Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Has any ST holders received their tickets yet btw? Not sure if mine arrived or not and I've put it somewhere....

No. not yet. Wouldn't expect them just yet though either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Has any ST holders received their tickets yet btw? Not sure if mine arrived or not and I've put it somewhere....

Tickets for the Champions Cup QF? Nah. They only decided the date/time less than a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

They can buy him out if the IRFU let us sign a better replacement and the ARU pay enough.

You going to post the same comment on every page?

So I guess you don't like him? :P

As mentioned I have watched him live a few times and like him, he needs some work but has shown potential to be a class player. If you see what is in the market in the second row he is probably one of the best player Leinster can get in there budget. A bit of work and maybe give him a bit of rest and preseason and I think Leinster will see the rewards next season...

If he is as poor as you are suggesting then why out of all the players that have left Australia are they looking to buy out his contract and bring him back for the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Big Nelly wrote: »
    You going to post the same comment on every page?

So I guess you don't like him? :P

As mentioned I have watched him live a few times and like him, he needs some work but has shown potential to be a class player. If you see what is in the market in the second row he is probably one of the best player Leinster can get in there budget. A bit of work and maybe give him a bit of rest and preseason and I think Leinster will see the rewards next season...

If he is as poor as you are suggesting then why out of all the players that have left Australia are they looking to buy out his contract and bring him back for the World Cup?

I'm not sure that he is settled and am worried that he will go Sykes like.

I like him as a player. He had a falling out with the previous Australia manager and was told that his international career was over so he came north. Cheika is a big fan so wants him back.

He will want to play international rugby so make the aru pay for him to get him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not sure that he is settled and am worried that he will go Sykes like.

I like him as a player. He had a falling out with the previous Australia manager and was told that his international career was over so he came north. Cheika is a big fan so wants him back.

He will want to play international rugby so make the aru pay for him to get him out.

Sykes left because his girlfriend was pregnant when they arrived and they didn't want to have the child in Ireland. They were uncertain about settling here from the moment they set foot in the country.

The ARU are broke. Bill Pulver is on record as saying they need to cut costs or face receivership. There will be no payment from them or offer unless Leinster are happy to simply release him.

He has started 37 (that makes Heaslip look fragile) games in the past 12 months with 5 more bench appearances. He is facing borderline exhaustion at this point and has still managed to show some flashes of real quality.

Who told him his international career was over? Mackenzie? Douglas speaks well of him still; he wasn't one of the players stood down for boozing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

So can we expect a fair few players released for Leinster this weekend then?

Would like to see:

Bent - Strauss - Furlong
    McCarthy - Douglas
    Ryan - Conan - Jennings

McGrath - Gopperth
    Kearney - D'arcy - Fitzgerald/Te'o - Fanning
    Kirchner

Dundon, Dooley, Hagan, Marshall, VDF, Reddan?!, Reid, McGrath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

ssaye2 wrote: »

Haha, I just read the hyperlink and thought Leinster were dismissing him, as in releasing him.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise T'eo was struggling with rib and neck issues.

.ak wrote: »
    I didn't realise T'eo was struggling with rib and neck issues.

hopefully he is ok, must be very frustrating

I really liked his cameo, seems to have a good stride too with ball in hand

Oh wait I remember he got a kicking in the ribs against Cardiff. Must've done a bit of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

MattD wrote: »

Would like to see:

Bent - Strauss - Furlong
    McCarthy - Douglas
    Ryan - Conan - Jennings

McGrath - Gopperth
    Kirchner

That's a pretty sexy team for the international window

Would like to see:

Bent - Strauss - Furlong
    McCarthy - Douglas
    Ryan - Conan - Jennings

McGrath - Gopperth
    Kirchner

Reckon we won't see Fitzgerald or Reddan. The latter being injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Do we actually know that? Haven't seen any quotes from the press conference but the reports during the week were that he was fit.

• Advertisement

Do we actually know that? Haven't seen any quotes from the press conference but the reports during the week were that he was fit.

I honestly have no problem with Boss, and whilst a lot of positions are debatable in terms of 2nd or fringe players, there's a clear pecking order for the scrumhalves. Not a chance Boss is ahead of Reddan.

I reckon the 23 shirt will be Fitzgerald/McGrath with Fitzgerald as 24th man for Ireland and 23 for Leinster if unused

I honestly have no problem with Boss, and whilst a lot of positions are debatable in terms of 2nd or fringe players, there's a clear pecking order for the scrumhalves. Not a chance Boss is ahead of Reddan.

From rte.ie
    Number eight Heaslip is fit again after knee and shoulder problems, while Isaac Boss retains his place on the bench despite Eoin Reddan's return to full fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulon vs Leinster or Bath, if it happens, will be at the Velodrome. Confirmed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Toulon vs Leinster or Bath, if it happens, will be at the Velodrome. Confirmed today.

They have to beat wasps first?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

May as well go the whole hog..

Marseille.......nice!

From rte.ie

If he plays for Leinster I'll believe it.

If Reddan is unavailable we have Cooney back now so it's not a big disaster, I got the impression that maybe Reddan was 'fit' but not in the training systems long enough for Joe's liking. Still question marks over BT and Zane, so I really hope Luke is released so we have a bit of assuredness in key areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

If Reddan is unavailable we have Cooney back now so it's not a big disaster, I got the impression that maybe Reddan was 'fit' but not in the training systems long enough for Joe's liking. Still question marks over BT and Zane, so I really hope Luke is released so we have a bit of assuredness in key areas.

When/why did Cooney return? I didn't see any mention of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

When/why did Cooney return? I didn't see any mention of it.

I thought quite the opposite - that he had signed a long term agreement with Connacht?

He's back til the end of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

He's back til the end of the season

A loan back so, with the permanent move next year still?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's still a Leinster player. He isn't a Connacht player until next season. This is simple a recall from being on loan.

A loan back so, with the permanent move next year still?

loan revoked but he still has a contract for next season in connacht

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If he plays for Leinster I'll believe it.

He'll be held back in case of injury I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Further to this, the Velodrome without a main stand wasn't 100% full for Toulon vs Munster last season so I don't think there will be a problem with tickets for those who want to go. There were loads on public sale last season, but they weren't the cheapest! At 67,000 capacity and with the new corporate facilities it wouldn't surprise me if we see a Champions Cup Final there in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Pity, Toulon is a great rugby town for an away day. Marseilles will definitely be easier to get to though.

I'd say no one really expected Boss to be figuring so much in the 6N, so Cooney was parachuted back! Still our player for now!

I see Toulon are playing Toulouse in Marseilles at the end of March so will be more used to the stadium if/when we get there.

I see Toulon are playing Toulouse in Marseilles at the end of March so will be more used to the stadium if/when we get there.

Toulon are well used to that stadium anyway.

LEINSTER:

15. Dave Kearney
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Noel Reid
    11. Darragh Fanning
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Michael Bent
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Tom Denton
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
    8. Jack Conan

16. Aaron Dundon
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Jamie Hagan
    19. Mike McCarthy
    20. Josh Van Der Flier
    21. John Cooney
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Luke Fitzgerald

• Advertisement

Cos team announcements in text form are, like, so two years ago:

B9uQ3nSIgAETmZY.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fitzgerald released then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pretty much as expected, good to see Marsh on the bench and Fitz available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No Ruddock, bit of a shame.

Still a great team. Excited to see them play.

NO update on Zane unless I missed it

Anyway, great to see Te'o, McFadden and Kearney back in the saddle, a seriously strong team considering all the absentees.

No sign of Ruddock or Kirchner though.

• Advertisement

Mike Ross dropped entirely again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fitzgerald released then.

The game is on Sunday so I expect he could still be 24th man for Ireland, he was still training with the Ireland squad as of yesterday

Tox56 wrote: »
    The game is on Sunday so I expect he could still be 24th man for Ireland, he was still training with the Ireland squad as of yesterday

And Earls starting for Munster.

If the fixtures were reversed it'd be the other way round too I'd guess.

Well MOC commented on how the guys coming from the Irish camp wouldn't have been involved with the prep work for the game so rightly so they're on the bench.

Still, just seems a shame that Luke is on the bench for a Dragons game when Ireland are playing France despite all the hard work he put in to recover in time and also be in top form.

I wonder if playing more at 13 hindered that...

Te'o is OK then! Pity no Kirchner. But otherwise that is a nice enogh team.

Luke!!!! So long as he doesn't get used for Ireland, I presume.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement