Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start a UAV Based Aerial Photography Business

Options
  • 18-09-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey,

I've been interested in radio controlled aircraft and have built aircraft over the last few years.

I see the commercial use of drones for photography is growing and it has me really interested. I'd like to know if there would be jobs constantly to supply a good income if I were to set up a business like this. I know all the legal requirements and fees. I'd just be afraid if I were to set up such a business that I wouldn't get any clients...

If somebody with experience in this area could share info or send me somewhere I could find out more...

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I could see a market for it for large scale plans, I know a few years ago, my dads company had to hire out a chopper to take photos of a 700 acre site that he was doing work on, as it was necessary (won't go into why it was necessary).

Very few new companies start off with a list of clients, but there definitely are potential clients. Whether enough to sustain you or not I don't know.
    There are a few companies at it already, but doesn't mean you can't be better if your quality to price ratio is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

There was a great thread on this very topic in the last year or so. A rather crowded marketplace by now I fear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

http://www.coptercamireland.com/

Some stunning images and effects, but he's an award winning camera man to start out with...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will need a permit from www.iaa.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

its an exciting and potentially very rewarding market. But...there is the spectre of legislation and litigation hot on its tail whether people want to accept it or not. Drones can drop out the sky at any time and like any device can 'go wrong' even if its once in a blue moon. Once someone is injured or property damaged the law will not be so forgiving. The press will have a field day and Kay burley from Sky news will be calling drone owners terrorists and evil. (slight exaggeration!)

There have been several landmark cases in the UK where even good honest drone users have fallen foul through malfunction and no fault of their own and had the book thrown at them. (and thousands of pounds fines.)

No one wants to take out the brides eye on her special day but there is a great market for adventure sports in wide open spaces. Also the challenge of safety systems that can mitigate such failures. Its a technological issue. getting a drone to descend safely and slowly whatever the fault. Once that issue is solved the potential is huge. the images are amazing and I hope to get one soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jesus everybody wants to setup a drone company now!

reminds me of the time when everybody was doing the BER training to become a consultant back in 2007

Advertisement