Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ha, Rolls to get a cap!

Why isn't Ryan starting though? I like Josh but he isn't ready for this sort of game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

McCarthy and Fitzgerald absent, presumably 24/25th men for Sunday.

Great to see Ruddock back.

Is Royce Burke-Flynn contracted?

Not sure. But he should be, just for his name alone - and the fact he's a tighthead with a six pack, which I believe breaks the laws of physics.

Strong enough Ospreys team too. Could be a decent match. 6-2 split on the bench for them, btw.

15 Dan Evans
    14 Tom Grabham
    13 Jonathan Spratt
    12 Josh Matavesi
    11 Hanno Dirksen
    10 Sam Davies
    9 Martin Roberts
    1 Ryan Bevington
    2 Scott Otten
    3 Dmitri Arhip
    4 Tevita Cavubati
    5 Tyler Ardron (Capt)
    6 Joe Bearman
    7 James King
    8 Dan Baker

REPLACEMENTS
    16 Matthew Dwyer
    17 Marc Thomas
    18 Daniel Suter
    19 Rhodri Hughes
    20 Olly Cracknell
    21 Morgan Allen
    22 Tom Habberfield
    23 Richard Fussell

Serious back-row there, even in the absence of Tipuric and Lydiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Any points will be good away to them.
    Always tough in Ospreys any time of the year.

• Advertisement

I think Fitzgerald is going to be on the bench for Ireland this Sunday. There has been just enough released to the media so that it won't be a complete surprised.

LBP is the best we can hope for. I'd be happy with a LBP if we had picked up 4/5 in the Dragons game... Now I don't think we can even do anything with the LBP. We'll literally need to win the rest of our games, and with Scarlets and Ulster awa it's a big ask.

I think Fitzgerald is going to be on the bench for Ireland this Sunday. There has been just enough released to the media so that it won't be a complete surprised.

Like?

I'd be delighted but can't see it happening, unless someone pulls up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Royce Burke-Flynn! Sounds like a character out of a R'OCK book
    Any use?

.ak wrote: »
    LBP is the best we can hope for. I'd be happy with a LBP if we had picked up 4/5 in the Dragons game... Now I don't think we can even do anything with the LBP. We'll literally need to win the rest of our games, and with Scarlets and Ulster awa it's a big ask.

Yeah, I think we have a massive problem in:

4. Tom Denton
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

vs.

4 Tevita Cavubati
    5 Tyler Ardron
    6 Joe Bearman
    7 James King
    8 Dan Baker

We could find ourselves on the back foot a fair bit.

• Advertisement

Any use?

You have no idea...

Anyway yeah, scrummaging is a bit of mystery to me, but anytime I've seen him play for Clontarf or the A's he's a very, very dynamic player. Was a typical TH build a couple of seasons ago but now seems to be 100% beef. The guy is literally a tighthead with abs, it's scary. Great with ball in hand and will look to go through players at any opportunity. Not sure if this sort of level was ever on his agenda but he's been doing pretty well for the A side so why not.

Would probably be the win of the season and would be a huge 8 pointer if we pulled off a historic win there.

Everything would have to click.

Yeah, I think we have a massive problem in:

4. Tom Denton
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

vs.

4 Tevita Cavubati
    5 Tyler Ardron
    6 Joe Bearman
    7 James King
    8 Dan Baker

We could find ourselves on the back foot a fair bit.

Yeah, I'm really surprised we didn't opt to have Ryan starting. I expect VdF is more of a traditional 7 but he is still quite small and Ryan can be quite explosive in terms of clear outs when he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

You have no idea...

Anyway yeah, scrummaging is a bit of mystery to me, but anytime I've seen him play for Clontarf or the A's he's a very, very dynamic player. Was a typical TH build a couple of seasons ago but now seems to be 100% beef. The guy is literally a tighthead with abs, it's scary. Great with ball in hand and will look to go through players at any opportunity. Not sure if this sort of level was ever on his agenda but he's been doing pretty well for the A side so why not.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Any use?

Not bad as depth, he plays AIL and is not contracted with Leinster but comes in when called for Leinster or Leinster A. He could start in prod2 or championship or get a squad place as third or fourth choice in 20 ish teams in the top divisions in the northern hemisphere.

Leinster have him as 5th choice despite not needing to give him a contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Decent enough Leinster team definitely think they can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Doesn't say much for that South African lad ye brought in or Hagan that an AIL player gets picked ahead of them.....

S12b wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for that South African lad ye brought in or Hagan that an AIL player gets picked ahead of them.....

SA Lad was in for 8-10 weeks Left I hear

Hagan Same

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/leinster-sign-jamie-hagan-on-three-month-loan-deal-ahead-of-italy-trip-1.2004348

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hagan is a LH now and the SA guy has gone back to south africa

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any use?

Didn't his parents name all their kids after their cars? His brother's probably called Lada.

• Advertisement

They won't be here in 5 months, Burke Flynn & Dooley might well be needed next season if we're sending 2 front rows to the World Cup and then 6Nations!

That's the 'problem' with developing a squad that can play to that standard.

They have both left Leinster I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ssaye2 wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13287#.VO8KtOE9ycs
    LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Isaac Boss CAPTAIN
    1. Michael Bent
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Tom Denton
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

16. Aaron Dundon
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Royce Burke-Flynn
    19. Ben Marshall
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Darragh Fanning

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 42nd competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Craig Evans, Chris Williams (both WRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)
    TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

3 Michaels players in that 23 (all on bench of course) - unheard of. Pity Marsh isn't also on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

dregin wrote: »
    Didn't his parents name all their kids after their cars? His brother's probably called Lada.

His brother is called Aston. His sister is called Porsche.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Decent enough Leinster team definitely think they can win.

We have not won in the league there since 09

Would love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Brother called Aston and sister called Mercedes afaik

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

TommyOM wrote: »
    His brother is called Aston. His sister is called Porsche.

Ha I love it.

I'm going to name my kids

Curry
    Curry Cheese
    Coleslaw
    Garlic Cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

funtime93 wrote: »
    Brother called Aston and sister called Mercedes afaik

Youngest brother is called Morris minor.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Team doesn't look too bad. We'll need Douglas to put in a good showing. Bench has a lot of new names! I wouldn't be too optimistic of a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leavy injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

#We all dream of a team of Royce Burke Flynns
    #a team of Royce Burke Flynns

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bearman, Baker, and King v Ruddock (just back from injury), Vder Flier (still just a kid), and Conan...Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ha I love it.

I'm going to name my kids

Curry
    Curry Cheese
    Coleslaw
    Garlic Cheese

No doubt as to who the least favourite in the family is.

Coleslaw is gonna have the worst middle child syndrome ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Neil3030 wrote: »

Fantastic name all right.

Still in the halpenny place though compare to the guy who competed for us at the winter olympics - Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley.
    True story. What a name.
    Excuse the OT. But you dont come across great names like that too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Bearman, Baker, and King v Ruddock (just back from injury), Vder Flier (still just a kid), and Conan...Yikes!

Big worry all right. I'm happy with the front row, and we have a great back line, but our back row is thin. And we don't have much fire power on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I'm kind of worried now. Scarlets have been going well at home having drawn 2 but lost none there all season. And we'll be fielding a similar team to this one. Ulster too will be tough given that they seem to be getting over their injury crisis. It's not inconceivable that we could lose another 3, especially given our form on the road. I'd figured on a draw tomorrow, but looking at those squads I'm not so sure any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

On the backrow. Ruddock is one of the best 6s in Ireland, Conan has a huge future ahead of him and was recently being discussed as a bolter for World Cup squad. VdF has done brilliantly in his limited time and looks unphased by the step up.

Sure, they're not proven like our first choice unit, but I am looking forward to seeing what the young guys can do, rather than being worried about what they can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

In terms of talent the young guys don't worry me at all. I'm far more worried about whether they'll be able to match the Ospreys physically. I've no worries about Ruddock beyond him being rusty, the other two are very raw however.

I don't think I'll get to watch the game live as I'll be in Ashbourne which is a real shame. Scheduling this game during a 6 Nationss weekend is utterly stupid and underlines perfectly how this league continues to shoot itself in the foot repeatedly. Of course I'll be recording it and watching it either that night or the next morning depending on the score in Ashbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Is jennings injured or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

No Fitzgerald. Possible he could be the 23rd man for Sunday?

• Advertisement

Yep...

Anyway, questionable naming aside, he's a good player, went to SA to learn some tricks afaik and plays very much in the style of a SA prop - mobile, good hands, likes to hurt people with ball in hand.

One thing I've noticed is with McGrath and now Rolls it's great to see the AIL players being looked at as viable options. The conditioning at that level now adays isn't a million miles away and, to be honest, I would've liked to have seen this happen before signing someone like the SA prop we got on loan a few months ago.

Yep...

Anyway, questionable naming aside, he's a good player, went to SA to learn some tricks afaik and plays very much in the style of a SA prop - mobile, good hands, likes to hurt people with ball in hand.

One thing I've noticed is with McGrath and now Rolls it's great to see the AIL players being looked at as viable options. The conditioning at that level now adays isn't a million miles away and, to be honest, I would've liked to have seen this happen before signing someone like the SA prop we got on loan a few months ago.

That South African prop looked terrible. Say what you will about the ail but the props in it can scrummage. Moore didn't have it all his way when playing for clontarf. It's a great learning place for young props.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Is jennings injured or what?

Picked up a knock to the shoulder last week so I assume he's not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

blackdog1 wrote: »
    That South African prop looked terrible. Say what you will about the ail but the props in it can scrummage. Moore didn't have it all his way when playing for clontarf. It's a great learning place for young props.

Moore played for lansdowne no?

funtime93 wrote: »
    Moore played for lansdowne no?

Of course he did was thinking of Royce Burke...

Sanjuro wrote: »
    No Fitzgerald. Possible he could be the 23rd man for Sunday?

He's been 24th man for both matches so far, reckon he'll be doing that again this weekend. McCarthy probably likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ha, Rolls to get a cap!

Why isn't Ryan starting though? I like Josh but he isn't ready for this sort of game imo.

probably cause he hasn't been training with the squad this week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yep...

Any chance to unleash your man crush :D

Like?

I'd be delighted but can't see it happening, unless someone pulls up.

There was an article where Luke said he felt he was ready for international duty. In that article and specifically another one it said that Joe had asked Matt to give Luke a run on the wing so he could have a look at him there.

Joe was also quoted indirectly as having said to Luke that he thought he was close to ready for a return and sometimes little things like this give hint to a potential outcome.

A few pundits have been throwing his name into the ring also in recent weeks for the inevitable "I told you so" if he is selected.

Just reckon there is enough there that I wouldn't be surprised if he made it into the 23 this week.

Any chance to unleash your man crush :D

Absolutely. #justiceformcgrath

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement