Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    All I'll say is Toulouse 2006. And Keith Gleeson.

If I understand what you're saying (and I'm pretty sure I do), then we need to locate Keith Gleeson, email him our set play calls, fly him over in the next couple of weeks and start him against Toulon if we win on Saturday.

I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    If I understand what you're saying (and I'm pretty sure I do), then we need to locate Keith Gleeson, email him our set play calls, fly him over in the next couple of weeks and start him against Toulon if we win on Saturday.

I'm sold.

So we're looking at a pack of:

Healy Cronin Ross
    Toner McCarthy
    SOB Heaslip Gleeson

I can't see how anyone could argue with that. Thats Champions Cup winning stuff right there.

So we're looking at a pack of:

Healy Cronin Ross
    Toner McCarthy
    SOB Heaslip Gleeson

I can't see how anyone could argue with that. Thats Champions Cup winning stuff right there.

I would happily bring MOK back in, also.

I'm afraid Brian Blaney, Corrigan, Green, Jowitt and Williams can make other plans for that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No Toner and Cullen, his dark arts are only missed now he's gone. Mal offered different things but Toner has them covered.

I've been to 3 Euro games already this season. Full bag, Win, Loss, Draw.

This weekend to be a.... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I've been to 3 Euro games already this season. Full bag, Win, Loss, Draw.

This weekend to be a.... ?

PENALTY SHOOT OUT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

So by the looks of things Ulster have signed Charles Pitau for after the RWC - what NIQ signings would you like to see Leinster make? I'd like to see a new SH what with Reddan and Boss getting on and Luke being just off that top level as yet. T'eo is still very raw obviously but if he can't fully make the transition I might like to see a new centre too.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So by the looks of things Ulster have signed Charles Pitau for after the RWC - what NIQ signings would you like to see Leinster make? I'd like to see a new SH what with Reddan and Boss getting on and Luke being just off that top level as yet. T'eo is still very raw obviously but if he can't fully make the transition I might like to see a new centre too.

Fancy signing Nick Williams?

Charles Piutau.

:pac:

I'd be very jealous if true and not some sort of April fools joke.

But yeah personally I'd love to see a scrumhalf-cum-outhalf, if one existed. Doesn't even have to be top quality, an ITM quality player would be ideal.

Keep in mind apparently we're replacing Jimmy with Isa though...

Just to highlight, Piutau is not to arrive until 2016 so not making his debut for Ulster for another 18 months, if true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Buer wrote: »
    Just to highlight, Piutau is not to arrive until 2016 so not making his debut for Ulster for another 18 months, if true.

So you're saying we should put in an audacious bid to sign him for the 2015-16 season, flog him like a rented donkey then cast him off to Ulster as the sloppy seconds they deserve?

I like it.

So you're saying we should put in an audacious bid to sign him for the 2015-16 season, flog him like a rented donkey then cast him off to Ulster as the sloppy seconds they deserve?

I agree with your management strategy.

5245309140191923850293445644621067638.jpg

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No Toner and Cullen, his dark arts are only missed now he's gone. Mal offered different things but Toner has them covered.

As good as Toner is, he ain't MOK. He's the best lock we've ever produced. Two Lions tours (one when Ireland were cack) and an exceptionally talented player. Jake White was on the money in 2005 when he said that the only lads who would make the Springbok team were POC, BOD and MOK.

I like it.

God, next season is going to be fantastic. We'll have Mal back, Gleeson back, Piutau playing every game, Sexton will be back, Isa will be back. I can't wait lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

When Julian White tried to deck Big Mal, he just took the punches and kept pushing the maul. It was like White had just tried to punch out the Terminator

When Julian White tried to deck Big Mal, he just took the punches and kept pushing the maul. It was like White had just tried to punch out the Terminator

Didn't you know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

God, next season is going to be fantastic. We'll have Mal back, Gleeson back, Piutau playing every game, Sexton will be back, Isa will be back. I can't wait lads.

Sounds like we're due a round of 'best XV in the professional era' discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Sure we might as well bring Rocky Elsom back as well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I'd nearly take Declan Kidney back at this stage. Ella even.
    Nearly, mind. God these are desperate times. Have we really gone so low?

Seriously though. I would take Met Wulliems.

• Advertisement

Change the record man. Jesus.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Sounds like we're due a round of 'best XV in the professional era' discussion.

Hmmm, yes, that should kill 30 minutes of mind numbing office time. It's a fairly predictable side, I reckon.

Kearney
    Horgan
    BOD
    D'Arcy
    Nacewa
    Sexton
    Reddan
    Heaslip
    SOB
    Elsom
    MOK
    Cullen
    Ross
    Byrne
    Healy

Strauss
    Corrigan
    Wright
    Toner
    Jennings
    Whitaker
    Contepomi
    Fitz

Toner is a better player than Cullen but Cullen brings the less visible attributes of leadership and willing to risk his career as a balaclava model by putting his face where others wouldn't put their studs.

Fitzgerald the hardest to leave out by far but I'm not sure I could leave out any of the starting back three. He'd be there on talent but, due to his injuries mostly, the other two have had a more significant contribution to Leinster over the course of the professional era, I think.

Hard to leave out guys like Dempsey, Gleeson, Hickie, Matt Leek, Costello and Corrigan but there you go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fitzgerald but no Hickie!

I'm outraged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd agree with everything there Buer without going into replacements in much detail, really hard to make a choice between Jennings/Gleeson for example due to Gleeson's disrupted playing career. There could also maybe be a good debate on Boss/Whitaker as well.

I think the one place I'd be confident in disagreeing would be Strauss instead of Byrne. Strauss at his best is a better player than Byrne was, so I'd have him in on that criteria.

This won't be popular but I'd have HVDM ahead of le Roux. He was a massive part of the latter two HEC wins and while le Roux was apparently a big presence in the squad, he didn't really feature that much on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This won't be popular but I'd have HVDM ahead of le Roux. He was a massive part of the latter two HEC wins and while le Roux was apparently a big presence in the squad, he didn't really feature that much on the pitch.

Get out

• Advertisement

To be honest, I considered most of those:

Hickie, VDM and Boss.

Think Byrne was just a safer pair of hands and his darts were so smooth and accurate to MOK that they allowed us launch a hell of a lot of first phase moves from our backs. Strauss definitely better around the field but Byrne was untouched at the line out and was a pretty handy man for a maul too.

I'd be very close to putting Corrigan ahead of Le Roux. VDM was considered but, if I had to go with one, it would have to be Corrigan. He was central to the team for a long time and was a strong captain for us. In fact, I'm going to put him in. Le Roux was excellent but for one season, it really needs to be Elsom levels of impact for me.

Very hard to leave out Hickie but we've such a talented back three division that I couldn't find a home for him. He was our best out and out winger but the others just had more strings to their bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Shane Byrne? Really? I'd have Strauss in the team ahead of him.

Is there anything that can be said for another Stan Wright?

Quint2010 wrote: »

Was just going to say. Think recent years of injury and average form have clouded just how good he can be. On his pomp he's the best hooker in Ireland imo.

Quint2010 wrote: »

Yup. I think people forget how good he was for Leinster and Ireland. He was arguably the best hooker in Europe for a couple of years (probably second to Servat).

I don't think I could say that about Strauss at any point. It's not that I don't think Strauss is excellent, just that Byrne was better again.

• Advertisement

Healy Byrne Ross
    Cullen MOK
    SOB Heaslip Gleeson

Reddan Sexton
    Darce BOD
    Hickie Nacewa Horgan

Strauss, HVDM, Wright, Toner, Elsom, Whitaker, Contepomi, Fitzgerald

In 2010 to 2012 I would defo have stood over Strauss being up there with the top 3 hookers in Europe. His work rate, ground work, carrying, tackling and running game were unreal. His darts were good too.

.ak wrote: »
    In 2010 to 2012 I would defo have stood over Strauss being up there with the top 3 hookers in Europe. His work rate, ground work, carrying, tackling and running game were unreal. His darts were good too.

Can't argue with that reasoning. I think they both suited the teams they played in.

Strauss' work around the field and breakdown efforts were crucial for Leinster during the Schmidt spell. Byrne's work at the set piece and tight tidied up so much ball for his back line that would have limited their effectiveness significantly.

I think the fact that Byrne did it at international level too consistently puts him at a higher level in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

If we lose next weekend do you reckon MOC will have his contract terminated at the end of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

TommyOM wrote: »
    If we lose next weekend do you reckon MOC will have his contract terminated at the end of the season?

No

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can't have a best Leinster team of the pro era with Hickie.

He had it all, pace, creativity, finishing (55 tries in 117 starts), a great boot, was key player in our backline, became an excellent defender, and could do it equally well at International level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement