Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex Rebrand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

So now we have two cinemas within walking distance of each other showing essentially the same movies....
    And the population of Carlow hasn't mushroomed overnight ..

So unless they're able to differentiate themselves somehow they're both going to be under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

Blacknight wrote: »
    So now we have two cinemas within walking distance of each other showing essentially the same movies....
    And the population of Carlow hasn't mushroomed overnight ..

So unless they're able to differentiate themselves somehow they're both going to be under pressure

That's being done purposely by omniplex cinema after a falling out between them and the owners of imc. That's why they are opening again here to be a thorn in their side. Imc is one of the most profitable cinemas in the country apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Hopefully competition will be good for business and they choose a good year to do it in with a load of good films this year

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

Hopefully competition will be good for business and they choose a good year to do it in with a load of good films this year

Yea true competition is healthy! Omniplex needs to have a phenomenal cinema to beat imc though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

i wanted to go see john wick and the salvation but after checking both timetables it seems neither cinema is showing them. whats the point in having two cinemas in a fairly small town when theyre both showing pretty much the same films? pointless really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd like if one of them did something similar to the Cineworld Unlimited Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I still stand by what i said: Carlow is much too small a town to have two.

I feel a cinema in in four lakes dublin road or in the Dunnes area would have made more sense. Both have ample of free parking.

In my mind if they went to four lakes they could easily have put an Omniplex there and have a Tesco there bring business out that way. People could have the option then to eat at supermacs and do some shopping in the tesco. THAT would make more practical business sense wouldn't it??? Anyone??? also the same in the dunnes site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Not if they got a sweetheart deal from the Shopping Centre, which I assume they did

Also a lot cheaper to refurbish an existing cinema than building a completely new one I would guess.

There would be also no guarantee that they would get planning permission for the other places to build a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tonyheaney wrote: »

I feel a cinema in in four lakes dublin road or in the Dunnes area would have made more sense. Both have ample of free parking.

In my mind if they went to four lakes they could easily have put an Omniplex there and have a Tesco there bring business out that way. People could have the option then to eat at supermacs and do some shopping in the tesco. THAT would make more practical business sense wouldn't it??? Anyone??? also the same in the dunnes site.
    I don't agree. A central location is much better for an entertainment venue especially when there's so much cheap parking within a few minutes walking distance. Many patrons do other things before or after a movie where it's much more convenient to make one car/taxi journey and be within walking distance. Families can park up, kids go to a matinee, parent does errands in various shops, all meet back at the car; at weekend nights many people catch a movie then go for a few drinks, etc.

Imo it would have been commercial suicide for any cinema that moved out and left a competitor in a prime location.

• Advertisement

Also a lot cheaper to refurbish an existing cinema than building a completely new one I would guess.

There would be also no guarantee that they would get planning permission for the other places to build a cinema.
    Exactly
    I've no idea how much they spent fixing up the old cinema, but unless they've made dramatic changes to the layout etc., it'd be a lot more cost effective fixing an old cinema than building a new one.

Again, I'd imagine they got a sweetheart deal to go where they are to attract more people to the old shopping centre... It needs more tenants and a hook, as Super Valu aint attracting what it used to

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

brianblaze wrote: »
    I'll look out for you and your bin bags at Avengers on Thursday so!

:p

Omniplex is cheaper than IMC for films by a €1, not sure about sweets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Anyone here been in Omniplex yet?

ffocused wrote: »
    Anyone here been in Omniplex yet?

Was in it for the avengers triple bill on Wednesday for 8 hours.

Screen 1, 2 & 3 are the same as they were.

The seats in screen 1 are nice and comfy after sitting no them for 8 hours on complaints from me.

Cheaper film price by €1 from what I can see. Didn't buy popcorn etc so can compare those prices.

Was in the IMC last night for Avengers on the new Galactic screen. Bloody hell that's a big, loud screen. VIP seating was great too.

I went to IMC and saw Avengers 2D Atmos : Age Of Ultron with Dolby Atmos firstly Atmos???? didn't notice any difference and the movie its self was a bit dull like they played safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Went to Home with my niece and nephew yesterday in the Omniplex. One of the smaller screens, but it was very comfortable and more than 80% full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Went to see The Avengers last week and made the mistake of sitting to close to the screen..
    The picture and sound quality were excellent but €7.50 for the medium combo seemed stiff enough

• Advertisement

Went to see The Avengers last week and made the mistake of sitting to close to the screen..
    The picture and sound quality were excellent but €7.50 for the medium combo seemed stiff enough

where did you go? IMC or omniplex? also did you find the atmos working coz i didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

where did you go? IMC or omniplex? also did you find the atmos working coz i didnt

Sorry tony, i went to the Omniplex. The sound was good but didn't blow me away now

anyone else notice any difference with the Atmos?? I didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

anyone else notice any difference with the Atmos?? I didnt

I thought the film did not have an atmos soundtrack but IMDB states that it does. The Atmos 'shorts' before the film trailers were quite impressive so maybe another movie would make better use of the technology. The Superman vs Batman trailer is in Atmos & it was good.
    I would imagine it is better in less noisy, more atmospheric movies like Gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 back2basicsdub

Omniplex already owned the Carlow Shopping Centre. I presume in Carlow you need to keep the overheads down to make business profitable and ensure it lasts, which is what it looks like they've done. Not put in Ireland's largest screen like IMC have done; in Dublin yes it would work, but it's difficult to justify in a town like Carlow. It's great for the town though, but surprising given IMC's apparent financial issues

independent.ie/business/irish/cinema-equipment-company-sues-irish-multiplex-cinemas-31139357.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Omniplex already owned the Carlow Shopping Centre. I presume in Carlow you need to keep the overheads down to make business profitable and ensure it lasts, which is what it looks like they've done. Not put in Ireland's largest screen like IMC have done; in Dublin yes it would work, but it's difficult to justify in a town like Carlow. It's great for the town though, but surprising given IMC's apparent financial issues

independent.ie/business/irish/cinema-equipment-company-sues-irish-multiplex-cinemas-31139357.html

According to press reports the Galactic screens are being rolled out to their cinemas nationwide anyway. It seems it was a simple matter of bumping IMC Carlow to the head of the list in response to Omniplex.
    http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/04/17/carlow-imc-cinema-unveils-biggest-screen-in-ireland/

I went to the revamped Omniplex this weekend
    They've done a nice job of refurbishing the building both inside and out.
    Hopefully they'll maintain it

They also seem to be doing several "deals" with tiered ticket pricing depending on the time of day as well as some "bundles" (ie. ticket + popcorn or something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Been in there twice with the kids. First time there were 2 special needs kids with their carers and they were going crazy but got through the movie without too much disruption.

Went to the Minions recently and a whole bus load of them came in. Place was an absolute zoo, shouting and roaring, jumping up and down etc. Totally ruined the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Been in there twice with the kids. First time there were 2 special needs kids with their carers and they were going crazy but got through the movie without too much disruption.

Went to the Minions recently and a whole bus load of them came in. Place was an absolute zoo, shouting and roaring, jumping up and down etc. Totally ruined the movie.

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Wow

Nothing I said above was disparaging or demeaning.

What's disrespectful about using the words "special needs" or using "them" for a collection of people?

The term zoo was explaining the noise level and level of disruption in the place, if it was unruly teenagers or drunk adults causing chaos I'd be using the exact same terminology.

It seems you are going out of your way to be offended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement