Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

One could read that another way though - was Sexton swayed to come back to Leinster with assurances of another move that hasnt been publicly announced yet (with gagging clause until date X included) ?
    Its plausible.

That's not remotely plausible. Not remotely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

It's far more likely that Sexton just wanted to come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

If Isa has any sense - any whatsoever - he should leaving the sinking blues ship and return to leinster. Career suicide at the moment the way the Blues are playing. If you think leinster is bad you ain't seen anything until you've endured a blues performance.

But he's a terrible 10. Not an option for Leinster there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

LostArt wrote: »
    It's far more likely that Sexton just wanted to come home.

Thats plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Swiwi. wrote: »
    If Isa has any sense - any whatsoever - he should leaving the sinking blues ship and return to leinster. Career suicide at the moment the way the Blues are playing. If you think leinster is bad you ain't seen anything until you've endured a blues performance.

First time I saw him playing for Leinster he was at 10, and I thought he should be exported back to NZ a.s.a.p. No, he's never a 10, ane especially after two years on the sidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Swiwi. wrote: »

Woeful. My memory of his early days is that he played there more often than elsewhere, which including 13. Wing or full back yes please, otherwise no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hagz wrote: »
    Can you provide a source for these comments?

It wasn't BOD it was D'Arcy who made them in an interview with the Irish Times AFAIK, it was fairly early in MOC's tenure I think around the AI's in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Have Bath tickets been posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I haven't received mine yet

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Have Bath tickets been posted?
    No sign, but I would be expecting any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does Ross walk back into the team after the Six Nations? It would be mad if Ireland's first choice TH remained 3rd choice Leinster TH for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does Ross walk back into the team after the Six Nations? It would be mad if Ireland's first choice TH remained 3rd choice Leinster TH for the rest of the season.

It's not really that shocking. Both two very different teams with different methods.

.ak wrote: »
    It's not really that shocking. Both two very different teams with different methods.

You can't leave Ross not playing regularly until August! That would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You can't leave Ross not playing regularly until August! That would be a disaster.

We'll do what we want!

We'll do what we want!

#JusticeforRoss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People continually moan and complain about Ross being done and Moore being the better player now. Moore gets selected for Leinster. Ross then gets selected for Ireland. People moan and complain about Ross not being selected for Leinster.

Fickleness, thy name is sports fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    People continually moan and complain about Ross being done and Moore being the better player now. Moore gets selected for Leinster. Ross then gets selected for Ireland. People moan and complain about Ross not being selected for Leinster.

It would be mad though if the first choice player for his country literally couldn't even make the squad for his club. Looking at it now, if Moore is still preferred to start (maybe less likely now than before the 6N but certainly still possible), Furlong adds a lot more impact off the bench than Ross especially in the good form he's in

The real question is why Furlong isn't 1st choice for Ireland.

Ah I don't think Thomond is moaning really.

TBH, I don't think it matters that much to Ireland whether Ross is first choice for Leinster the rest of the season. Either way, he'll get a few matches then still be inactive for two or three months over the summer so any match sharpness will be lost then anyway.

#inmattwetrust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Tox56 wrote: »
    It would be mad though if the first choice player for his country literally couldn't even make the squad for his club. Looking at it now, if Moore is still preferred to start (maybe less likely now than before the 6N but certainly still possible), Furlong adds a lot more impact off the bench than Ross especially in the good form he's in

I think people are reading too much into a very small number of selections for Leinster. We have absolutely no idea what type of niggle Ross has been carrying or what other reasons there may be behind his brief (2 or 3 games?) stint out of the Leinster team.

My guess is that a fully fit Ross will be (and has been) the Leinster number 3. I'd expect that to remain for at least the rest of the season

• Advertisement

Ah I don't think Thomond is moaning really.

TBH, I don't think it matters that much to Ireland whether Ross is first choice for Leinster the rest of the season. Either way, he'll get a few matches then still be inactive for two or three months over the summer so any match sharpness will be lost then anyway.

#inmattwetrust
    Not moaning at all, just an observation.

padser wrote: »
    I think people are reading too much into a very small number of selections for Leinster. We have absolutely no idea what type of niggle Ross has been carrying or what other reasons there may be behind his brief (2 or 3 games?) stint out of the Leinster team.

My guess is that a fully fit Ross will be (and has been) the Leinster number 3. I'd expect that to remain for at least the rest of the season

The coaches stated that Ross was fit when he wasn't selected for the EPC games.

Yeah, he was 100% dropped, nothing to do with fitness.

Not moaning at all, just an observation.

Not having a go specifically at you, thomond, as I know there are far more vociferous posters on the matter, you were just unfortunate enough to post when I was reading :pac:

When the team was announced for the Italian match, you didn't want Ross in the line up. Now a couple of weeks it would be a disaster if Leinster don't select him?

I don't think MOC will make his selections based on the Irish team and I don't think it will hurt Leinster. Ross has been solid but Moore has had some really good spells when he has come on also. Any two of the three of the tightheads being in the Leinster match day squad has merit.

When the team was announced for the Italian match, you didn't want Ross in the line up. Now a couple of weeks it would be a disaster for Ireland/Schmidt if Leinster don't select him?
    fixed

Schmidt has picked Ross imo because if he didn't then Ross was basically done, and we definitely need him for the RWC.

Schmidt has picked Ross imo because if he didn't then Ross was basically done, and we definitely need him for the RWC.

He picked Ross because he thinks Ross is still the best TH available to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think he picked Ross because the set piece holds a more important place in international rugby and although Moore provides more around the park, Ross is still the more reliable scrummager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

There's also the fact that it would be in both Matt and Joe's interest for Moore to get game time, preferably starting, after being out with injury for a good while. Moore needs match practise so starts. Ross on the bench is virtually pointless, so Furlong goes in there. Not a massive deal.

Horses for courses, Ross will get starts for Leinster, he's just not very valuable to have on the bench, so it's start or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

MattD wrote: »
    There's also the fact that it would be in both Matt and Joe's interest for Moore to get game time, preferably starting, after being out with injury for a good while. Moore needs match practise so starts. Ross on the bench is virtually pointless, so Furlong goes in there. Not a massive deal.

Horses for courses, Ross will get starts for Leinster, he's just not very valuable to have on the bench, so it's start or nothing.

Those 2 games Moore started were 2 of the most important of the season, there's no way it was about gametime. I think it was as Hagz said with MOC and Schmidt putting more or less emphasis and importance on work around the field vs scrummaging

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I think he picked Ross because the set piece holds a more important place in international rugby and although Moore provides more around the park, Ross is still the more reliable scrummager.

And Ross doesn't really offer impact off the bench. Nothing more to it than those reasons imo. I don't mind saying I got it wrong, I thought Ross was done, but he has been very solid in the 6N to date, especially v Marler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The coaches stated that Ross was fit when he wasn't selected for the EPC games.
    Yeah, he was 100% dropped, nothing to do with fitness.

I'm aware that that's the story that was put out there. I believe virtually nothing that comes out of the Leinster and Ireland camps regarding fitness or not of players. They go out of their way to be misleading (and with good reason, opposition knowing what's wrong with players has obvious implications).

its naive to think that just because a coach says "I dropped this player" that definitively means that's what happened. Just as it's naive to think that when a coach says "this player has injury x and will be back in 4-6 weeks". Misinformation is constantly put out.

Now, it's possible Matt thinks that Ross is the third best tight head in his squad and Joe disagrees and thinks he is the best. It's also possible that Joe and Matt have exactly the same view on the three tight heads attributes, but have differing needs for their respective teams. Finally, it's possible that some other factor influenced Matts selection during a 2/3 game window recently.

I don't really believe any of us know right now which of those are true, but hopefully we will have a chance to get more info on which is most likely based on upcoming selections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think he picked Ross because the set piece holds a more important place international rugby and although Moore provides more around the park, Ross is still the more reliable scrummager.

I think Leinsters scrum has looked more solid when Moore has been on the field, as has the Irish one IMO, I'd say it's more a case of experience been more important in international rugby. We saw last season how Moore's scrummaging was consistantly excellent for Leinster but didn't have the same impact at test level and struggled badly against France. Right now Ross is still the safer option though probably not the best one, however Moore is more suited to an impact role than Ross and fits in better with our other forward replacements.

I thought Ross was on the wane not that long ago, but to be fair, he has really stepped up and has deserved his place for Ireland. Very impressive against England IMO. We are very lucky to have him and Moore in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

shuffol wrote: »
    I think Leinsters scrum has looked more solid when Moore has been on the field, as has the Irish one IMO, I'd say it's more a case of experience been more important in international rugby. We saw last season how Moore's scrummaging was consistantly excellent for Leinster but didn't have the same impact at test level and struggled badly against France. Right now Ross is still the safer option though probably not the best one, however Moore is more suited to an impact role than Ross and fits in better with our other forward replacements.

But when Moore has come on for Ireland, he's not scrummaging against the first choice in the opposition, so it's not comparing like with like. Not that theres anything wrong with Moores scrummaging either, very little in it but Ross is still better in the tight.

Jayzus. Worcester are a good side but we're going there to win, no doubt.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13360.php#.VQGBLOasVWI

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think they need to be so linked. Game form can be used to show how consistent a player is, or how their performance has developed and improved over time. But it's not the ultimate measure of their skill sets.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the story with Mick McGrath? Has he got a permanent contract now?

Wuster have made sweeping changes to their team too, so looks like they're focussing on the championship:

http://www.warriors.co.uk/rugby/matchcentre/8227.php

Also; they have a guy named 'Tiff Eden' at out half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

stephen_n wrote: »
    But when Moore has come on for Ireland, he's not scrummaging against the first choice in the opposition, so it's not comparing like with like. Not that theres anything wrong with Moores scrummaging either, very little in it but Ross is still better in the tight.

He may be scrummaging against a better scrummager though, even if not first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13359.php#.VQGEqOE9ycs

"Worcester Warriors v LEINSTER 'A', Sixways Stadium, 7.45pm, Friday, 13th March

Leinster 'A' have won their last 11 matches in the British & Irish Cup against English Championship opposition, and are unbeaten in 17 games - a run that stretches back to a 50-15 quarter-final defeat at the hands of Bedford in March 2011. Worcester became the Blues' next victims in the semi-finals that year, in what was their only other previous appearance in the cross-border competition.

Leinster 'A', meanwhile, are just two wins away from landing a hat-trick of titles, having won the 2013 and 2014 editions. When you measure that pedigree against Worcester's club record 23-match winning streak, Friday night's game looks an extremely tough one to call.

..."

The British & Irish Cup final will take place on Friday, 3rd April, kick-off 5.10pm (live on Sky Sports).

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Leinster 'A' have won their last 11 matches in the British & Irish Cup against English Championship opposition, and are unbeaten in 17 games - a run that stretches back to a 50-15 quarter-final defeat at the hands of Bedford in March 2011. Worcester became the Blues' next victims in the semi-finals that year, in what was their only other previous appearance in the cross-border competition.

Leinster 'A', meanwhile, are just two wins away from landing a hat-trick of titles, having won the 2013 and 2014 editions. When you measure that pedigree against Worcester's club record 23-match winning streak, Friday night's game looks an extremely tough one to call.

..."

The British & Irish Cup final will take place on Friday, 3rd April, kick-off 5.10pm (live on Sky Sports).

Girven Dempsey for Leinster coach!

Is the final played - is it a neutral venue? Great that it's on TV.

Jaysus. I thought that'd be the team to start with the exception I thought Crosbie and Collie would start. That midfield though... Pity it's not on TV.

awec wrote: »
    What's the story with Mick McGrath? Has he got a permanent contract now?

Development contract, was given a plus one.

Presumably he'll be getting decent game time around September if either of DK or Ferg travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I expected a stronger team tbh. I thought Conan and VdF would come into the back-row and Darragh Fanning instead of Mick McGrath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

..."

Is this purely a reference to English clubs, because they've lost to Munster A in the following season's Semi Final....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is this purely a reference to English clubs, because they've lost to Munster A in the following season's Semi Final....

Yeah, it's purely a reference to English clubs, though its a slightly clumsily worded sentence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They drew with Leeds in 2013, so they're unbeaten in 17 games against English oppo and have won the last 11 against English oppo.

Figured there'd be a draw in there somewhere alright. Just wasn't sure on what it was for.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement