Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So what happens if Kirchner gets injured? McGrath or Fitz?

Is Fitz a "break glass in case of emergency" sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

awec wrote: »

Harsh nickname for Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

McGrath. He was in the original 23 that was sent in to the EPCR so Fitzy is just there to fool us all, er, I mean make up the numbers. I'd love to see odds on him actually being in the 23 come kick-off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah, they just posted this:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12722.php

This post is above international standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Tonight's Leinster 'A' game v @jerseyrfc has been pushed back and will now kick-off at 8pm. #COTAT

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Bent back at tighthead. Oh dear. I would've started Furlong I think. Kirchner to fullback as well. I'd rather have some inexperience on the wings than Madigan at fullback.

As an aside, surely Brendan Macken won't be at Leinster for too much longer? To be outside the 23 despite all the injuries, and be passed over for the likes of McGrath and LF who is totally lacking match fitness must be pretty galling.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Tonight's Leinster 'A' game v @jerseyrfc has been pushed back and will now kick-off at 8pm. #COTAT

Are you sure? Just because Leinster have said so doesn't make it true. Appaerntly the game against Munster was to kick off at 1:30. It didn't, and I missed the first 30 minutes as a result. :mad:

Also an 8pm kick-off means a 10pm finish. Are they actively trying to turn people off going to these games?

Don't let Luke near any broken glass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Bent back at tighthead. Oh dear. I would've started Furlong I think. Kirchner to fullback as well. I'd rather have some inexperience on the wings than Madigan at fullback.

As an aside, surely Brendan Macken won't be at Leinster for too much longer? To be outside the 23 despite all the injuries, and be passed over for the likes of McGrath and LF who is totally lacking match fitness must be pretty galling.

I dont rate Macken but hasnt he played in pretty much every game this year? He has had enough chances to impress and simply hasn't delivered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I see tickets are still available will this not be a full house? Should be a good little game.

Alot of the games in the RDS don't sell out, or only just sell out. There'll still be tickets for the home Castres game available on the Friday before it kicks off too.

It's a bit of a worry about building a new bigger stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

molloyjh wrote: »
    Are you sure? Just because Leinster have said so doesn't make it true. Appaerntly the game against Munster was to kick off at 1:30. It didn't, and I missed the first 30 minutes as a result. :mad:

Also an 8pm kick-off means a 10pm finish. Are they actively trying to turn people off going to these games?

Leinster Rugby @leinsterrugby · 6m 6 minutes ago PLEASE RT: Tonight's Leinster 'A' game in Donnybrook has been rescheduled and will kick off at 8pm. #COTAT

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I dont rate Macken but hasnt he played in pretty much every game this year? He has had enough chances to impress and simply hasn't delivered.

Yep. That's why it's hard to see him sticking around.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Leinster Rugby @leinsterrugby · 6m 6 minutes ago PLEASE RT: Tonight's Leinster 'A' game in Donnybrook has been rescheduled and will kick off at 8pm. #COTAT

I see your tweet and raise you an email from this day 2 weeks ago: ;)
    Leinster A v Munster A

Season Ticket holders can attend the Leinster A vs Munster A friendly in Donnybrook tomorrow free of charge. Gates open at 12pm and kick off is 1.30pm. Just show your Season Ticket card at the gate for access.

Kind Regards,

Leinster Rugby Ticket Office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bent had better be turning in it on like a mo-fo in training or MOC is gonna get run out of the RDS on Sunday night.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bent had better be turning in it on like a mo-fo in training or MOC is gonna get run out of the RDS on Sunday night.

Who else is there? I'm not 100% convinced Furlong is fit after the last 2 weeks. So having him on the bench probably makes sense from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Flipper22 wrote: »

Madigan and Fitzgerald can cover centre. They need cover for the back 3. Macken is a one position player aside from one appearance at 12 a couple of years back and a start on the wing for the A side. If you drop McGrath for Macken you're essentially having to choose between a bloke returning from surgery who hasn't played in an age and a guy who has never played on the wing.

Regarding Bent, Furlong is coming back from a concussion and an illness. He's possibly not up to starting in terms of fitness.

Definitely an argument for someone else on the wing and ZK at 15 but they're kinda screwed. Not a hope you could put Mick McGrath in to start on the wing facing those Wasps wingers. He'd be roasted alive; I could see Leinster having to haul him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Macken's played on the wing on a couple of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hagz wrote: »

Not very well though.

I only thought the B&I semi last season?

Regardless, it hardly qualifies him to cover the wing in European rugby against two international wingers.

• Advertisement

Yeah he did a few times last season and a few even thought he might be able to make a future of it there. Not sure myself, but like I said I don't think a non-match fit Luke for 15-20 mins is going to be the winning or losing of the game so I'd rather not risk him. It's the whole cost-benefit thing. I'm not sure the potential cost is worth the potential benefit.

Yeah he did a few times last season

Seriously, I'm struggling to remember when he played these games on the wing! I know he played there for the B&I Cup team in the semi final and had been lining out there in training too. I think he came on for the senior team off the bench once there and it was a bit of a disaster.

Are we talking in the AIL?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Pretty sure make was on the wing for the Treviso game last year when Reid scored all those tries.

He has more wing experience than Mcgrath, and is considerably more match ready than Fitz. You'd have to see him moving on next year as he is clearly way way down MOCs pecking order.

Buer wrote: »
    Seriously, I'm struggling to remember when he played these games on the wing! I know he played there for the B&I Cup team in the semi final and had been lining out there in training too. I think he came on for the senior team off the bench once there and it was a bit of a disaster.

Are we talking in the AIL?

Def played there at least twice for the seniors. Although whether he started or came off the bench I'm afraid my memory isn't that good.

He never started on the wing (except for B&I cup rugby). He came off the bench there and he ended up there in a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Came on against either Zebre or Treviso (think Treviso) and was absolutely awful, over ran the ball at least three times in the short time he was on and missed a couple of tackles too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

So is Furlong actually fit?

Just breezing through the thread and seems to be conflicting reports

Guessing Madigan and D'Arcy.

And so it was until injury intervened.

Very weak team really. The injuries are getting too much.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Came on against either Zebre or Treviso (think Treviso) and was absolutely awful, over ran the ball at least three times in the short time he was on and missed a couple of tackles too.

That was the one. He came on for ZK and was very poor. Blew a couple of easy tries out on the far side.

And so it was until injury intervened.

Very weak team really. The injuries are getting too much.

I'd steady on given that, firstly, you're going on an unconfirmed provisional team and, secondly, you said you couldn't see Reid being started at 12 "under any circumstances".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    So is Furlong actually fit?

Just breezing through the thread and seems to be conflicting reports

Nobody really knows. Got injured against Munster (concussion?), missed Zebre but was training during the week. I'd have thought a fit Furlong would be ahead of Bent so maybe he's not 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

You'd have to see him moving on next year as he is clearly way way down MOCs pecking order.

Or wait around and see what happens for one more year - chances are MOC will be moving on anyway, so he might see how he goes with the new guy. Still, old Rock companion starting for Army this weekend, so that has to make him think.

I can't remember but do Leinster have a new Strength & Conditioning coach this year?

Take SOB out of the equation as the injury was last season and is a surgery related issue.

Is the % of our squad injured a little or a lot more than the standard wear and tear throughout a 1/4 of a season?

Furthermore - are a lot of our injuries more severe than the norm?

We really are going into the first round of Europe with a bit of a skeleton crew and even a few of the guys who have made it have question marks over their heads in terms of fitness and recovery.

From experience there is a greater tendency for soft tissue injury when you are over or under cooked. I hope for Leinster / Ireland's sake that something hasn't broken down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Nobody really knows. Got injured against Munster (concussion?), missed Zebre but was training during the week. I'd have thought a fit Furlong would be ahead of Bent so maybe he's not 100%.

He is on the bench though ye?

Though I read something about a back spasm, possibly imagined it as I was speed reading in work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't remember but do Leinster have a new Strength & Conditioning coach this year?

Take SOB out of the equation as the injury was last season and is a surgery related issue.

Is the % of our squad injured a little or a lot more than the standard wear and tear throughout a 1/4 of a season?

Furthermore - are a lot of our injuries more severe than the norm?

We really are going into the first round of Europe with a bit of a skeleton crew and even a few of the guys who have made it have question marks over their heads in terms of fitness and recovery.

From experience there is a greater tendency for soft tissue injury when you are over or under cooked. I hope for Leinster / Ireland's sake that something hasn't broken down here.

McFadden game injury
    Luke Fitz enuf said
    Dave Kearney last season injury
    Rob Kearney he's had back problems before

That's the backs injuries anyway

I'd steady on given that, firstly, you're going on an unconfirmed provisional team and, secondly, you said you couldn't see Reid being started at 12 "under any circumstances".

Well I wasn't really thinking about injuries which was an oversight.

But he wasn't in the original team. Simple as that.

Madigan and Fitzgerald can cover centre. They need cover for the back 3. Macken is a one position player aside from one appearance at 12 a couple of years back and a start on the wing for the A side. If you drop McGrath for Macken you're essentially having to choose between a bloke returning from surgery who hasn't played in an age and a guy who has never played on the wing.

Regarding Bent, Furlong is coming back from a concussion and an illness. He's possibly not up to starting in terms of fitness.

Definitely an argument for someone else on the wing and ZK at 15 but they're kinda screwed. Not a hope you could put Mick McGrath in to start on the wing facing those Wasps wingers. He'd be roasted alive; I could see Leinster having to haul him off.

Oh I agree on Macken, wasn't suggesting he should be in the squad. I'm just wondering at what point does he ask himself if his Leinster career is going anywhere. At this point, I don't see him ever being good enough to be first choice 13, and generally there's no room on the bench for a one position three-quarter.

I see what you mean re the back three, I can't believe the number of injuries we have in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have agreed with Madigan over Reid at 12. Although I suppose IM is first choice goal kicker.

I also will believe Fitz is in the bench when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭knockoutned

I'm not sure if this has been already posted, but for those based in the US, ESPN3.com are streaming all European Cup games.

I can't post the link, but by the look of their schedule, all games are live.

13-3 to Leinster in the B&I cup. Luke McGrath with the try

Must resist urge

• Advertisement

Luke McGrath having a belter. Looks like right decision to play him tonight so...

Luke McGrath having a belter. Looks like right decision to play him tonight so...

Nicely taken second try. Justice...cough...justice....

Ross Byrnes kicking has been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm not sure if this has been already posted, but for those based in the US, ESPN3.com are streaming all European Cup games.

You legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is ESPN3 free to air or do you need a subscription (similar to SkyGo)?

Byrne in the bin for pulling down a maul on the line and Jersey camped on our line looking for the penalty try.

And it's taking an age. We're on 8 mins of added time.

And it's taking an age. We're on 8 mins of added time.

*throws more wood on fire, sips wine*

So....how's the weather?

Nicely taken second try. Justice...cough...justice....

Ross Byrnes kicking has been fantastic.

If he scores a third it has to be said.

I take it you're at the game? Has there been an injury in the pack? I see Nick Timoney and Gavin Thornbury are on the field.

Dooley in the bin now and still no penalty try???? Confused as feck.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ this is still going. Jersey went straight down and he's given a reset. 14th minute of added time. Byrne back in. This is hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement