Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭otbrugby

I think we'll be looking for a new SH come the end of the season tbh.

of course we will its MOC, if he could he'd replace every player with a NIQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

otbrugby wrote: »

Don't know if that's intended as a wind up but it's a bit of a ridiculous statement to make. I'm not a fan of MOC by any means but if your going to pick up a stick to beat him with, make sure it's not covered in dog s*@t. He'd prefer to bring in some top quality foreign signings, so would every manager in every province. I like McGrath and Cooney too but neither of them will ever be international standard like the SH's they're replacing, so we should just plod along with local boys and not aspire to winning trophies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

So anyhoooo.

Predictions for the team announcement? I'm assuming we'll be without McGrath, Ross, Toner, Heaslip, D'Arcy and Kearney but I'd be hopeful about Cronin, Madigan and Reddan given Kilcoyne, O'Donnell and Jones are all benching for Munster.
    With Byrne out, they might take a gamble on Strauss. Not sure what the story is with McCarthy, would be great to have him back, likewise Jennings.

So maybe:
    Bent, Strauss/Dundon, Furlong
    McCarthy/Denton, Douglas
    Ryan, Murphy, Conan
    Boss, Gopperth
    D Kearney, Reid, Macken, Fanning
    Kirchner

Bench: Cronin, Byrne, Dooley, Denton/Marshall, Jennings, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

(I'm including Boss on the basis of bib theory from earlier in the week.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wouldn't be surprised to see Reddan start, and McFadden at 13.

.ak wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Reddan start, and McFadden at 13.

Yeah, I'd much rather McFadden at 13 than Macken, suppose it depends how fit he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Yeah, I'd much rather McFadden at 13 than Macken, suppose it depends how fit he is.
    If Mc Fadden is classified as a centre as Luke Fitz has been recently also, that brings the number of centres in the Leinster camp to about 14, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

wise7 wrote: »
    If Mc Fadden is classified as a centre as Luke Fitz has been recently also, that brings the number of centres in the Leinster camp to about 14, I think.

If he is he will be the 5th guy to be named at 13 in 11 games. I like how we have such a strong understanding of who is succeeding BOD by now.

wise7 wrote: »

Don't forget SOB isn't actually injured, he's just doing training with BOD to fill in at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

If he is he will be the 5th guy to be named at 13 in 11 games. I like how we have such a strong understanding of who is succeeding BOD by now.
    The point is there is some traffic jam built up in certain positions like Centre and backrow too. Hard to see how players progress or get a chance to develop.

The problem is at 13 we have a serious question mark hanging over it. And then when we do decide to give someone a run at the position they get injured. Not exactly the management's fault.

• Advertisement

You're dead right. It's a major indictment of the Leinster set-up that they employed a coach who can't even see into the future.

Joe would definitely have known that Te'o would break his arm 20 minutes into his debut and would have planned accordingly.

MOC out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I hope that Conan retains his spot as backup 8 now that Murphy is back. He's really started hitting his stride in the last few weeks and carries a try scoring threat. Would've been under the posts last week too only for a mix up with McGrath at the ruck.
    With his physique Murphys long term position will be no.7 so I think he should be left to develop there, even though we're swamped for numbers at openside. For tomorrow though I wouldn't be surprised to see 6. Conan 7. Ryan 8. Murphy.

I actually think Conan is a superb 6, have no issue with him there at all. Very Ruddock like in his work rate, but his ball skills are an asset at 8 too. Funnily enough I feel the weakest in that purposed backrow lineup is Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

You're dead right. It's a major indictment of the Leinster set-up that they employed a coach who can't even see into the future.

Joe would definitely have known that Te'o would break his arm 20 minutes into his debut and would have planned accordingly.

MOC out.

Has anyone pointed out how good an omen it is that he broke his arm? Nacewa broke his very early on in his Leinster career.

Oh, and keeping in the spirit that it's Friday... A friend of one of the team's physio's told me the medical team are very happy with SOB's progress, and aren't sure where the career-ending rumours are coming from.

Having said that they could just be double-bluffing, but it's nice to hear the opposite of the negative rumours now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Oh, and keeping in the spirit that it's Friday... A friend of one of the team's physio's told me the medical team are very happy with SOB's progress, and aren't sure where the career-ending rumours are coming from.

Having said that they could just be double-bluffing, but it's nice to hear the opposite of the negative rumours now and again.

That's great to hear. I just hope that everyone takes their time over it and he doesn't rush back lack he did last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Quality Friday news there .ak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I actually think Conan is a superb 6, have no issue with him there at all. Very Ruddock like in his work rate, but his ball skills are an asset at 8 too. Funnily enough I feel the weakest in that purposed backrow lineup is Ryan.

Yeah I can see him being utilised at 6 a good bit this season given Ruddock and McLaughlin are the only other real blindsides in the squad. I imagine his performances this season will have nudged him ahead of McLaughlin. The more gametime he gets the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Probably been mentioned but the IT also seems confident Fitz will be back in training Monday ahead of the Quins game, and the reason he was withdrawn v Treviso was purely precautionary. God I hope so anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster A playing in Donnybrook at 1pm tomorrow. Do STHs get in free?

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned but the IT also seems confident Fitz will be back in training Monday ahead of the Quins game, and the reason he was withdrawn v Treviso was purely precautionary. God I hope so anyway

Think they just lifted that info from the injury update on the LR website tbh.

In keeping with my positivity today I'd like to think of it like this; anyone who's played rugby before and has gotten an injury knows that the hardest part is getting back into it - generally speaking after a serious injury your body compensates, especially when running. This can lead to added strain on certain parts of the body, for me I put too much weight on my right leg to support my left, so I get tight shins/calves if I stop playing for anymore than 2 weeks. So pre-season is always hell for me, lots of little niggles.

I'm hoping this is the same for Fitzy. The positive thing (if you can call it that) is it's his groin, which isn't one of the many serious injuries he's had. It's a troublesome area, but if it's muscle related its certainly something that'll ease out over time, a case of getting over that back-to-running hump and hopefully his body will learn to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/12897.php#.VHhj-GfiRtQ

LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
    14. Darragh Fanning
    13. Fergus McFadden
    12. Ian Madigan
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Eoin Reddan CAPTAIN
    1. Michael Bent
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Mike McCarthy
    5. Kane Douglas
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jack Conan

16. James Tracy
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Jamie Hagan
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Gordon D'Arcy

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 32nd competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Mark Patton, Stuart Gaffikin (both IRFU)
    Citing Commissioner: Denis Templeton (IRFU)
    TMO: Alan Rogan (IRFU)

15 Dan Evans
    14 Aisea Natoga
    13 Andrew Bishop
    12 Hanno Dirksen
    11 Tom Grabham
    10 Sam Davies
    9 Martin Roberts

1 Marc Thomas
    2 Sam Parry
    3 Dmitri Arhip
    4 Lloyd Peers (Capt)
    5 Tyler Ardron
    6 Joe Bearman
    7 Sam Lewis
    8 Dan Baker

REPLACEMENTS
    16 Scott Otten
    17 Gareth Thomas
    18 Cai Griffiths
    19 Rynier Bernardo
    20 Ieuan Jones
    21 Tom Habberfield
    22 Josh Matavesi
    23 Dafydd Howells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gopperth again. That man is bulletproof. I know Madigan is at 12 because starting internationals are being rested after the Oz game.

But would Madigan/Reid at 10 and 12 really be any worse?

Clegg wrote: »
    Gopperth again. I know Madigan is at 12 because starting internationals are being rested after the Oz game.

But would Madigan/Reid at 10 and 12 really be any worse?

I think he has played well v the ospreys before and at home we should have enough, just

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ruddock, Reid and D'Arcy on the bench, nice.

Very happy with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've two inside centres on the bench yet Madigan still can't get a game at 10. Tbh I'm a bit annoyed at this.

At least Furlong gets a start.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very happy with that team.

Absolutely.

I hope those who have been hard on gopperth recently see how good he is outside a crisp sh and a pack that should be on top.

Excellent 9 - 15

• Advertisement

Gopperth is a lucky boy. I'm guessing that will be the backline v Quins with Darce coming in for Fanning and Ferg to the wing

Hopefully Conan starts to nail down his position as 2nd choice 8, we shouldn't need to flog Heaslip any longer

Very interesting to see Byrne start. Does Dundon still exist??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I wonder will some of that pack play on Sunday in the B&I cup as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster A playing in Donnybrook at 1pm tomorrow. Do STHs get in free?

Yep. Hoping to be there myself but not 100% sure if I can make it yet. Should be able to catch the second half of the internationals in Kielys then too before heading to the RDS....
    Think they just lifted that info from the injury update on the LR website tbh.

In keeping with my positivity today I'd like to think of it like this; anyone who's played rugby before and has gotten an injury knows that the hardest part is getting back into it - generally speaking after a serious injury your body compensates, especially when running. This can lead to added strain on certain parts of the body, for me I put too much weight on my right leg to support my left, so I get tight shins/calves if I stop playing for anymore than 2 weeks. So pre-season is always hell for me, lots of little niggles.

I'm hoping this is the same for Fitzy. The positive thing (if you can call it that) is it's his groin, which isn't one of the many serious injuries he's had. It's a troublesome area, but if it's muscle related its certainly something that'll ease out over time, a case of getting over that back-to-running hump and hopefully his body will learn to deal with it.

And if anyone knows about coming back from injury.... :D

As for the squad I am annoyed that Reid drops to the bench to make way for Mads and not Gopperth. I'm no Gopperth hater, but last weeks performance was simply so bad and Mads' opportunities at 10 so limited that for me this week was crying out for a change.

I'd say though the reason for the selection is with a view to next week, where we might be looking at the below so it's probably fair enough. Still niggles with me though.

01. McGrath
    02. Cronin
    03. Ross
    04. Toner
    05. McCarthy (don't think Douglas has done enough personally)
    06. Ruddock
    07. Ryan (still no sign of Jenno :()
    08. Heaslip

09. Reddan
    10. Gopperth
    11. Fitz
    12. Madigan
    13. Darce
    14. McFadden
    15. R Kearney

16. Byrne
    17. Bent
    18. Furlong
    19. Douglas
    20. Conan/Murphy
    21. Boss
    22. Reid
    23. D Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    I wonder will some of that pack play on Sunday in the B&I cup as well.

They play tomorrow at 1pm. So they'll be pretty depleted. I wonder if Dundon will be playing in that one?

Yeah what's the story with Dundon?

Happy enough with that team though I'd prefer Madigan on the bench and Reid starting. I think Reid is going to be a big part of our plans and needs game time to get where he was last season. Just needs to get into his stride after what must be a pretty sore injury.

Also Darce on the bench is weird. Presumably Madigan will be subbed off at some point due to minutes played, so Darce to 12? Or maybe they'll shift the entire backline with Fanning coming off, McFadden moving to the wing, and Reid and Darce playing midfield. Really smacks of 'Lets get everyone some game time in the midfield before the quins game and then see who plays best'.

We could potentially have have 4 different players play centre tomorrow.

MOC out.

your plan at 13 should never be a player who has no experience of playing union.

• Advertisement

A team front row is going to be a whose who of ail players.

Yeah what's the story with Dundon?

Happy enough with that team though I'd prefer Madigan on the bench and Reid starting. I think Reid is going to be a big part of our plans and needs game time to get where he was last season. Just needs to get into his stride after what must be a pretty sore injury.

Also Darce on the bench is weird. Presumably Madigan will be subbed off at some point due to minutes played, so Darce to 12? Or maybe they'll shift the entire backline with Fanning coming off, McFadden moving to the wing, and Reid and Darce playing midfield. Really smacks of 'Lets get everyone some game time in the midfield before the quins game and then see who plays best'.

We could potentially have have 4 different players play centre tomorrow.

I'd be pretty sure it's Gopperth-Madigan 10/12 they're planning for the Quins game and they're giving them time together. They're not going to drop D'Arcy so he'll play 13.

your plan at 13 should never be a player who has no experience of playing union.

Meh, they could have signed anyone on the planet and you wouldn't be happy. If we broke the bank and got Smith or Kuridrani, you'd be giving out because some plucky youngster in the Academy was being overlooked for a foreigner.

MOC took a chance on Te'o, I still think he's going to pan out well, but if not, we had three other guys in the squad who have played 13 not just for Leinster but for Ireland and one who has played there for South Africa.

And you think, what, he should have signed more players?

It's just another ill-informed and illogical stick to beat MOC with.

Meh, they could have signed anyone on the planet and you wouldn't be happy. If we broke the bank and got Smith or Kuridrani, you'd be giving out because some plucky youngster in the Academy was being overlooked for a foreigner.

MOC took a chance on Te'o, I still think he's going to pan out well, but if not, we had three other guys in the squad who have played 13 not just for Leinster but for Ireland and one who has played there for South Africa.

And you think, what, he should have signed more players?

It's just another ill-informed and illogical stick to beat MOC with.

Best of luck cheering for the Ospreys tomorrow, hope you get the result you want.

Talk about making assumptions, i would have been delighted if he we had signed someone proven that he can play outside centre in union.

I think he should have signed a player with experience playing 13 in union, not gambled on a league player with no experience.

Who are we england? sign a rugby league brute and stick him in the centre, now bosh away.

Why did you edit the last line of your reply out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's a nice team for tomorrow. Gopperth at 10 probably means he'll start there next week. Be interested to see how he gets on wiht Reddan.

• Advertisement

I think it's fairly obvious why we signed T'eo and not someone with a proven record at 13. Something to do with that little competition next September....

Tox56 wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure it's Gopperth-Madigan 10/12 they're planning for the Quins game and they're giving them time together. They're not going to drop D'Arcy so he'll play 13.

Yeah suppose that's been the run for the big games. Fingers crossed for no more injuries, think we'll be in rude health for next week, just Moore/Healy/SOB missing right?

Talk about making assumptions, i would have been delighted if he we had signed someone proven that he can play outside centre in union.

You sure about that? Talking about scrum-half last night you said:
    and the previous day:
    Well MOC wants to bring in even more NIQ players.
    but fair enough, you've changed your opinion, that's OK, we need NIQs to be competitive.
    I think he should have signed a player with experience playing 13 in union, not gambled on a league player with no experience.

Who? Give me a name, that we could afford and was willing to come here 12 months before a world cup?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yep. Hoping to be there myself but not 100% sure if I can make it yet. Should be able to catch the second half of the internationals in Kielys then too before heading to the RDS....

And if anyone knows about coming back from injury.... :D

As for the squad I am annoyed that Reid drops to the bench to make way for Mads and not Gopperth. I'm no Gopperth hater, but last weeks performance was simply so bad and Mads' opportunities at 10 so limited that for me this week was crying out for a change.

I'd say though the reason for the selection is with a view to next week, where we might be looking at the below so it's probably fair enough. Still niggles with me though.

01. McGrath
    02. Cronin
    03. Ross
    04. Toner
    05. McCarthy (don't think Douglas has done enough personally)
    06. Ruddock
    07. Ryan (still no sign of Jenno :()
    08. Heaslip

09. Reddan
    10. Gopperth
    11. Fitz
    12. Madigan
    13. Darce
    14. McFadden
    15. R Kearney

16. Byrne
    17. Bent
    18. Furlong
    19. Douglas
    20. Conan/Murphy
    21. Boss
    22. Reid
    23. D Kearney

Really, really hope Fitz is fit. But even still I think he might struggle to impose himself whilst shaking the cobwebs off.

Agree with the rest of your team, and tbh I'm not too bothered between McCarthy and Douglas regarding who starts. They both bring very different games to the table so it'll be interesting to see where he goes. If he picks McCarthy you can see us going for the arm-wrestle and maybe repeating what Munster did there - strangle them and push them back into their own half with flat line speed and spoil as much ball as possible. It isn't pretty but frankly I'm not someone who subscribes to the idea we have to play in an entertaining fashion. For me, all types of gameplay is entertaining for me, that's the beauty about rugby. Can't see it being a vintage running display but if we get 4 points then I'll be a happy camper.

I have been disappointed in some of Zane and esp. Douglas's few performances recently.

We need these NIQ internationals to give it 100% every game too.

Really, really hope Fitz is fit. But even still I think he might struggle to impose himself whilst shaking the cobwebs off.

If we have McFadden, the two Kearneys, Kirchner, D'Arcy, Fanning and Madigan all available, then there shouldn't be any need to rush him back. If he's on the bench for Quins I'll be happy enough.

Ah I've been happy enough with Zane. He's had a few wobbly games since his hammy went but he's been at worst solid for us, at best he's generally a clear cut above the rest on the field. Really should've shone against Treviso but something obviously wasn't right.

You sure about that? Talking about scrum-half last night you said:

but fair enough, you've changed your opinion, that's OK.

Who? Give me a name, that we could afford and was willing to come here 12 months before a world cup?

I realised it wasn't conducive to good debate, but also I don't know if you actually ever told us you claimed to be a Leinster fan? But I can't imagine you'll be cheering for Leinster tomorrow night.

I have no problem with signing NIQ players, i do have a problem with trying to replace every player with a NIQ signing.

I can't find a list of players who were available last summer so I can't really answer that question well.. i'm sure there was a centre available who was affordable and had experience in union.

I am a leinster fan but i am not a blind one who will think everything they do is good and everything is rosy under MOC.

If we have McFadden, the two Kearneys, Kirchner, D'Arcy, Fanning and Madigan all available, then there shouldn't be any need to rush him back. If he's on the bench for Quins I'll be happy enough.

I know, but none of the players you're named above really have that cutting edge at the moment. Closest would be Madigan and Kirchner, but Madigan will have his hands full at 12 and Kirchner hasn't been 100%. A fit Fitzgerald could be the difference between our backline being dangerous or just being solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think it's fairly obvious why we signed T'eo and not someone with a proven record at 13. Something to do with that little competition next September....

Sure he'll be playing 13 for England by then...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement