Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need your opinion on places around Ongar, Blanchardstown

Options
  • 18-09-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, Every one. I'm new to boards and i have seen good suggestion by people in this forum. I am looking to buy a house in and around ongar.

I have seen some duplex and some terraced houses specifically around Stralem Mews, Stralem Terrace, Delhurst Avenue, Analy Grove, Hayworth drive etc.

Can you please let me know about the safety around these places. I have a kid who is 2 & 1/2 years. Are these good places to bring up a family. I am new to dublin and does not know much about ongar and surrounding places.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

srav wrote: »
    Hi, Every one. I'm new to boards and i have seen good suggestion by people in this forum. I am looking to buy a house in and around ongar.

I have seen some duplex and some terraced houses specifically around Stralem Mews, Stralem Terrace, Delhurst Avenue, Analy Grove, Hayworth drive etc.

Can you please let me know about the safety around these places. I have a kid who is 2 & 1/2 years. Are these good places to bring up a family. I am new to dublin and does not know much about ongar and surrounding places.

Thanks in advance.

I've been living in the area since 2008, its a nice enough area with good transport links, lots of schools and the wee village has pretty much everything you could ask for.

You will probably be warned about the high number of non nationals in the area but I've never had a problem and get on with my neighbours whatever their nationality.

If you are planning to buy in the area and its a house make sure you ask Pyrite, its a bit of a problem in some of the areas but defiantly worth asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 srav

liamog wrote: »
    I've been living in the area since 2008, its a nice enough area with good transport links, lots of schools and the wee village has pretty much everything you could ask for.

You will probably be warned about the high number of non nationals in the area but I've never had a problem and get on with my neighbours whatever their nationality.

If you are planning to buy in the area and its a house make sure you ask Pyrite, its a bit of a problem in some of the areas but defiantly worth asking about.

Hi Thanks a lot for the reply and your suggestion. Do we need to ask EA or seller about the pyrite? or do we need to get a surveyor to check for this. sorry if my question sounds silly or stupid. I'm new to this and have no knowledge about this.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

srav wrote: »
    Hi Thanks a lot for the reply and your suggestion. Do we need to ask EA or seller about the pyrite? or do we need to get a surveyor to check for this. sorry if my question sounds silly or stupid. I'm new to this and have no knowledge about this.

Thanks

I'd definitely mention it to the surveyor so he can keep an eye out for the signs the EA may be able to find out if the seller has had a test done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I believe some areas of Ongar were more affected by Pyrite more than others (up near Hayworth and residential units closer to Dunnes). The big yellow house opposite the chipper has pyrite and was sold at a knock down price recently because of it. Definitely have your surveyor check this out.

As regards the area in general, I'm here almost 10 years (my name is a clue!!:). I do like it but I do not like the high rented to owner occupied ratio. 70% according to our local representatives. I've nothing against renters, it's just that the transient, high turnover of such residents means it is harder to get to know your neighbours and many of them potentially do not have the same vested interest in the upkeep or progression of the area. There is a high % of non nationals too which has never been a problem for me.

A number of schools, public transport links (Hansfield train station and frequent 39/39a buses) and local shops and green areas/playgrounds, walks and cycle lane facilities are as good as anywhere. I would say it's a decent place to bring up a child

PS - you'll also have to pay annual management fees to live in the areas you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

In my view Ongar is great for families - you've lots of play schools in the area and three primary schools in walking distance, as well as two community centres with lots of kids activities like gymnastics, football, Gymboree, rugby and dancing.

The playground in Ongar is bad, but there are lovely ones in Hansfield or a drive away at Dunboyne or Blanchardstown.

Just make sure you've got a ground level entrance so you don't have to worry about buggies on stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 srav

In my view Ongar is great for families - you've lots of play schools in the area and three primary schools in walking distance, as well as two community centres with lots of kids activities like gymnastics, football, Gymboree, rugby and dancing.

The playground in Ongar is bad, but there are lovely ones in Hansfield or a drive away at Dunboyne or Blanchardstown.

Just make sure you've got a ground level entrance so you don't have to worry about buggies on stairs.

Thanks a lot for the reply. It was very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Been in Delhurst for a year now and find it a very quiet place. Good amenities and local services. The only thing missing from the area is a post office (Hartstown being the nearest AFAIK).

There are annual management fees as mentioned above, but they do a very good job of keeping the area in a nice condition.

Due to the high number of renters, there is a distinct lack of community though. Everyone just keeps to themselves. Not a soul in sight last New Years eve for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Due to the high number of renters, there is a distinct lack of community though. Everyone just keeps to themselves. Not a soul in sight last New Years eve for example.

Can I ask you what you mean by this? Do you mean people coming out on the street to sing Auld Lang Syne?

I think there is a great sense of community in the area, tidy towns, sports teams, classes, the local pub and coffee shops.

On Halloween you'll see lots of children out trick or treating, the teenagers are always hanging out in the green, the pub always seems active. There are family fun days in the community centre and schools.

Can I ask you what you mean by this? Do you mean people coming out on the street to sing Auld Lang Syne?

I think there is a great sense of community in the area, tidy towns, sports teams, classes, the local pub and coffee shops.

On Halloween you'll see lots of children out trick or treating, the teenagers are always hanging out in the green, the pub always seems active. There are family fun days in the community centre and schools.
    Perhaps it's just because I don't have any kids, don't drink and don't like coffee :D . I just personally find the road I live on to have a lot of people who keep to themselves. It's probably just because I came from an area that organised picnics/outings/events etc throughout the summer and everyone knew everyone. I just don't see that here.

But it is still a nice area and I would recommend it to anyone.

Perhaps it's just because I don't have any kids, don't drink and don't like coffee :D . I just personally find the road I live on to have a lot of people who keep to themselves. It's probably just because I came from an area that organised picnics/outings/events etc throughout the summer and everyone knew everyone. I just don't see that here.

But it is still a nice area and I would recommend it to anyone.

You should get a dog, there's a good community of dog owners in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Yeah, can second that, my father lives in the area and recently got a dog, apparently it did lead to him meeting quite a few new people.

Alas, I'm a cat person.

Advertisement