Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Noel Reid injured?

Himself, Denton and Strauss all got badly concussed last week and it's a 5 day turn around.

Moore starting is interesting. Risky business. Also McGrath dropped completely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    Moore starting is interesting. Risky business. Also McGrath dropped completely...

You can only presume that Moore is starting with the consent of the national management, he's short enough on game time so no harm in it really.

Just based on your assessment of the Dragons game, I don't think McGrath can be too peeved?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tox56 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Leavy is highly rated if he comes straight back in, and I'm also guessing Schmidt sees Fitz as a winger

I think Schmidt is looking at Fitz for the 23 shirt. I don't see him dropping Zebo for the England game, but if Luke can show his form on the wing after doing so at centre then that versatility could see him named ahead of Jones against England.
    Good call by molloyjh on Fitz to 11. I wonder if he has a stellar game there will he be considered for Ireland (if he doesn't get injured..)

Very, very strong team. Hopefully we can right some wrongs of last week. Thought DK deserved a start tho!

Yeah Dave was good I thought. I like Zane, but just coming back from injury I'd nearly be more inclined to put him in 23 and Dave at FB. But then Zanes experience from FB is far ahead of Daves.

Good to see Leavy in there, but I think anyone hoping to see Academy backs getting a run during the 6 Nations will be disappointed. We won't be able to afford it at this stage.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think Schmidt is looking at Fitz for the 23 shirt. I don't see him dropping Zebo for the England game, but if Luke can show his form on the wing after doing so at centre then that versatility could see him named ahead of Jones against England.

Yeah Dave was good I thought. I like Zane, but just coming back from injury I'd nearly be more inclined to put him in 23 and Dave at FB. But then Zanes experience from FB is far ahead of Daves.

Good to see Leavy in there, but I think anyone hoping to see Academy backs getting a run during the 6 Nations will be disappointed. We won't be able to afford it at this stage.

I thought McFadden was likely to lose out there.

• Advertisement

Good to see Reddan back tbh.

You can only presume that Moore is starting with the consent of the national management, he's short enough on game time so no harm in it really.

Just based on your assessment of the Dragons game, I don't think McGrath can be too peeved?

I'd have to agree really. Reddan had to start and Boss has been decent since the new year. McGrath wasn't as bad as some made out, and if this wasn't a crucial game for us (which it really is) then I'd have selected him. But with Reddan only just back Boss is the right call.

Did I just say that??? :o

No not at all. Although personally I would've given him another bite at the apple on the bench. Unless there's question marks over Reddan's knee still.

I thought McFadden was likely to lose out there.

Ferg was the only one putting in a real kick chase on Sunday. He was very aggressive in that during the second half and I thought it made a bit of a difference. If MOC really does want his players taking on more responsibility on the field then that's something I think he should be rewarded for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Strong team. Have a feeling this is going to be like that Treviso game last year where we ran in 9 tries. Of course, the weather was lovely that day and Fanning was playing (and got man of the match), neither of these things will happen this time.

• Advertisement

Dry but cold tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

At the moment we really don't have that many backs in the final year of the academy. It's just Marsh there at the moment.

Next year I think we'll see a few more young backs getting exposure, but I'm really excited about the season afterwards when we'll have a lot of quality coming through. I wouldn't expect to see academy backs getting much exposure at all this season, this is the year for forwards (Byrne brothers, VDF, Leavy). I hope, given the history of how locks have come through, Thornbury/Beirne are being semesterised and are concentrating on bulking up (and we'll see them getting development deals to continue doing this if they have real potential).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Heard reports of some sort of storm tomorrow myself?

Ferg was the only one putting in a real kick chase on Sunday. He was very aggressive in that during the second half and I thought it made a bit of a difference. If MOC really does want his players taking on more responsibility on the field then that's something I think he should be rewarded for.

McFadden has been really impressive since he got fit. He's been consistently one of our best backs imo. He puts in more work off the ball than any of our other backs I'd say (apart from D'Arcy when he plays).

McFadden has been really impressive since he got fit. He's been consistently one of our best backs imo. He puts in more work off the ball than any of our other backs I'd say (apart from D'Arcy when he plays).

Yeah, wasn't it Drico that said Fergs was a really influential guy in the squad? That he may not have a vast array of top notch skills he just works his socks off and that effort sets a standard.

Teferi wrote: »
    Heard reports of some sort of storm tomorrow myself?

... Are you talking about this one?

bluestorm_small.jpg

Yeah, wasn't it Drico that said Fergs was a really influential guy in the squad? That he may not have a vast array of top notch skills he just works his socks off and that effort sets a standard.

Against Ulster he hit as many rucks as anyone, and he made a couple of key turnovers in defense. When you couple his breakdown work with his kick chase and his ball carrying he can be massively useful.

Especially because he is useful regardless of whether we're looking to kick the ball a lot (due to his kick chase and his work rate in defense) or whether we're looking to focus on possession (due to how quick and effective he is in support). He's exactly what we want on the right wing at the very highest level.

I'd have to agree really. Reddan had to start and Boss has been decent since the new year. McGrath wasn't as bad as some made out, and if this wasn't a crucial game for us (which it really is) then I'd have selected him. But with Reddan only just back Boss is the right call.

Did I just say that??? :o

1403016396-1367381826-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

S12b wrote: »

Yeah just saw that there. We could have used him in September and October but I wish him all the best. He's been great for us over the years. His 2010-11 season was really excellent I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Cheers Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

15 Hendrik Daniller
    14 Dion Berryman
    13 Mirco Bergamasco
    12 Matteo Pratichetti
    11 Michele Visentin*
    10 Luciano Orquera
    9 Brendon Leonard

8 Samuela Vunisa
    7 Mauro Bergamasco (cap)
    6 Jacopo Sarto
    5 Michele Sutto
    4 Valerio Bernabò
    3 Luciano Leibson
    2 Oliviero Fabiani
    1 Andrea De Marchi

Replacements:

16 Lorenzo Giovanchelli
    17 Laert Naka
    18 Luca Redolfini
    19 Giacomo Bernini
    20 Ruben Riccioli*
    21 Alberto Chillon*
    22 Edoardo Padovani*
    23 David Odiete*

Coach. Victor Jimenez

Not available for selection due to injury: Filippo Cristiano, Tommaso D'Apice*, Filippo Ferrarini*, Gonzalo Garcia, Quintin Geldenhuys, Andrea Lovotti*, Giulio Toniolatti, Andries Van Schalkwyk

* Former member of the Italian Rugby Union U20 academy "Ivan Francescato".

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 118th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Kieran Barry and Stuart Douglas (both IRFU)

TMO: Dermot Moloney (IRFU)

Live tv coverage in Ireland on TG4 and delayed tv coverage on Nuvolari TV in Italy scheduled at 10 pm italian time. Live score text coverage on www.pro12rugby.com

That's a real shame but perhaps not a surprise. Turns 34 in the summer and has an ever-increasing legion of young back-rowers to compete with.

He made a massive contribution to Leinster's success over the last six or seven years, the definition of the "unsung hero" and it was a real shame he never got as much international recognition as he would have liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great servant of Leinster rugby. We'll miss him. I hope he has a long, happy and healthy retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Bit surprised at that, thought he'd stay through the WC at least. Great player and servant

It does mean we will hopefully see a lot more of the next generation of opensides, VdF and Leavy. Will be light on experience though

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Jennings has had a great career with Leinster. About 4-6 years ago I thought he was unlucky not to be more involved with Ireland, especially when any of the first choice back row of the time were missing. But Ireland's loss was emphatically Leinster's gain, as we had a great player and great leader who was fully committed to the team in blue.

Jennings is 33 this season, he would have been 34 next season, so this announcement wasn't inevitable - based on age profile alone another season was on the cards. I wonder what factors came into his mind when making the decision. He has had some injury trouble this season, and perhaps as not been as effective when he has been playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is VDF injured?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I love the way we have to be a bit more cautious now & not have "some bunch of randomers" for the opposing team :P Seems we have all learnt from Dragons, hopefully the players have too!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Goodnight, sweet prince.

• Advertisement

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I love the way we have to be a bit more cautious now & not have "some bunch of randomers" for the opposing team :P Seems we have all learnt from Dragons, hopefully the players have too!

Having predicted difficulties against the Dragons, I'm now predicting a comfortable win against Zebre who are a) pants at the best of times but also b) disrupted by the Six Nations which the Dragons were not.

There are some quality players in there, that is a decent half-back partnership and Vunisa might knock over a few guys, but overall they shouldn't have a prayer against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's a fairly serious backline we are putting out, hopefully T'eo will have found his hands this week, we really need a TBP here, so hopefully we cut loose a little in the second half.

Very nice team. If we don't notch up a TBP, it'll be a disaster. Luke on the wing for Joe to see - well spotted Molloy. Moore starting suprises me a bit, but Healy on the bench pleases me no end. Great to have Reddan back, and no Luke McGrath surprises me a bit. Really hope T'eo goes well, and delighted Kirchner is at 15. Very hopeful of some good entertainment tomorrow night.

Oh, and Nige is the ref! :D

Jennings is a personal favourite of mine and I've always had huge time for him as a player on and off the field. But I'm actually pleased about Jennings retiring.Not that we'll no longer get to see him on the field but because he's leaving at the right time. He has had a wonderful career, captaining his province, going to a RWC and being a real leader in two of the most respected club sides in the northern hemisphere.

So many guys have tried to hang on that year too long where their legacies are tarnished and they're being selected on reputation. They're unable to come close to the performances of previous seasons. Jennings is walking away when he's obviously on the decline but is still capable of turning in good performances at a high level.

His career has been of a consistently high standard, making the most of his abilities and complimenting them with real intelligence and sharpness around the field. He has been a leader from his early days and that became increasingly evident in recent years where, despite not being in the first team, when injured you knew he was going to be a loss to the match day 23.

He came back from rejection and injury repeatedly and the most impressive thing is that he never let his professionalism or efforts drop. A harsh 12 week ban for unseen contact with the eye area. A broken arm in the build up to the RWC. Being dropped from the starting Leinster side ahead of the biggest game of the season in 2005 after being a central player for the season to date. Finally being the undisputed openside for Leinster only to see the immediate emergence of the most dynamic openside Leinster has ever produced. Jennings took it all in his stride and on the chin.

I'm glad that, the season before he retired, he was still able to put in a very strong showing in a showpiece final and bag himself a try. I'm glad he retires with a pocketful of medals and a bagful of memories. But most of all, I'm glad he was ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fitting tribute above. Shane Jennings was more often than not the spark, the drive, the leader that got us through the less glamorous fixtures of the year. We were very lucky to have a man of his calibre play with as much dedication to us for a long as he did. He'll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I was wondering why he has started working on a few podcast etc last few weeks, must be trying to build a bit of a media career......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I was wondering why he has started working on a few podcast etc last few weeks, must be trying to build a bit of a media career......
    He is quite well spoken so wouldn't be surprised if he does well for himself in that sphere.

Sangre wrote: »
    He is quite well spoken so wouldn't be surprised if he does well for himself in that sphere.

It is getting a bit packed at the moment thou, you have

Keith Wood
    Ronan O'Gara
    Shane Horgan
    Paul Wallace
    Reggie Corrigan
    Gerry Thornley

To name a few on rugby Podcasts and TV......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He's kinda like the Andy Murray of Irish sevens.
    Murray would probably win more grand slams but his career has coincided with Federer, Nasal and then Djokovic. Any other stage in the last 20 years he would have had a decent shot at more honours.
    Similarly with Jenno, his career coincided with first Gleeson, then Wallace and finally O'Brien filling the 7 jersey for Ireland. Three outstanding opensides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Trev Hogan and Quinlan too.

Frankie Sheehan I think pops up on The Last Word every now and again.

Paddy Wallace is on Sky and now Against the Head.

Marcus Horan is on TG4 too.

Not all these guys are any good though so if Jennings can add some good insight, which from what I've seen he has the ability to, he could push some of the more established guys out of the way.

Heroditas wrote: »
    He's kinda like the Andy Murray of Irish sevens.
    Murray would probably win more grand slams but his career has coincided with Federer, Nasal and then Djokovic. Any other stage in the last 20 years he would have had a decent shot at more honours.
    Similarly with Jenno, his career coincided with first Gleeson, then Wallace and finally O'Brien filling the 7 jersey for Ireland. Three outstanding opensides.

I remember Jennings coming on at half time in HC Final 2011, he helped massively to swing the match back towards Leinster....well I think so anyway, have also said so...

• Advertisement

It is getting a bit packed at the moment thou, you have

Keith Wood
    Ronan O'Gara
    Shane Horgan
    Paul Wallace
    Reggie Corrigan
    Gerry Thornley

To name a few on rugby Podcasts and TV......

Indeed but I was very impressed with Jennings on OTB the other night. He isn't afraid to call it as it is and is extremely articulate. From the above list, without much experience, I would much rather hear from Jennings than Corrigan or Wallace, neither of whom offer much insight and both are gone from the game for too long without maintaining much involvement to give any inside track regarding the modern game.

Wood is just entertaining and articulate, speaking with passion even if I don't agree with him and Thornley is always going to keep his spot. ROG has been excellent.

There's a lot of other pundits on Irish television/radio that I consider absolute wastes of air time such as Sheahan, Keyes and Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I remember Jennings coming on at half time in HC Final 2011, he helped massively to swing the match back towards Leinster....well I think so anyway, have also said so...

I agree. Switching him for McLaughlin seemed to make a massive difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Jennings was a super player at club level, a huge asset to any side he played in, his ability at the breakdown second to very few. Never got a real shot at international level, but was a bit unfortunate in his competition, we had some world class back rows when he was at his peak.

From a purely Munster selfish pov, I'm not sad to see him go, how many times did we lose to Leinster in recent seasons where Jennings was pretty much the main reason? :P

A class act though.

Good example as was the semi final against Toulouse where he came on and was sensational.

But, to be awkward, the game that underpinned his importance to us at any one specific point was the losing semi final to Toulouse in 2010.

We had absolutely no scrum and were hanging on by our fingernails, scrapping for every inch at the breakdown, tooth and nail. It was 9-9 in the rain after 50 minutes and, while we were fortunate not to be behind, we had already missed a try by a whisker due to a Reddan knock on.

Then, in the 51st minute, Jennings went off injured and the game transformed. Toulouse had the ball on a plate. Our defence was on the back foot and lost shape. They scored two tries in the next 10 minutes and our HEC season was over. Jennings last involvement was winning a massive penalty on our own 22 to bring play into their half.

If he had stayed on, I really think we had a chance to win that game but it wasn't to be.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    From a purely Munster selfish pov, I'm not sad to see him go, how many times did we lose to Leinster in recent seasons where Jennings was pretty much the main reason? :P

Christ, I don't know what it was but he really didn't like you boys. He saved his best and slyest for that fixture for about 5 consecutive years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Paddy Wallace does a fair bit on BBC NI for Ulster matches.

TG4 also have both Jerry Flannery and Jerry Flannery's beautiful hair

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Paddy Wallace does a fair bit on BBC NI for Ulster matches.

TG4 also have both Jerry Flannery and Jerry Flannery's beautiful hair

Ferris too.

Some of these guys are better as punters than others, but it is hard to know with some of them, given how little time they have had.....Paddy Wallace, Ferris for example. But I would say there is a big appetite among fans/viewers/listeners for good insightful comments from ex-players. I have not heard Jennings, but if he is as articulate as people here are suggesting, I would love him to get a chance.....he would have some right insights, but may or may not choose to share the with us!

Speaking of consummate media professionals;
    Des Cahill @sportsdes
    If I had to pick a team to save my life..#ShaneJennings would be in it.
    I reckon even he doesn't realise how highly he is rated by his peers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Wouldn't rate Wallace or Ferris from what I've heard of them.

Ferris before Ulsters opening game of the HEC this season against Leicester actually compared Lewis Stevenson to Brad Thorn.

Shame to see a great like Jennings retiring but the timing is right with Leavy hopefully ready to step up. A bit like Keith Gleeson retiring just as SOB was emerging, hopefully.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement