Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We're six games into O'Connor's second season after a successful first season. Comparing that to the latter days of the Kidney era is a bit much imo.

I think the point is you can say that without the sniping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

So does anyone know what the craic is with the new stadium announcer? Absolutely shocking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

If Kearney is fit for Castres on Sunday who gets dropped??Fanning??Bit harsh on the lad given he scored 2 tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

funtime93 wrote: »
    If Kearney is fit for Castres on Sunday who gets dropped??Fanning??Bit harsh on the lad given he scored 2 tries.

Probably Reid or Madigan tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Presumably Reid would give way for Madigan in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Fanning took his tries well but realistically, if any of Dave Kearney, McFadden or Fitzgerald were available he'd be out on his ear. There's no way we'll play Rob Kearney on the wing though so he's safe for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's safe and he deserves to be. Yes, he was involved in an intercept but his error was minor even if the result was major. People get the timing of a run off by a fraction multiple times in every game. He took his tries well, worked hard and makes yards he has no right to. Even if DK was available next week, I wouldn't start him until he is fully fit. Fanning is doing a more than adequate job.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Presumably Reid would give way for Madigan in the centre

Is there a chance that Reid keeps his place and Madigan drops to the bench, with McGrath dropping out of the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Is there a chance that Reid keeps his place and Madigan drops to the bench, with McGrath dropping out of the squad?

Not out of the question, at all. Madigan is probably the likely starter though. You can't afford to leave a guy on the bench when he has kicked 29/33 kicks this season.

Next week is going to be a forward fight and every point will count so I'd want Madigan on the pitch if it's just for kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

I'd say he'll go with the backline that was announced incorrectly on Friday before the confusion...Gopps at 10 and Madigan at 12...Kearney at FB and Fanning on the wing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Fitz drop out of the squad if Kearney is back next week. I think someone in the match thread ha it right i.e Fitz was only there because the squad is in such dire straits injury wise. A break in case of emergency thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I thought I seen him warming up at one stage on the sideline but never came on

Synode wrote: »
    I thought I seen him warming up at one stage on the sideline but never came on

He's back in contact training so isn't far off hence the warm ups, but he was never going to come unless absolutely necessary.

molloyjh wrote: »
    He's back in contact training so isn't far off hence the warm ups, but he was never going to come unless absolutely necessary.

Somewhat significant (maybe) that it was he who was stripped off and ready to come on rather than McGrath, so maybe he is close enough to being able to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

This may have been asked before, but given our start to the season how likely is it that MOC will want Sexton, Gopperth and Madigan all playing for Leinster next year?

• Advertisement

Somewhat significant (maybe) that it was he who was stripped off and ready to come on rather than McGrath, so maybe he is close enough to being able to come back.

When was this? I think Luke came out after half time without the bib IIRC. We thought he was coming on a few times because of that.
    This may have been asked before, but given our start to the season how likely is it that MOC will want Sexton, Gopperth and Madigan all playing for Leinster next year?

I think that depends on the IRFU. He'll need to get approval to extend Gopperths contract, and will the IRFU approve that when we have Madigan and Marsh there with Sexton to come back after the RWC? And if Marsh can push on a little this season I'd say he'd have a hard time making the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to though.

molloyjh wrote: »
    When was this? I think Luke came out after half time without the bib IIRC. We thought he was coming on a few times because of that.

Oh right, maybe that was it so.

Oh right, maybe that was it so.

MOC was just teasing us. MOC out! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He spent a lot of time by the north stand during the first half warming up, keeping limber with bib and coat off.

He spent a lot of time by the north stand during the first half warming up, keeping limber with bib and coat off.

Kirchner had a good bit of taping on his hamstring - may have had some concerns over fitness and he did have a quieter game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Luke warmed up with the rest of the subs for the first 60 minutes got injured and stopped warming up for the last 20 minutes. At least thats what I've been told.

Are you joking? He got injured while warming up :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yep, he's out for the rest of the season. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Uriel. wrote: »
    Yep, he's out for the rest of the season. ;)

I dont think thats correct.
    He was OK warming up with the bib during the first half, but tried without it during the second half and had to call a halt. So looks like still a couple of weeks away from warming up without the bib is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I dont think thats correct.
    He was OK warming up with the bib during the first half, but tried without it during the second half and had to call a halt. So looks like still a couple of weeks away from warming up without the bib is all.

;)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Kirchner had a good bit of taping on his hamstring - may have had some concerns over fitness and he did have a quieter game.

Yeah I got the impression he wasn't running at full tilt on a couple of occasions.
    What was frustrating was that the Wasps player ran out of gas when he scored that intercept try but Kirchner had already slowed up. I really think that if he had been running at his top speed that he may have caught him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Really can't wait to see Te'o play. Was funny to see him and Boss doing the hongi after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I know its early days but if Te'o gets on well in union what are the chances Samoa will pick him for the World Cup? Surely he'll fancy playing in a WC.

I know its early days but if Te'o gets on well in union what are the chances Samoa will pick him for the World Cup? Surely he'll fancy playing in a WC.

Not sure how much allegiance he'd have to Samoa tbh. He's already eligible for NZ, Australia and England as well so playing for them might limit his future options.

A day on, no 4th try aside, I think Leinster did pretty well yesterday. Even at 12 points down I never thought Leinster were being outplayed, both their tries came from Leinster making a complete mess of things. The pack were comprehensively better than the Wasps pack (and that's missing two world class forwards and the two matchday squad THs), maybe set piece aside (and Cronin's throwing really needs to get sorted). Plenty of guys played fairly well, no real howlers either. The backline still doesn't have a huge amount of threat to it really but thinking forward Te'o can make a difference there, I'm praying Luke Fitz gets fit, and rueing the fact Sexton isn't around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well he didn't warm up with the rest of the bench in the last 20. Maybe he did get injured or maybe its jus a joke someone told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well he didn't warm up with the rest of the bench in the last 20. Maybe he did get injured or maybe its jus a joke someone told me.

I'd say there is a chance that management were gonna put on McGrath before Luke so when there wasn't an early injury by the 60th minute he knew he wasn't playing.

With Luke and injuries, nothing should really suprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

We'll see what spin the squad update puts on Luke.....I really felt we were down to the bones when he was on the bench at the weekend. The guy himself must be shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Seconds before disaster struck . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

LF, MR & RK all returned to full training in prep for this weekend. DK expected next week. Apologies if this was already posted!

Edit- old news was posted yesterday. My bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Does anyone else feel that we'll be a tad vulnerable during the international window? We're down to bare bones as it is and we'll have a good few of our best missing with international duty

• Advertisement

Does anyone else feel that we'll be a tad vulnerable during the international window? We're down to bare bones as it is and we'll have a good few of our best missing with international duty

It depends on whether any of the players get released from Ireland camp. Not sure what the story is with Locky. We could be looking at:

Bent Dundon Furlong
    Denton Douglas
    Locky Conan Jenno

Boss Gopperth
    Reid Te'o
    Fitzy Kirchner Fanning

B Byrne, E Byrne, Dooley, Marshall, VDF, L McGrath, Crosbie/Marsh, M McGrath

Bent will be asked to play full 80s moving to TH. Which makes the McCarthy signing all the more bizarre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not a bad looking backline actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Should have D. Kearney back as well.
    I'd be stunned if McCarthy was kept for all the Autumn games.
    Anyway, as has been pointed out, our backline doesn't look too bad at all!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Not a bad looking backline actually!

It's not at all is it. Boss is a weak link and we've yet to see Te'o, but to have the injury crisis we have plus 13 (?) players with the national squad it's a decent squad all told. If as Heroditas says D Kearney is due back during that time it only makes it better.

The pack too isn't that bad if we get Locky and Jenno back. And if McCarthy is released we're in a pretty good position.

We'll have Edinburgh at home and Treviso away in that period and I'd imagine anyone not used in the Australia game will be released for the Treviso game anyway. We're going to need 2 wins from these as Glasgow are home to Treviso and away to Scarlets, Ospreys are home to Connacht and away to Ulster and Ulster are home to both Dragons and Ospreys. Hopefully Ulster and Connacht can do us favours vs Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not a bad backline on paper but in actuality it's made up of a centre, who hasn't played union in 8 or 9 years, A wing who's been injured since February, who's fitness is at best questionable and a scrumhalf who's so far past his sell by date, his performances are starting to stink the place up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not a bad backline on paper but in actuality it's made up of a centre, who hasn't played union in 8 or 9 years, A wing who's been injured since February, who's fitness is at best questionable and a scrumhalf who's so far past his sell by date, his performances are starting to stink the place up.

Still not a bad backline as compared with other teams during the interrnational window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's still far better than most other teams can put together during the international window. What do you expect from Leinster during that period... international standard players? :pac:

Backline from the Dragons game last year on the 1st of November

15: Zane Kirchner
    14: Darragh Fanning
    13: Luke Fitzgerald
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Lote Tuqiri (Brendan Macken, 71)
    10: Jimmy Gopperth
    9: John Cooney

Backline from the Dragons game last year on the 1st of November

15: Zane Kirchner
    14: Darragh Fanning
    13: Luke Fitzgerald
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Lote Tuqiri (Brendan Macken, 71)
    10: Jimmy Gopperth
    9: John Cooney

Is that any better? I wouldn't have said so.

Is that any better? I wouldn't have said so.

No that's my point, it's similar to last years and I wouldn't have said that was a great backline, would you?

No that's my point, it's similar to last years and I wouldn't have said that was a great backline, would you?

It's decent enough, better than a lot of Pro12 teams could field on their best day.

When you consider that Reddan, Madigan, McFadden, D'Arcy and both Kearneys are missing (in both instances), I think it's very good.

[I'm a lot more optimistic about Te'o than most other people here though.]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement