Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cooney is a far more rounded player than McGrath and always has been. He is a very solid scrum half who moves the ball away pretty well; his decision making can be a little patchy. The thing is, he isn't excellent at any one aspect. McGrath is potentially world class is a couple of facets and severely lacking in arguably his main one. I haven't seen much of Nick McCarthy but his showing against France reminded me of Cooney at the same level. As McCarthy is captain, I'm hoping there's a bit more to him, though.

He seems to have improved steadily though even since leaving Leinster. When he came on against Edinburgh for Connacht, he was an improvement on Marmion who was far looser. The pack started being brought onto the ball more sharply and organised, going through phases and gaining yards.

It's a tough call but I'm guessing their respective ages was influential in Leinster sticking with McGrath, him being 3 years younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    Cooney is a far more rounded player than McGrath and always has been. He is a very solid scrum half who moves the ball away pretty well; his decision making can be a little patchy. The thing is, he isn't excellent at any one aspect. McGrath is potentially world class is a couple of facets and severely lacking in arguably his main one. I haven't seen much of Nick McCarthy but his showing against France reminded me of Cooney at the same level. As McCarthy is captain, I'm hoping there's a bit more to him, though.

He seems to have improved steadily though even since leaving Leinster. When he came on against Edinburgh for Connacht, he was an improvement on Marmion who was far looser. The pack started being brought onto the ball more sharply and organised, going through phases and gaining yards.

It's a tough call but I'm guessing their respective ages was influential in Leinster sticking with McGrath, him being 3 years younger.

You're also assuming that Leinster had to pick one. John might've just thought the opportunity for more game time out west was more appealing.

Reddan, D'Arcy and Moore back training with Leinster yesterday, might see them on Friday.

http://inpho.ie/assignment/Leinster-Rugby-Squad-Training/Ijed2Wuf-GuHc9JDnVYlDg..a?ts=FaNE87BqhJWapFmcTn-E5A..a

Ruddock, Kirchner and McLaughlin there too which is encouraging.

Surprised Healy wasn't released, or O'Brien. Maybe the don't want to risk them.

So we could see a team of

Bent
    Dundon
    Furlong
    Douglas
    Maccer
    Ruddock
    Jennings
    Conan
    Reddan
    Gopperth
    Kearney
    D'arcy
    Teo
    McFadden
    Kirchner

Bench could be tricky, depends on who's released. Potentially

Cronin, Hagan, Moore, Marshall, Ryan, McGrath, Marsh, Fanning/McGrath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Brian o'Meara is only 38, we could get him in for some short term cover for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

.ak wrote: »
    Surprised Healy wasn't released, or O'Brien. Maybe the don't want to risk them.

So we could see a team of

Bent
    Dundon
    Furlong
    Douglas
    Maccer
    Ruddock
    Jennings
    Conan
    Reddan
    Gopperth
    Kearney
    D'arcy
    Teo
    McFadden
    Kirchner

Bench could be tricky, depends on who's released. Potentially

Cronin, Hagan, Moore, Marshall, Ryan, McGrath, Marsh, Fanning/McGrath

Don't forget Luke!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't forget Luke!

Jesus, knew I forgot something. Could be 13 or 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jesus, knew I forgot something. Could be 13 or 23.

Or 11 if Joe wants to have a look at him on the wing?

Brian o'Meara is only 38, we could get him in for some short term cover for next year

Not sure if serious....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm sure Alain Rolland has a bit more spare time now that he's dropped the reffing gig!

Leinster likely RWC tourists list

Very Likely Possibles Maybes
    McGrath Strauss Ryan
    Healy McCarthy D.Kearney
    Cronin Boss
    Ross Murphy
    Moore McFadden
    Toner Fitzgerald
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Ruddock
    Reddan
    Sexton
    Madigan
    Kearney

Currently contracted players. Bold for 'not in above table' and so almost certainly available.

LH - Healy, McGrath, Bent, Byrne
    HK - Cronin, Strauss, Byrne, Dundon, Tracey
    TH - Ross, Moore, Furlong
    SR - Toner, McCarthy, Douglas, Marshall, Denton, M.Kearney
    BS - Ruddock, McLaughlin, Ryan
    OS - SOB, Jennings, Van Der Flier
    8 - Heaslip, Murphy, Conan
    SH - Reddan, Boss, McGrath
    FH - Sexton, Madigan, Marsh
    LW - D.Kearney, SCM
    IS - D'Arcy, Reid,
    OS - Fitzgerald, Te'eo, Macken
    RW - McFadden, Fanning, McGrath
    FB - Kearney, Kirchner

I'm missing loads. Help me out here?

• Advertisement

McFadden, Collie O'Shea is a senior too though I heard he's leaving?

McGrath Strauss Ryan
    Healy McCarthy D.Kearney
    Cronin Boss
    Ross Murphy
    Moore McFadden
    Toner
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Ruddock
    Reddan
    Sexton
    Madigan
    Kearney

Currently contracted players. Bold for 'not in above table' and so almost certainly available.

LH - Healy, McGrath, Bent, Byrne
    HK - Cronin, Strauss, Byrne, Dundon
    TH - Ross, Moore, Furlong
    SR - Toner, McCarthy, Douglas, Marshall, Denton, M.Kearney
    BS - Ruddock, McLaughlin, Ryan
    OS - SOB, Jennings, Van Der Flier
    8 - Heaslip, Murphy, Conan
    SH - Reddan, Boss, McGrath
    FH - Sexton, Madigan, Marsh
    LW - D.Kearney,
    IS - D'Arcy, Reid,
    OS - Fitzgerald, Te'eo
    RW - McFadden, Fanning, McGrath
    FB - Kearney, Kirchner

I'm missing loads. Help me out here?

Tracey at hooker, Macken at OC, I could say Sean McCarthy but I don't think he counts and SCM on the wing. Will we see any Academy lads promoted? Not sure who is where in their Academy contracts tbh.

EDIT: The Byrne twins are still in the Academy as are Marsh and VDF AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Can't see how D.Kearney has fallen that far out? I am sure he would be pushing for starting spot versus Zebo only for injury against Wasps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What's the difference between a possible and a maybe?

Hagz wrote: »
    What's the difference between a possible and a maybe?

More things need to happen for a maybe. 2/3 players out of form/injured instead of 1 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What's a perhaps then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

McGrath Strauss Ryan
    Healy McCarthy D.Kearney
    Cronin Boss
    Ross Murphy
    Moore McFadden
    Toner
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Ruddock
    Reddan
    Sexton
    Madigan
    Kearney

Ouch. Poor D'Arcy. Not even a "maybe"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Ouch. Poor D'Arcy. Not even a "maybe"?

Nor Fitzgerald either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

John Cooney back with Connacht today....the roundabout goes on....I read posts here saying Leinster had called him back for the season but this was never confirmed anywhere....I'd say he just went back for that one game and with Reddan back fit, he's out west again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting that Leinster specifically mentioned that Reddan trained fully following the injury against Wasps. I guess he hasn't trained fully until now? I had thought he was already back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

S12b wrote: »
    John Cooney back with Connacht today....the roundabout goes on....I read posts here saying Leinster had called him back for the season but this was never confirmed anywhere....I'd say he just went back for that one game and with Reddan back fit, he's out west again!

Probably just left his spare boots in his Ma's house and popped home to collect them, fancied a game while he was home.

Interesting that Leinster specifically mentioned that Reddan trained fully following the injury against Wasps. I guess he hasn't trained fully until now? I had thought he was already back.

IRFU said he was fit but then again they might've said anything for the mind games element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13250.php#.VOSuVeasX94

No mention of Ruddock..kinda thought he might be in the mix for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is Kirchner's injury sorted? Also about Kirchner, is his contract up at the end of this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is Kirchner's injury sorted? Also about Kirchner, is his contract up at the end of this season?

"and similarly Zane Kirchner has recovered fully from the leg injury that has kept him out of action since early January. "

and Yes his contract is up

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »
    "and similarly Zane Kirchner has recovered fully from the leg injury that has kept him out of action since early January. "

and Yes his contract is up
    Oops - stupid me, I hadn't read the update.

Wonder if we'll keep Kirchner. I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

would have loved if AAC had come in instead.

would have loved if AAC had come in instead.

Apparently he was approached at the time along with Drew Mitchell but they weren't interested. Those lads can command serious cash from France. Not too many Aussies coming to Ireland these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Met AAC in Melbourne in 2013 and mentioned that I hoped he would come to Leinster, his response - "was very close but you went for Kirch instead". Not sure if he was implying that he was available but Leinster picked Zane over him or what tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

He's hardly going to tell you we're a bunch of povs and he expected to be offered 600k a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Me too. Kirchner reminds me of Isa in his worth ethic and eagerness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

19543261 wrote: »
    Me too. Kirchner reminds me of Isa in his worth ethic and eagerness.

He's a poor man's Isa to be fair.

I think he's a good signing and would happily keep him but Isa was a couple of notches above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think hes fairly mediocre for somebody taking up a foreign slot

I think he's had some average performances which seems to be souring some people's view of him, but I personally think he's an outstanding player and we're lucky to have him. The issue is he shines at FB but he isn't great on the wing.

I think he's had some average performances which seems to be souring some people's view of him, but I personally think he's an outstanding player and we're lucky to have him. The issue is he shines at FB but he isn't great on the wing.

Totally agree and importantly at times when Leinster have not been playing well he has still showed a lot of class and created chances. Lot's of players this year haven't impressed unless the team as a whole has clicked, Kirchner is an exception to this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hes far from mediocre ..... he has that extra class at this level.

he has just been disrupted with injury and hasnt had a clear run in one particular position

though he was excellent in last years final

Yep, mediocre is something that I would apply to player like Fanning. Although if Fanning was a NIQ I wonder if he'd be saying he was a 'good quality Andrew Goodman style workman'. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be happy for him to stay but outstanding is a bit much.

Yep, mediocre is something that I would apply to player like Fanning. Although if Fanning was a NIQ I wonder if he'd be saying he was a 'good quality Andrew Goodman style workman'. ;)

banned

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd be happy for him to stay but outstanding is a bit much.

I'd happily say very good, but yeah outstanding is a stretch. There have been games where I'd have expected more from him and he's faded a bit into the background. In the right circumstances he can be excellent (the Pro12 final being a good example) but put him in a second string Leinster side and he seems to slip down to the level of those around him. We need him to be raising the bar for the others, not lowering his to match.

That said I'd have some sympathy for him as our back line simply haven't functioned well for the most part so it's always going to be harder for him to shine as a result.

• Advertisement

I'm a fan of Kirchner. I think he is class, but not outstanding - he has had some moderate enough performances. I don't think he is another Isa, and I think he has been a bit unfortunate being in our backline the way it has been playing, and also he has been pushed on to the wing a few times, where he does not play as well anyway. Also, he's had a couple of injuries. I'd really like us to have him ofr the WC.

Semantics then I guess.

So... team announcement in 20 mins. Probably picks itself to some extent, will be interesting to see if Healy or Madigan have been made available. Would hope to see Moore, D'Arcy and Fitzgerald to start, both Boss and Reddan to be involved too.

Could be a strong enough team.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Semantics then I guess.

youre just a glass half full type of person .ak ;)

15. Zane Kirchner
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Michael Bent
    2. Aaron Dundon
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Mike McCarthy
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
    8. Jack Conan

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Ben Marshall
    20. Dan Leavy
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Dave Kearney

Very strong team, no quibbles with it at all. And Healy on the bench too.

Dan Leavy on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is Dan Leavy fully fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Good to see Leavy getting an opportunity, hopefully he gets more than a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'm guessing Leavy is highly rated if he comes straight back in, and I'm also guessing Schmidt sees Fitz as a winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Noel Reid injured?

• Advertisement

Good call by molloyjh on Fitz to 11. I wonder if he has a stellar game there will he be considered for Ireland (if he doesn't get injured..)

Very, very strong team. Hopefully we can right some wrongs of last week. Thought DK deserved a start tho!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement