Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't understand the question. He played 80 minutes on Friday.

I didn't realise he had played the A game on Friday.

I thought he was still absent due to illness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Teo with some big hits in the opening exchanges apparently.

Few lads got vanged.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Teo with some big hits in the opening exchanges apparently.

Few lads got vanged.

Are we REALLY doing that? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Are we REALLY doing that? ?

Yup. All the cool kids got a memo about it.

Awkward.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yup. All the cool kids got a memo about it.

Awkward.

Always was more of a parka and under cut kid myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Always was more of a parka and under cut kid myself ;)

That's what all the hipsters are wearing now though...

.ak wrote: »
    That's what all the hipsters are wearing now though...

Pastiche ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So we've to scrape up a team for Friday......five day turnaround.....Ireland camp.....this could be a big chance for some young lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd expect:

01. E Byrne
    02. B Byrne
    03. Bent
    04. Denton
    05. Douglas
    06. Leavy
    07. VDF
    08. Conan

09. Boss
    10. Gopperth
    11. Fitz
    12. Reid
    13. Te'o
    14. Fanning
    15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
    17. Dooley
    18. Furlong
    19. Marshall
    20. Coughlan
    21. L McGrath
    22. Crosbie/Marsh
    23. M McGrath

A lot of guys in there with very few to no caps in the senior set-up this season, especially in the pack. But the back line is pretty goos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

vienne86 wrote: »
    So we've to scrape up a team for Friday......five day turnaround.....Ireland camp.....this could be a big chance for some young lads.

If no-one gets released from Ireland camp, we could be looking at:

Kirchner
    Fanning
    Te'o
    Reid
    Luke
    Gopperth
    Boss
    Bent
    Byrne
    Furlong
    Douglas
    Denton
    McLaughlin (is he fit? Marshall if not)
    van der Flier
    Conan

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd expect:

01. E Byrne
    02. B Byrne
    03. Bent
    04. Denton
    05. Douglas
    06. Leavy
    07. VDF
    08. Conan

09. Boss
    10. Gopperth
    11. Fitz
    12. Reid
    13. Te'o
    14. Fanning
    15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
    17. Dooley
    18. Heffernan
    19. Marshall
    20. Coughlan
    21. L McGrath
    22. Crosbie/Marsh
    23. M McGrath

A lot of guys in there with very few to no caps in the senior set-up this season, especially in the pack. But the back line is pretty goos.
    Actually yes, that back line is quite impressive. Very hard to know how that pack would go.....it'll be interesting!

Just realised I left Furlong out. Corrected.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Actually yes, that back line is quite impressive. Very hard to know how that pack would go.....it'll be interesting!

I've been hugely impressed with the Byrne brothers this season. They've looked good in the chances they've gotten. Denton has improved and we should be ok with himself and Douglas (although I haven't been as impressed with Douglas as some personally). The back row is full of potential, but is fairly green. We might struggle at line-out time but we should be ok in the scrum.

The bench is a little bit of a worry though. Its very callow.

We're apparently on the look-out for prop cover too (http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-in-brief-leinster-on-the-lookout-for-prop-30697640.html). Trevor Nyakane is ambipropsterous apparently, but is mainly a LH. Caylib Oosthuizen is a LH.

So after buying McCarthy who hasn't worked out we're back on the market for another LH. Bent is primarily a LH and between him and Byrne I'd have thought we were well enough covered there. At TH we're currently starting a LH with a very young and inexperienced TH on the bench. Surely TH is where the need really is?

Actually, we might well see Leavy involved. I thought it was odd that he was specifically named in a squad update last week when the academy guys normally don't feature in them.

Assuming Fanning plays this Friday, it will be his 11th start in 11 weeks (including the pre-season friendly matches), and he has played every minute of the eight matches so far in the competitive campaign. Some achievement.

• Advertisement

Actually, we might well see Leavy involved. I thought it was odd that he was specifically named in a squad update last week when the academy guys normally don't feature in them.

Assuming Fanning plays this Friday, it will be his 11th start in 11 weeks (including the pre-season friendly matches), and he has played every minute of the eight matches so far in the competitive campaign. Some achievement.

He's been getting better and better too. I thought he was pretty good on Sunday. Cleaned up a lot of messy ball, carried fairly well and as usual had a huge work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So after buying McCarthy who hasn't worked out we're back on the market for another LH. Bent is primarily a LH and between him and Byrne I'd have thought we were well enough covered there. At TH we're currently starting a LH with a very young and inexperienced TH on the bench. Surely TH is where the need really is?

McCarthy hasn't worked out?

Sean McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sean.

Sean McCarthy, not Mike. The prop we picked up from Jersey who played LH and hooker against Munster A. He's not even playing B&I and from what I've heard he's not working out at AIL level either.

• Advertisement

Sean McCarthy

I know but is it fair to say already that he's been a dud signing?

He'd need a massive turnaround from where he is now. He is only 23 so it's possible, but if he's going as badly at AIL level as I'm hearing then I wouldn't hold out hope.

I'm going to say, "yes".

We've had a front row crisis and he is nowhere to be seen. I don't think he's injured but can't even make the A team, in fact I think his last game for them was at hooker rather than prop.

Maybe he was signed so D'Arcy could have someone to discuss beards with, but now that D'Arcy has shaved, McCarthy has been cut loose.

He has been poor to the extent that they're trying to turn him into a hooker now. He wouldn't get a start for the A team if we had near a fit squad.

Buer wrote: »
    He has been poor to the extent that they're trying to turn him into a hooker now. He wouldn't get a start for the A team if we had near a fit squad.

We don't have a near fit squad and he's still not even benching for the As. He started at hooker against Plymouth, but hasn't been involved at all in the 2 since.

Stuttering.

Thats how I'd describe us so far. Struggling to get the engine running properly. Not sure what's off really, but we're just not dominating where we want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

From everything we have seen, as a loosehead he is currently behind Healy, McGrath, Bent, Byrne and Dooley, and all of those except maybe Bent are only going to get better. It was a really strange signing, we are overrun with talented young looseheads at the moment

Stuttering.

Thats how I'd describe us so far. Struggling to get the engine running properly. Not sure what's off really, but we're just not dominating where we want to be.

I'm not too concerned as of yet. I'm delighted we managed to get two wins. If someone showed me our injury list for the opening two HEC games back in August and asked me how we'd do, I would have said we'd be going well to get 4 points from the two games.

7 first 23 players absent and we're still grinding out the wins with a couple of guys showing massive leadership. I'll take it. We need Ross, Kearney, McFadden and Jennings back in a hurry though with Te'o hopefully settling in rapidly. That should transform the team.

The Quins double header will be crucial. Their win puts a lot of pressure on us now. I suppose them having an away game 40 minutes from home did help them but we need to take something from The Stoop now.

The Quins double header will be crucial. Their win puts a lot of pressure on us now. I suppose them having an away game 40 minutes from home did help them but we need to take something from The Stoop now.

I don't think you do, three more wins puts Leinster on 20 points and that should be enough to qualify.

I don't think you do, three more wins puts Leinster on 20 points and that should be enough to qualify.

I really don't want to be in the mix for a runner up spot. If we go away in the QF, we lose.

I think we need to hit 22 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'd expect:

01. E Byrne
    02. B Byrne
    03. Bent
    04. Denton
    05. Douglas
    06. Leavy
    07. VDF
    08. Conan

09. L McGrath
    10. Gopperth
    11. Fitz
    12. Reid
    13. Te'o
    14. Fanning
    15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
    17. Dooley
    18. Furlong
    19. Marshall
    20. Coughlan
    21. Boss
    22. Crosbie/Marsh
    23. M McGrath

That's actually a pretty good looking backline considering all the injuries and international involvement, no way would I have Boss starting at this stage, he has literally dropped off a cliff in terms of form and seems to be still falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I'm not too concerned as of yet. I'm delighted we managed to get two wins. If someone showed me our injury list for the opening two HEC games back in August and asked me how we'd do, I would have said we'd be going well to get 4 points from the two games.

7 first 23 players absent and we're still grinding out the wins with a couple of guys showing massive leadership. I'll take it. We need Ross, Kearney, McFadden and Jennings back in a hurry though with Te'o hopefully settling in rapidly. That should transform the team.

If anything, I'd consider a lack of leadership to be one of the biggest problem in the Leinster side at present. Heaslip has stepped up with captain's performances over the last two weeks, but there isn't anyone else standing out in the leadership stakes alongside him imo.

stephen_n wrote: »
    That's actually a pretty good looking backline considering all the injuries and international involvement, no way would I have Boss starting at this stage, he has literally dropped off a cliff in terms of form and seems to be still falling.

Agreed, but we both know Boss will start.

McGrath and Heaslip, the future captain and the current captain, have both stepped up hugely and taken on a lot of responsibility in the last few weeks. Toner has done a really good job, emerging as a senior player and picking up MOTM at the weekend.

You don't turn around the scoreline last week and win away in France without leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Great to have two wins, but we are so inconsistent. Game to game we are inconsistent, and even within games we are inconsistent. Good for 15 minutes, then awful, then good, then awful etc etc.

It just conveys to me a team lacking in direction and confidence.

Gopperth may be low on confidence, but we haven't got the time to be giving him to regain it in Europe.

1. Give Madigan the 10 jersey and a chance. Gopperth can get his chance again off the bench in the big games
    2. Reddan at 9, with McGrath on the bench (or starting when necessary). Boss isn't anywhere near where he needs to be
    3. Furlong needs to move above Bent in the pecking order
    4. Big focus on rucks. They have been our single biggest failing so far this season. Sometimes we look ok (see inconsistency issue), but mostly we are slow to protect our own ball, and poor contesting opposition ball. Leinster have always done well off quick ball, it is a no brainer that it should be an area of massive focus for this team

I know it is very easy for me to say all this, but especially on point 1 - I don't get why MOC is sticking with Gopperth right now. The form players should be playing, and right now Gopperth just isn't at the level he needs to be at for Europe.

MOC needs to start taking more (reasonable) risks, but he is obviously not a risk taker as can be seen in some selection decisions and the general way the team is currently playing. If he keeps winning, then I suppose we can't say much, but we are barely scraping by these days and we will be caught out badly soon I feel. Quinns at the Aviva needs to be the game we show consistent performance, maintaining a high level throughout the 80 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've been championing Gops since the start of the season but I agree that it's time to give Mads his chance starting at 10. That might be hard heading into November and maybe in that time Gopperth will turn it around again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Indo have it that Leinster are looking for another prop
    The Irish Independent understands they have made contact with a South African prop and hope to finalise a deal in the coming week.

and that Jack McGrath is playing with a bit of an arm injury at the moment too as is Furlong too

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-in-brief-leinster-on-the-lookout-for-prop-30697640.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »

and that Jack McGrath is playing with a bit of an arm injury at the moment too as is Furlong too

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-in-brief-leinster-on-the-lookout-for-prop-30697640.html

Another prop?! We're down Moore and Ross on the tighthead side and we're surviving with Bent and it won't be long before furlong really comes through, and we're overflowing with looseheads

Noopti wrote: »
    ---
    3. Furlong needs to move above Bent in the pecking order
    --

He'll need to get better at rugby in order to do this. Contrast the scrum performance with Bent & Cronin vs Furlong & Strauss vs Wasps.

I was surprised and disappointed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Are we surviving with Bent? He was getting absolutely mullered on the weekend despite a decent showing the week before. That points to inconsistency to me which is why there might be a bit of a panic purchase.

He'll need to get better at rugby in order to do this. Contrast the scrum performance with Bent & Cronin vs Furlong & Strauss vs Wasps.

Bent has been OK at TH, but our scrum has been generally weak without Moore and Ross. MOC needs to take more reasonable risks, and give players like Furlong a proper chance. You mention the game against Wasps, but against Castres our scrum improved noticeably when he was on (and Strauss). Obviously there are a load more factors than just the front row (stage of the game, second row subs etc) - but if you cite the wasps game then you should also cite the Castres game.

Our team is always going to weakened when you lose 1st and 2nd string players though!

Imagine Cathal Marsh or Noel Reid starting at 10 vs Wasps last week. That's the equivalent to what's going on at TH.

Bent's done fine, I'd be happy for Furlong to push ahead of him though. Absolutely. I think Bent is a good LH and an acceptable TH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For a third choice prop he did well enough.

McGrath was at fault for one scrum and on another we minced them so it's not all bad news Bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Contrast who was behind them as well. For all Douglas is doing around the pitch I think McCarthy has shown himself to be more effective in the scrum. Bent's style at tighthead is also something which seems to work better with a strong scrummaging lock.

Agree with all the above. I think Bent is doing OK at TH, and good to have him to fill that gap. He has also done well for us at LH when needed. I am definitely not a Bent basher, that's for sure. Just want to see Furlong get his chance, as he is a very promising TH and he needs some game time.

• Advertisement

For a third choice prop he did well enough.

McGrath was at fault for one scrum and on another we minced them so it's not all bad news Bent.

Exactly this. He's well down the pecking order on both sides but he's doing OK all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Have to say I've been impressed with Bent over the last couple of games. Stepped up and gave a solid enough performance considering he is 3rd choice for the other side of the scrum. I was expecting him to be the weak link by a good bit in the scrum, were McGrath and Douglas seemed to have more problems.

Yeah, but apparently the 2 mentioned will be touring with the Boks so not sure what the story is there....
    We're apparently on the look-out for prop cover too (http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-in-brief-leinster-on-the-lookout-for-prop-30697640.html). Trevor Nyakane is ambipropsterous apparently, but is mainly a LH. Caylib Oosthuizen is a LH.

Teferi wrote: »
    Are we surviving with Bent? He was getting absolutely mullered on the weekend despite a decent showing the week before. That points to inconsistency to me which is why there might be a bit of a panic purchase.

For 3rd choice LH playing at TH I think he's doing pretty good. But the talk of us looking for another LH (after already bringing in McCarthy from Jersey) is worrying. Our problems are at TH not LH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Our problems are at TH not LH.

Unless they know something we don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As with last season, it hasnt been pretty, but I think we've done fairly well to get through a tough period shorn of so many front liners. We have a bit of a lull ahead, and hopefully Ospreys will be similarly under strength when we meet them at the end of November. The next while is hopefully about getting some guys back and clawing back a few places in the league. If we trade wins with Quins and hopefully shade them on points difference we'll be in decent shape.

The style of play is lowest common denominator stuff though, some guys just not being exploited for what they can do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement