Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's alot of good reasons why Te'o could do well here compared to others who've moved over from League. He's only coming into his prime for a start, as opposed to a guy on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's decent enough, better than a lot of Pro12 teams could field on their best day.

When you consider that Reddan, Madigan, McFadden, D'Arcy and both Kearneys are missing (in both instances), I think it's very good.

[I'm a lot more optimistic about Te'o than most other people here though.]

I suppose that's the thing, my heart wants him to click straight away and be a revelation but logic dictates it will take time, Luke couldn't have 80 mins in him yet and Boss, well less said... Hope Kirchner is not carrying that leg as we really need him on top of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's decent enough, better than a lot of Pro12 teams could field on their best day.

When you consider that Reddan, Madigan, McFadden, D'Arcy and both Kearneys are missing (in both instances), I think it's very good.

[I'm a lot more optimistic about Te'o than most other people here though.]

We were total and utter muck in the backs in the Dragons game though. Gopperth had a really bad day at the office, Tuquiri was pants and Kirchner was playing his first game for us but actually did pretty well.

Cooney in that game was better than Boss has been lately, but other than that I'd say the one this season is arguably better. Gopperths form is improved, Fanning has come on nicely (that had only been his 3rd cap last year), Reid is better, Te'o is an unknown and with Luke and Kirchner there we have 2 quality players in their favoured positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

An update of sorts, i.e. not much actual new information. Still, "no new injuries" is very welcome.
    There were no new injuries from the game against Wasps and while some players involved sat out the session on Tuesday, all were back training by yesterday.

The injured quartet of Shane Jennings (hamstring), Dan Leavy (knee), Dave Kearney (knee) and Jordi Murphy (shoulder) all took to the pitch as their recovery from their respective injuries stepped up a gear. Indeed Jennings, Leavy and Kearney may even be considered for selection as early as next week if training goes well and there is no adverse reaction.

There was also positive news for Cian Healy and Sean O'Brien as they both started their rehabilitation programmes this week in the gym from hamstring and shoulder operations. Both players are not expected back until the new year but both operations were a success and the injuries are healing well.

Luke Fitzgerald has taken a full part in training this week and is again available for selection this weekend.

Finally, both Mike Ross and Rob Kearney have returned to training this week having had to withdraw from the squad to play Wasps late last week with minor groin and back issues but a final decision on their involvement will not be made until later in the week.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12749.php

If Luke could get even 20 minutes against Castres, it would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

An update of sorts, i.e. not much actual new information. Still, "no new injuries" is very welcome.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12749.php

If Luke could get even 20 minutes against Castres, it would be awesome.

Leavy comes back just as both Murphy and Jennings also come back, shame we couldn't have seen some of him when the others were injured

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I think we can infer from that that Ross and Kearney won't be playing, but that Luke will be available for more than crowd entertainment on the sidelines, he might actually come on for a few min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the Ross and Kearney comments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It would be brilliant to even see a short spell from Luke - sounds hopeful, but I won't believe he is fit to play until I see him run out on to the pitch.

scott1974 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the Ross and Kearney comments...

Particularly the Ross comments from Joe today. It sounds like he's still a doubt for the AIs, nevermind the Castres game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

How long is Jordi due to be out for from now?

• Advertisement

How long is Jordi due to be out for from now?

Initially he was due to be back at Christmas AFAIK. But there seems to be talk of late November now. Not sure where that came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rob is a big loss if he has to sit this one out also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

molloyjh wrote: »
    Initially he was due to be back at Christmas AFAIK. But there seems to be talk of late November now. Not sure where that came from.

Yeah was chatting to him there at work last week or so, he said his rehab was going okay but I didn't want to press him

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not sure what top expect from Castres.

It was 3 all last week at half time when they were away to Quins, 6 all after 50 mins and it wasn't until Care's try after 65 that put some distance between the two teams so it looks like they're interested in Europe.

Their home Top 14 results are:

Castres 51 - 10 Grenoble
    Castres 27 - 18 Oyonnax
    Castres 30 - 6 Bayonne
    Castres 22 - 25 Stade Francais

They've lost every away game though. Next week they're away to Brive who are just below them in the Top 14 so that could be a big game for them as it's tight enough at the bottom of that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »

Recent update said he was back training, so November would definitely seem a more likely target than Christmas.

CatFromHue wrote: »

It was 3 all last week at half time when they were away to Northampton, 6 all after 50 mins and it wasn't until Care's try after 65 that put some distance between the two teams so it looks like they're interested in Europe.

Castres 51 - 10 Grenoble
    Castres 27 - 18 Oyonnax
    Castres 30 - 6 Bayonne

They've lost every away game though. Next week they're away to Brive who are just below them in the Top 14 so that could be a big game for them as it's tight enough at the bottom of that league.

Looking at the team that played Stade and the one that played Quins, it looks like the rested players for the Stade game with Kockott, Diarra, and Tales all playing against Quins.
    I think we'll need Ross for 50-60 mins against them, I'd say they'll target the scrum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

CatFromHue wrote: »

It was 3 all last week at half time when they were away to Northampton, 6 all after 50 mins and it wasn't until Care's try after 65 that put some distance between the two teams so it looks like they're interested in Europe.

Castres 51 - 10 Grenoble
    Castres 27 - 18 Oyonnax
    Castres 30 - 6 Bayonne

Neither Oy or Bayonne are top teams. Grenob did not play a full side against Castres.

Also, fair to say that both Castres and Harlequins were dire for the first hour of last Friday's game. Wasps were a far tougher proposition based on those performances.

I'd agree they are interested in Europe, but a quick start from Leinster could be enough to snuff that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Castres Olympique
    15. Geoffrey Palis; 14. Max Evans, 13. Christopher Tuatara, 12. Romain Cabannes, 11. Remi Grosso; 10. Remi Tales (c), 9. Cedric Garcia; 1. Saimone Taumoepeau, 2. Brice Mach, 3. Ramiro Herrera, 4. Richie Gray, 5. Rodrigo Capo Ortega, 6. Piula Faasalele, 7. Yannick Caballero, 8. Jannie Bornman
    16. Mathieu Bonello, 17. Mihaita Lazar, 18. Yohan Montes, 19. Christophe Samson, 20. Mathieu Babillot, 21. Romain Martial, 22. Julien Dumora, 23. Antoine Dupont

Leinster Rugby
    15. Zane Kirchner; 14. Darragh Fanning, 13. Gordon D'Arcy, 12. Ian Madigan, 11. Luke Fitzgerald; 10. Jimmy Gopperth, 9. Isaac Boss; 1. Jack McGrath, 2. Sean Cronin, 3. Michael Bent, 4. Devin Toner, 5. Kane Douglas, 6. Rhys Ruddock, 7. Dominic Ryan, 8. Jamie Heaslip (c)
    16. Richardt Strauss, 17. Ed Byrne, 18. Tadhg Furlong, 19. Mike McCarthy, 20. Jack Conan, 21. Eoin Reddan, 22. Noel Reid, 23. Mick McGrath

Luke no Kockett

No diarra

• Advertisement

From LR SITE

B0tRYeYIgAArxV_.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I'd agree they are interested in Europe, but a quick start from Leinster could be enough to snuff that out.

Leinster aren't exactly known as quick starters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

seriously? Luke in the staring line up after getting no game time last week? Well that's a recipe for disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Starting Boss...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Leinster aren't exactly known as quick starters!

Any chance of a quick anything ended with Boss being named at 9

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12752.php

Unfortunately the game has come too early for both Mike Ross and Rob Kearney who have not been able to shake off their groin and back injuries suffered late last week,

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12752.php

Unfortunately the game has come too early for both Mike Ross and Rob Kearney who have not been able to shake off their groin and back injuries suffered late last week,

There is actually no Number 11 on that list... maybe that's a sign...

Start for Douglas. Rightfully so, smash some rucks big lad.

This is prime to be a physical game. Reddan to speed things up against weary legs.

Luuuuuke

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Luke is a big risk. No game time at all to an away european game?

Without Diarra and Kockett that is a huge boost.

Any type of win no injuries please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    Luke is a big risk. No game time at all to an away european game?

Little other option though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Any joy I took in seeing Luke named was quickly wiped out when I saw Boss.

Delighted Diarra and Kockott are out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Has Boss really been that bad this year? Not in country so struggling to follow all games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ben Te'o playing for the 'A' side.

15: Billy Dardis
    14: Sam Coghlan-Murray
    13: Ben Te'o
    12: Steve Crosbie CAPTAIN
    11: Cian Kelleher
    10: Cathal Marsh
    9: Nick Mc Carthy

1: Peter Dooley
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Oisín Heffernan
    4: Gavin Thornbury
    5: Ben Marshall
    6: Peadar Timmins
    7: Josh Van Der Flier
    8: Jordan Coghlan

16: James Tracy
    17: Jeremy Loughman
    18: Ross Molony
    19: Daniel Leavy
    20: Adam Griggs
    21: Ross Byrne
    22: Adam Byrne

Sangre wrote: »
    Has Boss really been that bad this year? Not in country so struggling to follow all games.

Hasn't been great, no major clangers but service is pretty ponderous at times.

If ever there was a game to play him, this is it, but I would still have gone with Reddan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Boss and Gopperth halfback pairing.

Jesus Christ.

I can't really think of any decent reason why Boss isn't the right call for this game. However our 9s are definitely the weakest link in the team and we need an upgrade in that position in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Reddan carrying an injury maybe, no Mcgrath for the A's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Strong Castres selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

I can't really think of any decent reason why Boss isn't the right call for this game. However our 9s are definitely the weakest link in the team and we need an upgrade in that position in the near future.
    We have an upgrade already IMO but he's third choice at the moment for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Happy to see Zane at 15 and Madigan in at 12...

Strange Luke has no time playing at all and is put in at 11, hope he is fit but doubt it.....

Hagz wrote: »
    Ben Te'o playing for the 'A' side.

15: Billy Dardis
    14: Sam Coghlan-Murray
    13: Ben Te'o
    12: Steve Crosbie CAPTAIN
    11: Cian Kelleher
    10: Cathal Marsh
    9: Nick Mc Carthy

1: Peter Dooley
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Oisín Heffernan
    4: Gavin Thornbury
    5: Ben Marshall
    6: Peadar Timmins
    7: Josh Van Der Flier
    8: Jordan Coghlan

16: James Tracy
    17: Jeremy Loughman
    18: Ross Molony
    19: Daniel Leavy
    20: Adam Griggs
    21: Ross Byrne
    22: Adam Byrne

Rubbish 'A' team, not a single Lions midweek captain in the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I really hope that Luke has a fantastic game but throwing him into starting a European game after a tricky injury without any game time just seems like a recipe for disaster. I hope he makes it out of the game injury free.

funtime93 wrote: »
    We have an upgrade already IMO but he's third choice at the moment for some reason

Whether or not he's an upgrade over the 2 starters will be irrelevant until the coaching staff trust him enough to give him a chance. And it's not like MOC hasn't had a history of working with a lot of young developing half backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Teferi wrote: »
    I really hope that Luke has a fantastic game but throwing him into starting a European game after a tricky injury without any game time just seems like a recipe for disaster. I hope he makes it out of the game injury free.

Too many jinxes to count. :(

funtime93 wrote: »

The reason is possibly because he's been pretty poor any time he's come on.

Now, Boss isn't playing great either but he has a hell of a lot more experience of a game like this.

On a related note, I see Heineken Cup winner John Cooney now looks to be fourth choice at Connacht. Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

The reason is possibly because he's been pretty poor any time he's come on.

Now, Boss isn't playing great either but he has a hell of a lot more experience of a game like this.

On a related note, I see Heineken Cup winner John Cooney now looks to be fourth choice at Connacht. Oh dear.
    He's only just back from injury no??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If Luke McGrath is travelling as cover, it suggests that someone is carrying a knock. I hope that's the case because there's no logical reason for Boss to start unless Reddan's participation is in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭chancer12

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Happy to see Zane at 15 and Madigan in at 12...

Strange Luke has no time playing at all and is put in at 11, hope he is fit but doubt it.....

Yes, hope they have the sense to take him off if he's under pressure. Would love to see him back and well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭chancer12

Clegg wrote: »
    Boss and Gopperth halfback pairing.

Jesus Christ.

There was an improvement in Gopperth's game last week so he probably has the jersey now for the season.

See in the paper that he's not worried by Jonny's return. Given MOC's pref for him, we'll probably see Sexto on the bench next year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement