Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Have Irish panel members been released to Leinster? Would think Healy, Cronin, Fitzgerald could do with some game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

Latest update...

Not sure if any players have been release back yet, Scarlets have a few coming back to them including Priestland ...

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13329.php#.VPcAcHysX94

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Te'o cited:
    http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/three-players-from-irish-provinces-in-trouble-for-alleged-punches-kicks-and-forearm-strikes/15906

I presume this is the incident that Lacey reviewed with the TMO and took no action? Would be very harsh to decide that was a red card offence.

it would be a fierce indictment of Lacey if this citing is upheld.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    it would be a fierce indictment of Lacey if this citing is upheld.....

It would be a fierce indictment of how out of touch the officials are I'd argue. They're already making bizarre decisions this season but this would be the icing on the cake.

It would be a fierce indictment of how out of touch the officials are I'd argue. They're already making bizarre decisions this season but this would be the icing on the cake.

i completely agree... just making the point that if its upheld.. its a situation where Lacey viewed, countered the TMO, and decided there was nothing in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

i completely agree... just making the point that if its upheld.. its a situation where Lacey viewed, countered the TMO, and decided there was nothing in it.

Yeah that's true, referees are really opening themselves up to criticism when they're doing that based on a view on a big screen (contradicting someone with a bunch of different views). He was right though, so fingers crossed sense prevails on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Te'o cited:
    http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/three-players-from-irish-provinces-in-trouble-for-alleged-punches-kicks-and-forearm-strikes/15906

I presume this is the incident that Lacey reviewed with the TMO and took no action? Would be very harsh to decide that was a red card offence.

What the hell?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Did the TMO not agree that it was OK though?

Absolute worst case scenario, it was a penalty, I can't believe anyone would think it was a red card offence worthy of a citing.

But, IIRC, the Ospreys guy went down like a sack of spuds. In the incident Luke Marshall was cited for, the Scarlets guy also received treatment for a head injury - maybe they're reviewing all head injury incidents as a result of the recent concussion nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats Te'o's bad arm. Davies or whoever it was should be embarrassed. That and making a rubbish approach to tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I've watched it a few times and I genuinely won't be surprised if he gets a suspension for it. I will completely disagree with it but he leads with his forearm and makes contact with Davies' head. The reason he makes contact, however, is that Davies makes a complete balls of the tackle attempt.

Te'o doesn't have his arm high and has his arm in front of him in a fending motion to protect the ball. The below picture shows just how poor Davies was positionally. I would say about about 30-40% of players taking contact brace their arm in front of them as they go into a tackle. If they lead with the elbow or carry it high where it might well do damage, then it's fair enough.

This was poor defending and that's why he got hurt.

Teo_zpspes6nl0m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Absolute worst case scenario, it was a penalty, I can't believe anyone would think it was a red card offence worthy of a citing.

But, IIRC, the Ospreys guy went down like a sack of spuds. In the incident Luke Marshall was cited for, the Scarlets guy also received treatment for a head injury - maybe they're reviewing all head injury incidents as a result of the recent concussion nonsense?

TMO, Derek Bevan, said something along the lines of it being a player dangerously leading with the forearm.

Yup. Derek Bevan, from Swansea, believed it was dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Buer wrote: »
    I've watched it a few times and I genuinely won't be surprised if he gets a suspension for it. I will completely disagree with it but he leads with his forearm and makes contact with Davies' head. The reason he makes contact, however, is that Davies makes a complete balls of the tackle attempt.

Te'o doesn't have his arm high and has his arm in front of him in a fending motion to protect the ball. The below picture shows just how poor Davies was positionally. I would say about about 30-40% of players taking contact brace their arm in front of them as they go into a tackle. If they lead with the elbow or carry it high where it might well do damage, then it's fair enough.

Teo_zpspes6nl0m.jpg

Yup Davies' body position was awful. Teo's arm isn't abnormally positioned.

Reminds of a very simliar tackle by Weir I think against USA. Ultimately the Americans had the try disallowed because of it...Had a look but cant find a link. Both cases seem to provide a defence for bad tackling!

Edit: It was Canada, YouTube Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Teo_zpspes6nl0m.jpg

I get where you're coming from, but it sets a strange precedent. Basically, it would be the same as citing/banning someone who's knee makes contact with someone's head because they go in for a chop tackle. The tackler has to protect their own body also. He got his head on the wrong side and also left it too late to go low. T'eo's arm is not raised.

?

dont think so, derek bevan (tmo) says "its a stiff arm to the head" and then lacey says "im happy that theres nothing in it" or something to that effect then the tmo says ok...

i think the tmo though there was something work taking action over

but red card it most certainly was not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Lets get this straight:

- Can't flail arms wildly, potential risk to other players.
    - Can't keep arms in towards your body, no risk to other players really unless they dive into the your arms.

So... are we meant to be wearing straight jackets?

• Advertisement

We may just have to get rid of arms all together, just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That is a nonsense citing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A lot pundits complaining about T'eo's brace in relation to this incident, somehow missing that he fends with his left arm. To my eyes, the tackler is at fault here, he'd be hard pressed to get into a worse tackling position if he tried.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

a5c18f30c5d50b4e18e4637afc56037e.gif

Terrible position to put yourself in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Looking at that replay, it looks like he was trying to back out of the tackle, but t'eo side stepped to the left in order to avoid the tackle and ran into him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's a ridiculous citing. Players are to be cited now when the tackler puts themselves in a dangerous situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

TMO, Derek Bevan, said something along the lines of it being a player dangerously leading with the forearm.

Yup. Derek Bevan, from Swansea, believed it was dangerous.

Derek Bevan was one of the most ridiculously pedantic refs I've ever seen. Up there with Stuart Dickinson as refs I have no fond memories of. I would be very disappointed if Teo gets banned for that. I reckon it's pretty standard for players to brace themselves for a tackle by holding their forearm in front of their body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I thought fending was supposed to be with an open hand, not the point of your elbow?

It's not the most dangerous thing in the world but if it helps stop this trend of players using their forearms and elbows to strike the defender's head, I wouldn't be that fussed about it

No one has used the point of an elbow here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

It's not even the leading left arm that knocks Davies....its his body and right shoulder which flattened him!! There should be uproar if he's banned.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I thought fending was supposed to be with an open hand, not the point of your elbow?

It's not the most dangerous thing in the world but if it helps stop this trend of players using their forearms and elbows to strike the defender's head, I wouldn't be that fussed about it

You're allowed fend with the forearm, hand or shoulder/upper arm so long as you don't lead or strike towards the head area.

Elbow is a no no, as is pointed fingers. But teo didn't use his elbow.

No news must be good news on T'eo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

.ak wrote: »

Does he have the same guys who deliberated on wilson and Marshall If so goodnight sunshine. Marshall ban is particularly ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

ST Prices emailed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No ban but warned on future use of his forearm in the tackle.

• Advertisement

After a PRO12 hearing today Ben Te'o has been warned as to future use of the forearm in the tackle but is free to play this weekend. #BenTeo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Have the prices of ST's gone up? Could of sworn mine was under €599 last year. Not arsed to look back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Scarlet player was actually injured by the boot of his own player a millisec after Marshall's clipped him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Have the prices of ST's gone up? Could of sworn mine was under €599 last year. Not arsed to look back :P

According to the moaning on FB , they have :p

Any idea when they'll be on public sale? Can current ST holders buy extra seats in the pre-sale? I can't remember...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ssaye2 wrote: »
    After a PRO12 hearing today Ben Te'o has been warned as to future use of the forearm in the tackle but is free to play this weekend. #BenTeo

Thank goodness sense has prevailed. Great we'll have him for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭chancer12

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Conway is not the only one but has been fairly successful compared to others hyped up.

He is only 23, I think, too so is in a good position career wise at the moment.

Conway was also unfortunate with injury which is probably why Ringrose would be better developing at his own level rather than stepping up too quickly

LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Mike McCarthy
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7. Dominic Ryan
    8. Jack Conan

16. Richardt Strauss
    17. Michael Bent
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Josh van der Flier
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Dave Kearney

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 67th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Chris Williams (both WRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Jeff Mark (WRU)
    TMO: Tim Hayes (WRU)

That's a strong, strong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Mike McCarthy
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7. Dominic Ryan
    8. Jack Conan

16. Richardt Strauss
    17. Michael Bent
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Josh van der Flier
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Dave Kearney

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 67th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Chris Williams (both WRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Jeff Mark (WRU)
    TMO: Tim Hayes (WRU)

That's a strong, strong team.

Feck that's some team for a mid Six Nations game, I'm a wee but jealous to tell you the truth...

I'm a little concerned Madigan isn't involved as that may be significant for other reasons.

bilston wrote: »
    Feck that's some team for a mid Six Nations game, I'm a wee but jealous to tell you the truth...

I'm a little concerned Madigan isn't involved as that may be significant for other reasons.

Yeah strange... Perhaps the management don't want to risk him.

• Advertisement

This pleases me, now please play to your potential and hopefully get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

bilston wrote: »

I read yesterday he was kept in Ireland camp because they needed a 10 to run the drills. Sexton is expected to be fine so it will be Sexton and Madigan on bench again. Madigan was basically the only 10 available for the training session so his involvement this weekend had to be sacrificed.

15 Jordan Williams, 14 Harry Robinson, 13 Regan King, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Hadleigh Parkes, 10 Steven Shingler, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 George Earle, 5 Johan Snyman, 6 Lewis Rawlins, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Jacobie Adriaanse, Jack Payne, Rory Pitman, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Adam Warren

Unavailable for selection: Liam Williams, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Rob Evans (international duty), Connor Lloyd (knee), Josh Lewis (shoulder), Richard Kelly (arm), Will Boyde (ankle), Emyr Phillips (shoulder), Rhodri Jones (shoulder), Kirby Myhill (pec), Steff Evans (hamstring), Steff Hughes (knee), Aaron Shingler (shoulder), Michael Tagicakibau (concussion), Phil Day (shoulder), Frazier Climo (leg)

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13337.php#.VPmcB-E9ycs

"It is Healy's first start for Leinster since the opening day trip to Glasgow Warriors in September. "

That's a good scarlets team. Damn. Was hoping Rhys and Scott Williams wouldn't be released. Missing Ball, Lee and Shinglar is big tho.

Garces is the referee for the quarter final

• Advertisement

scott1974 wrote: »
    Garces is the referee for the quarter final

We've had him a lot.

We never seem to get Nigel for the big games anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Very strong team but a decent Scarlets side too. Won't be easy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster by 15+.

awec wrote: »
    Leinster by 15+.

Scarlets undefeated at home this season I think.

I would absolutely take any win the way we have being playing. Healy and Cronin will be a massive addition though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement