Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would be very doubtful about this happening but Im still gonna dream until its officially shot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I met him last year at an event before the final and he had developed a nice little retirement belly so not sure how true that is. Would love to see him coming back as a coach of some description. There is always a place for him in the RDS anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wouldn't he have got a big tax rebate when he retired? And wouldn't that prevent him coming back?

I don't know how that would work. I presume there's some mechanism for allowing it somehow. Someone get McCreevy in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

No, you can't have tax rules just for your own citizens, he would have been entitled to a pay off. I always thought that was why he retired when he was still in his prime.

i thought he left because of the new ruling with only able to offer 1 year contracts etc. He had a young family about to start school etc and didnt want them to start school and then have to uproot them and move to another country so he went home....

That was the reason I heard anyway

I think he said in interview as well about the 1 year contract thing

I suppose it might be just till after the WC so he could leave the family behind and live the single mans life for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would ye really want him back for the World Cup period? Leinster have plenty talented backs coming out of the A team / academy and they should get opportunities with some of the internationals away. I know Nacewa is a hero and all...

Would ye really want him back for the World Cup period? Leinster have plenty talented backs coming out of the A team / academy and they should get opportunities with some of the internationals away. I know Nacewa is a hero and all...

yes, its ISA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If he comes back I'll buy a season ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It could also mean that Kirchner is leaving as well so they want a bit of experience to guide the younger players while the RWC is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Heroditas wrote: »
    It could also mean that Kirchner is leaving as well so they want a bit of experience to guide the younger players while the RWC is on.

Kirchener could be at the rwc

Darcy wil lbe here during rwc. Probably Mcfadden too.

Experience only likeļy to be needed at 9 and 10 I dont want isa there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's been out of the game two years, this just isn't realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He's been out of the game two years, this just isn't realistic.

You're right. But it's a nice little dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23923
    Oreilly rarely wrong still has to be approved

I genuinely feel like I did the day Netflix announced it was bring back arrested development. Being out of the game two years won't hurt him too much. Players like Juan Smith and Callum Clark have dealt with lay offs in arguably more difficult positions.

The point is he has outstanding class. And as well all know, class is permanent.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I genuinely feel like I did the day Netflix announced it was bring back arrested development. Being out of the game two years won't hurt him too much. Players like Juan Smith and Callum Clark have dealt with lay offs in arguably more difficult positions.

The point is he has outstanding class. And as well all know, class is permanent.

My worry is that moc is thinking of him as a 10. The times article is mentioning him as replacing gopperth, while they may mean in terms of taking his niq spot I worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

salmocab wrote: »
    yes, its ISA

Now I've read the article and seen it's a one year deal, it makes more sense. A 3/4 month contract during RWC would have been a bit silly IMO.

If Nacewa does return there's no need to have Kirchner on the books as well. He's been out of the game for two years though and retired with niggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

errlloyd wrote: »

Except the new Arrested Development wasn't nearly as good as the old ones.

Sometimes great things of the past are better left there.

Except the new Arrested Development wasn't nearly as good as the old ones.

Sometimes great things of the past are better left there.

It was a slow starter but episode 9 was arguably the best episode of arrested development ever made. Apply that metaphor to a rugby season, and we have "peaking in Europe"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On Isa.....

My friend's work colleague happens to be good friends with him. A quick text and e mail to Isa late late night and the story is true. He wants to return as does MOC and the one year contract is on the table. The only fly in the ointment is from the powers that be in the IRFU; other than that it's a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

While there's a large part of me that would love to have Nacewa back, the bloke is going to be 33 and won't have played professional rugby in 2 years. I'd love for the fairytale to come true and for him to be scintillating but I just don't see it happening. Definitely worth bringing him in for the year given his versatility, professionalism and the fact that he would require minimal adjustment to settle but I'll gladly settle for solid performances with no injuries.

It proved successful previously with Holwell but he had played Super Rugby with the Blues the previous year and was still playing NPC with Northland when he returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I feel the same. He could struggle now. Only thing is he's likely only going to be here to fill the gaps.

I'd also love it if he was perhaps being considered for management of sorts?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Didn't he get the tax payoff for retiring? How would unretiring affect that?

awec wrote: »
    Didn't he get the tax payoff for retiring? How would unretiring affect that?

Theoretically he would have to give it back but then when he re-retired he would get a bigger tax payoff.

There may be some accommodation made between himself and Revenue given that he would get it back when he retired again in 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Theoretically he would have to give it back but then when he re-retired he would get a bigger tax payoff.

There may be some accommodation made between himself and Revenue given that he would get it back when he retired again in 12 months.

Yeah, I think his major issue was that he couldn't play outside Ireland again.

Surely something could be worked out to sign Iso Nazewa for a year anyway,

dub_skav wrote: »
    Yeah, I think his major issue was that he couldn't play outside Ireland again.

He could play in Europe but not outside of there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

He could play in Europe but not outside of there

I didn't think that was the case, could be wrong of course.

There was a lot of discussion when Sexton moved to France that he could be giving that up if he never came back, less of an impact due to his relatively small contracts up to that point.
    Also, I thought I remembered Shane Byrne coming back from Saracens (?) for a last gasp season to secure his tax.

dub_skav wrote: »
    I didn't think that was the case, could be wrong of course.

There was a lot of discussion when Sexton moved to France that he could be giving that up if he never came back, less of an impact due to his relatively small contracts up to that point.
    Also, I thought I remembered Shane Byrne coming back from Saracens (?) for a last gasp season to secure his tax.

There was an EU Court judgement that changed it recently enough.

Peter Stringer stands to be a big beneficiary of this change. It came through shortly before he moved to Bath.

ssaye2 wrote: »

I'm loving this! I don't think we could expect too much from him as a player, but a bit of coaching .......hmmm. Very isnpirational guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

I can't post the link as I'm a new user but after the u20s match BOD had a tweet about Ringrose being ready in 18 months or so (hard to tell if he meant for provincial or international rugby but you'd have to assume provincial).

Would love to see him get some gametime with the senior team during the World Cup, although I don't know how realistic a wish that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can't post the link as I'm a new user but after the u20s match BOD had a tweet about Ringrose being ready in 18 months or so (hard to tell if he meant for provincial or international rugby but you'd have to assume provincial).

Would love to see him get some gametime with the senior team during the World Cup, although I don't know how realistic a wish that is.

In 18 months he'll be going into the final year of the Leinster academy which is traditionally when academy players are given a bit of gametime. I'd imagine that's where BOD got the 18 months from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I reckon if Ringrose continues to develop as he is, he'll get gametime a lot sooner. He will already be on a lot of English clubs' radars and Leinster would want to avoid a repeat of the JJ situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Ringrose is the most exciting prospect since Luke Fitzgerald in my opinion. (We wont mention Andrew Conway....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

TommyOM wrote: »
    Ringrose is the most exciting prospect since Luke Fitzgerald in my opinion. (We wont mention Andrew Conway....)

I thought he looked outstanding at the weekend in both attack and defence (final try aside).

Conway is a good cautionary tale though, that final step up to senior level can elude even the best at u20 level...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Conway is not the only one but has been fairly successful compared to others hyped up.

He is only 23, I think, too so is in a good position career wise at the moment.

In 18 months he'll be going into the final year of the Leinster academy which is traditionally when academy players are given a bit of gametime. I'd imagine that's where BOD got the 18 months from.

BOD was responding to a tweet which asked if Ringrose would be the next BOD. He said 18 months. So I think BOD was just guessing that in about a year and a half Ringrose would be above international standard, or whatever it is BOD was.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Conway is not the only one but has been fairly successful compared to others hyped up.

He is only 23, I think, too so is in a good position career wise at the moment.

I think the move to Munster has really helped his career.....more than I would have expected. Damned good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Just got the email about Leinster season tickets renewals, the option to keep your seat closes the 19th of March, seems to get earlier and earlier every year.

Yeah... Isn't that very early?

Same as last for me just pay in installments

• Advertisement

Yeah brilliant option.

A-Train wrote: »
    Just got the email about Leinster season tickets renewals, the option to keep your seat closes the 19th of March, seems to get earlier and earlier every year.

Doesn't affect us slumming it in the North stand.

Will it be possible to buy a terrace ticket for next season if I'm not currently a STH?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Same as last for me just pay in installments

I normally pay it in one go with the cheque option, does it work out much dearer paying that pay, I hate giving ticket master anything extra due to there already rip off service charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Will it be possible to buy a terrace ticket for next season if I'm not currently a STH?

Absolutely, if anything there'll be more availability this year

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There were terrace tickets on public sale last year, and there'll be even more this year. I wouldn't be panicked about renewing at all.

Any coincidence that they want renewals in before the quarter final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

awec wrote: »
    Any coincidence that they want renewals in before the quarter final?

Same every year afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

A-Train wrote: »

Any sweetner on a new coach in it ?

Jennings has just confirmed on ATH that he is available for this weekend.

• Advertisement

He speaks very well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement