End Ballincollig should be able to order it for you. (Noel did for me anyway, for less euro than recommended retail price!)
    few others to consider:

Cork Bicycle Services (he fixed an issue after 30mins, Victoria Cross had given up on it)
    Carrolls, Dillons cross (bought my first bike there, found him decent.
    Speedyspokes (Rverstick/Carrigaine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

John McCarthy on the old Mallow road is THE man. Really nice fella, no BS just good old fashioned service and good advice. Top amateur rider as well BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Power10

Have bought from halfords - a board man. Fine bike for under 1k. Stay away tho for any service. Cork bicycle services for that. The edge aren't interested unless ur spending 2k and even then it's a struggle to feel theyre interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

I found west end cycles to be very good,went there recently to get a bike but I was looking for a specific type which was unavailable and noel had no problems pointing me towards another shop which might be able to help,their tops for a good service,i got my first road bike off them and theyre straight and honest to deal with,theres another shop in dungarvin if your down that way which are very good also,o'mahnys on sexton street

Advertisement