Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate to Masters

Options
  • 18-09-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

Need some help in relation to credits and awards when moving from a postgraduate diploma to a masters.

I have done the Postgrad, full 60 credits in one college. I then transferred to another college to do the 30 credit dissertation.

So my question is, if I am award the MSc, do I have to surrender the postgrad?

I remember reading somewhere, and of course I can't find it again, that if your postgrad is in the same area but there are differences to that offered under the MSc, you may keep both. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks everyone for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Contact someone at the college where you did the dissertation, they should be able to tell you straight away! I would be surprised if 90 credits in total could get you both a masters and a postgrad diploma, but best thing to do is ask the college who will be awarding the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pfiddle

Something similar to the above - I have 2 PG certs - both QQI-9 one from Trinity St David's Wales and the other from UCD. Both fairly recent. Both worth 30 ECTS points
    I'm now looking to do a postgraduate diploma also level 9 (ECTS-60). Can I add all 3 (business orientated) awards to claim a masters which I understand is 90 ECTS points??

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

pfiddle wrote: »
    Something similar to the above - I have 2 PG certs - both QQI-9 one from Trinity St David's Wales and the other from UCD. Both fairly recent. Both worth 30 ECTS points
    I'm now looking to do a postgraduate diploma also level 9 (ECTS-60). Can I add all 3 (business orientated) awards to claim a masters which I understand is 90 ECTS points??

I am in a position where I have completed a postgraduate diploma in TCD, need to confirm but I understand it to be 120 credits.

Within TCD there is an option to progress to a masters but I would need to complete a second postgraduate course there and then 2 years of a research masters.

I am interested in exploring other options, how did you approach a institution with a post grad and use the credits as part of the masters credits?

Do you know are some institutions more open to this than others?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tibulus wrote: »
    I am in a position where I have completed a postgraduate diploma in TCD, need to confirm but I understand it to be 120 credits.

Within TCD there is an option to progress to a masters but I would need to complete a second postgraduate course there and then 2 years of a research masters.

I am interested in exploring other options, how did you approach a institution with a post grad and use the credits as part of the masters credits?

Do you know are some institutions more open to this than others?

I'm not sure that is correct.

A Masters is 90 credits, a postgrad diploma is 60 with the additional of the the 30 credits for your thesis making it a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

I'm not sure that is correct.

A Masters is 90 credits, a postgrad diploma is 60 with the additional of the the 30 credits for your thesis making it a Masters.

Thanks for the response and clarifying. As I mentioned I wasn’t 100% on the figures.

My query is regarding taking the 60 credits from one institution, earning the remaining credits from an alternative institution who could award a masters?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tibulus wrote: »
    Thanks for the response and clarifying. As I mentioned I wasn’t 100% on the figures.

My query is regarding taking the 60 credits from one institution, earning the remaining credits from an alternative institution who could award a masters?

Pretty sure it's possible but you just end up with the masters and not both awards.

Check with the admissions office of the college you want to move to to finish it off

Advertisement