Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yes lack of opportunity with the senior squad ( wich MOC coaches) not the A team , which part of that are you struggling with exactly

Please be more civil in your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yes a shot ahead of him playing centre , crosbie has all the ability in the world but maybe isn't their physically yet , Farrell deserves a shot

But Crosbie isn't getting a shot ahead of him at centre. Crosbie has been getting a shot ahead of him in the 22 slot. There's a difference. The 22 slot is generally reserved for the replacement out-half, but given that Madigan and Gopperth have been starting simultaneously there's been more scope to put someone there who isn't an out-half. So why Crosbie over Farrell? Same reason as to why it's been Crosbie over Marsh. Cathal Marsh is strictly a 10. Tom Farrell is strictly a 13. Crosbie has displayed an ability to play 10,12 and 15. He is thus a more valuable bench option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Hagz wrote: »
    But Crosbie isn't getting a shot ahead of him at centre. Crosbie has been getting a shot ahead of him in the 22 slot. There's a difference. The 22 slot is generally reserved for the replacement out-half, but given that Madigan and Gopperth have been starting simultaneously there's been more scope to put someone there who isn't an out-half. So why Crosbie over Farrell? Same reason as to why it's been Crosbie over Marsh. Cathal Marsh is strictly a 10. Tom Farrell is strictly a 13. Crosbie has displayed an ability to play 10,12 and 15. He is thus a more valuable bench option.
    Very good point I agree , most centres these days need to be able to play more then one position it seems to get game time (henshaw,Payne,olding etc) , still think theirs room to give Farrell a try regardless , especially considering Teo is now injured aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Yes a shot ahead of him playing centre , crosbie has all the ability in the world but maybe isn't their physically yet , Farrell deserves a shot

Fair enough, I'm not sure exactly what you mean though, so
    1) A shot for the A team or for the Seniors?
    2) What is the basis for deserving a shot? AIL?

The other 3 provinces (specifically Munster) would be smart to monitor the 3 outside centres in Leinster's academy. They are all good prospects with the ability to be successful at senior level. But with them being a year apart in age with Farrell the oldest and Ringrose the youngest, naturally one and possibly even two will lose out.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    The other 3 provinces (specifically Munster) would be smart to monitor the 3 outside centres in Leinster's academy. They are all good prospects with the ability to be successful at senior level. But with them being a year apart in age with Farrell the oldest and Ringrose the youngest, naturally one and possibly even two will lose out.
    Was fairly disappointed to see the South African guy being flown in to fill the hole , think theirs plenty of good centres in the country that could have done a job their , especially considering the guy is only 22 himself

Was fairly disappointed to see the South African guy being flown in to fill the hole , think theirs plenty of good centres in the country that could have done a job their , especially considering the guy is only 22 himself

With munster that is..

Fair enough, I'm not sure exactly what you mean though, so
    1) A shot for the A team or for the Seniors?
    2) What is the basis for deserving a shot? AIL?
    Yes both ail and A's , I'm struggling to find highlights of games on YouTube to back up my point, here's one of him getting 2 tries against Mary's (opposition standard considered) , first one at 1.58 the second at the end , I'm not allowed to post the link but its on irish rugbys YouTube account st.marys vs landsdowne

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Maybe, but they probably can't change club/province if they have already been registered/played in the PRO12/H Cup for another team in the same season & league.

jm08 wrote: »
    Maybe, but they probably can't change club/province if they have already been registered/played in the PRO12/H Cup for another team in the same season & league.

Most of the academy guys I'm talking about wont be registered to their provinces pro12 teams which is kind of my point, with the lack of opportunity for these guys

• Advertisement

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12860.php
    Dave Kearney, Jordi Murphy, Fergus McFadden and Shane Jennings have all trained well this week and are available for selection

Sweet.

Moore is back in light training, Ed Byrne confirmed out for the rest of the season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sweet.

Moore is back in light training, Ed Byrne confirmed out for the rest of the season though.

I'd heard about Byrne being injured. Didn't realise it was that serious. Really feel for the guy as he was looking good for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sweet.

It's a shame about Ed Byrne - another prop bites the dust. Good news about Moore recovering, and the others who are now available....should have a nice team for this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jm08 wrote: »

They can play for 2 clubs in the one season, provided the move happens before the 20th of March. Geoff Cross moved from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a short-term deal last season. Quinn Roux is on a loan deal with Connacht til January, after which he may return to Leinster.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/03/rabodirect-pro12-geoff-cross-joins-glasgow-from-edinburgh/

vienne86 wrote: »
    It's a shame about Ed Byrne - another prop bites the dust. Good news about Moore recovering, and the others who are now available....should have a nice team for this weekend.

Yeah we have a good pool to draw from. Moore being almost back is important as he will need a good few matches to get some conditioning on board before the six nations. I could see him playing a greater part in this years six nations than last years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't think they can play for two teams in Europe though can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I can get 3G and 4G on my phone if that is any help to anyone

clearly not with Vodafone then

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I've just been informed by a very reliable source that there are doubts whether Sean O'Brien will ever return to play. Very bad news if correct.

Putinovsky wrote: »
    I've just been informed by a very reliable source that there are doubts whether Sean O'Brien will ever return to play. Very bad news if correct.

My worst fears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

There have been whisperings of this in the last few weeks or so, it's awful awful news if so. To lose both him and Ferris within a year would be nothing short of tragic for the game of rugby imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Of course there are doubts. If you get your tonsils removed their are doubts you will survive the operation. Your doctor, the ultimate reliable source, will warn you of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

errlloyd wrote: »
    Of course there are doubts. If you get your tonsils removed their are doubts you will survive the operation. Your doctor, the ultimate reliable source, will warn you of this.

As in it's more likely that he won't play again rather than will.

It would be awful for us, but for Sean himself, it would be devastating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

First Wally*, then Ferris and now possibly SOB?

*albeit he was near retirement anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

First Wally*, then Ferris and now possibly SOB?

*albeit he was near retirement anyway

Leamy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah the rumours have been going around. The same rumours went around about D'Arcy, POC and Kearney. Players have overcome those rumours before, I really hope the same will happen this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Now this is versatile, plays tighthead and fullback!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2n__lsbCs0&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

S12b wrote: »
    Now this is versatile, plays tighthead and fullback!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2n__lsbCs0&feature=youtu.be

Like's playing with 3 on his back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

hopefully just rumours - there were similar rumours about POC and he is back to his best .

I never thought I'd see Strauss play again, never mind play for Ireland , as for playing well.

Wish sean all the best , and hope he can return to the game , it will be very sad if he has to retire so young.

thebaz wrote: »
    hopefully just rumours - there were similar rumours about POC and he is back to his best .

I never thought I'd see Strauss play again, never mind play for Ireland , as for playing well.

Wish sean all the best , and hope he can return to the game , it will be very sad if he has to retire so young.

Actually your reminders of POC and Strauss are timely for me - I had written both of the off. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 1StradBROOK

I've always known these blow-ins who step in in front of seasoned schools players like Sean O'Brien did to Shane Jennings are there for tokenism. Don't these guys have self-respect and respect for men who have carried a nation on their shoulders and step back away having not attended trials etc. Can't say I see this as a shame at all - really a case of the truth coming out after some time for the better and good of the token "youths" players and for the game itself really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I've always known these blow-ins who step in in front of seasoned schools players like Sean O'Brien did to Shane Jennings are there for tokenism. Don't these guys have self-respect and respect for men who have carried a nation on their shoulders and step back away having not attended trials etc. Can't say I see this as a shame at all - really a case of the truth coming out after some time for the better and good of the token "youths" players and for the game itself really.

Sorry, what the **** is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

:pac:
    Though really what are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

vienne86 wrote: »
    Actually your reminders of POC and Strauss are timely for me - I had written both of the off. Here's hoping.

Luke too with his neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

clsmooth wrote: »
    Luke too with his neck.

Keith Wood made the '03 WC after terrible shouder issues - so with advancements in medicine I'd be confident our "token" Tullow native will be back (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It really boils down the individual I take it. One thing sob has is his constitution so maybe he'll rehab well and play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

.ak wrote: »
    It really boils down the individual I take it. One thing sob has is his constitution so maybe he'll rehab well and play with it.

Man I so wanna live in the country that follows the Sean O'Brien constitution... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Man I so wanna live in the country that follows the Sean O'Brien constitution... :pac:

Amendment 1: The right to bear arms.

Sean+O'Brien

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So with d Kearney, jordi, fmf and jenno all available for selection this weekend, I predict a decent performance over there and hopefully a try bp victory

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So with d Kearney, jordi, fmf and jenno all available for selection this weekend, I predict a decent performance over there and hopefully a try bp victory

Treviso away can be tricky enough usually, but they are not going at all well this season. Hopefully we won't be too rusty and can run in a BP win.

sydthebeat wrote: »

The squad will be something like the below I'd imagine:

01. Bent
    02. Byrne
    03. Furlong
    04. Denton
    05. Douglas
    06. Locky
    07. Jenno
    08. Murphy

09. Boss
    10. Gopperth
    11. Fitz
    12. Reid
    13. Macken
    14. McFadden
    15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
    17. Dooley
    18. Heffernan
    19. Marshall
    20. Conan
    21. L McGrath
    22. Crosbie
    23. D Kearney

The big issue being a few of the guys returning are short on match fitness so we might see the likes of Conan start ahead of Murphy on the bench. I'd expect Fitz, Ferg and Dave to feature in the 23, but Fanning could just as easily be in ahead of one of those. He's played a lot of minutes but has just gotten 3 weeks off too.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The big issue being a few of the guys returning are short on match fitness so we might see the likes of Conan start ahead of Murphy on the bench. I'd expect Fitz, Ferg and Dave to feature in the 23, but Fanning could just as easily be in ahead of one of those. He's played a lot of minutes but has just gotten 3 weeks off too.

Yeah, I'd say similar to you, except maybe McFadden to bench ahead of Crosbie given Reid can provide cover at 10, and Fanning to start.

Yeah, I'd say similar to you, except maybe McFadden to bench ahead of Crosbie given Reid can provide cover at 10, and Fanning to start.

Not sure MOC sees Reid as 10 cover, but it's possible.

I still don't think we're going to see anything vintage here. There will be rust and Treviso will make it a slog. I don't care as long as we get the win tbh. I see Sky have this one. A real glamour fixture! Surprised they didn't go with Ulster-Ospreys.

I still don't think we're going to see anything vintage here. There will be rust and Treviso will make it a slog. I don't care as long as we get the win tbh. I see Sky have this one. A real glamour fixture! Surprised they didn't go with Ulster-Ospreys.

I don't think many of us would see Reid as 10 cover! I think this could be an error strewn affair, with everyone rusty, but if we grind out a BP win, I don't care how we get it. We need this one.

I'd probably feel safer with Reid covering at 10 than Crosbie tbh. I'd really love to see Marsh get a shot.

This is just a bonus fixture; it was arranged when there was no TV deal in place for Italy.
    Sky choosing to show Ulster v Ospreys would have meant playing it on Saturday evening after the Ireland game, and Ulster probably wouldn't have been too happy about that.

I'd probably feel safer with Reid covering at 10 than Crosbie tbh. I'd really love to see Marsh get a shot.

This is just a bonus fixture; it was arranged when there was no TV deal in place for Italy.
    Sky choosing to show Ulster v Ospreys would have meant playing it on Saturday evening after the Ireland game, and Ulster probably wouldn't have been too happy about that.

Ditto on Marsh.

Also didn't think about the timings of the games vs internationals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A 3-0 win for us with no injuries will do nicely - get a load of lads back playing ahead of the next three weeks which are absolutely huge!
    Actually, scrap that, the next month and a bit is another make-or-break section of the season.
    If we string together wins, we'll nearly have the European group sewn up and be in a very strong position in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement