Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice from dog warden

• 18-09-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I arrived home from work to find a notice from the dog warden telling me that I have 10 days to produce a current dog licence. I have two small dogs who probably barked the house down when he came to the door!, however, I don't have a dog licence and was wondering if I purchase 2 tomorrow will I get away without a fine? From reading the notice,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Having not read the letter, I suspect its a warning and you just have to buy a licence.

What I would worry about however is why the warden called in the first place.

I would wonder if your neighbours have reported you (dogs causing a disturbance or similar) and this is a first enforcement policy.

You need to check how your dogs are doing being left at home during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bike 5

Unfortunately they are dated on day of purchase, post office clerk might oblige by backdating by one day. I think the fine is 100 per dog (i stand to be corrected on that)

<snip>

This forum must not be used to advocate, in any way, any form of illegal or dishonest activities.
    Do not reply to this edit on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bike 5

Hopefully your neighbours are not to blame, if they keep a log of a barking dog they can take you to court but hopefully its just a random spot check...Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't know why you're cross about it - we're all supposed to have a licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

boomerang wrote: »

Are you cross siobhra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Mine had run out last time warden called (every three years or so that I've met him), you get one within 14 days, call the number and they'll ask (sometimes) for the licence number.
    In my experience they do an area (so it seems in my small town, they call to everyone), they don't know if you have a licence or not, I proudly produced mine to find they were out a month. When I rang to say I got them, they just said that's fine, didn't even ask for licence number.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, whilst they could fine you by the letter of the law, giving you several day's grace to go get your license is a tactic generally used by law-enforcement agencies to tactfully give you a chance to sort things out :)
    As long as you produce your new licences within the next few days, it's very unlikely to go any further, as the councils tend to view it as mission accomplished... Even if you didn't hold the licences the day the warden called.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Siobhra40

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Are you cross siobhra?

I'm not cross!!! In fact I laughed when I saw it, I know I should have a license but it's one of those things that I've put on the long fingers, just like my TV licence... I don't think the neighbours would have reported me, but I'm not sure if the dogs bark much when I'm not there. Occasionally, I've sneaked in and could be home 30 minutes before they have noticed and not a peep out of them. I think they chase each other around a lot and then sleep a lot. They are small dogs and don't have a huge bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Siobhra40

Thanks to all for the replies. I will get the licences tomorrow and hopefully I won't be fined. Sorry I haven't replied to all your messages but I'm new to this and haven't worked out how to do it. Must read the instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I got a notice quite a while ago and got all paranoid that maybe my dogs were barking while I was out and upsetting my neighbours. So I posted on our local FB notice board asking if anyone else in the area had received a notice and pretty much every house in my estate had.

I think they target an area and put notices through most doors in the hope they will get some people with dogs and they will buy a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Ah, so the red-faced, angry smiley means nothing then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Siobhra40 wrote: »
    They are small dogs and don't have a huge bark.

They're yappers, so? I'm a dog person, but the next door neighbour's dog is a champion yapper. Some days I'd happily load him into a catapult and fire him over the horizon...

It's not the 'hugeness' of the bark. Quite the opposite, in fact. and the frequency. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Dog wardens went to every house in my estate one day last week, red notices in every door looking for dog licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Live in the sticks and I've never seen them at all. 15 years here.

I wont even mention whether the dogs have licences either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Dog wardens went to every house in my estate one day last week, red notices in every door looking for dog licences.

Done the same in my estate the other day must be a great revenue generator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had them call in the summer, they did the whole area - I normally purchase and renew online through the councils website - you get a reminder that way too.

Hmm, they were doing the rounds here in the northeast last week too... I wonder did someone put a national-sized bomb under their butts or something? :pac:
    They didn't call to me though, I think they strike out houses where they know the dogs are licensed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Nothing at home in the Midlands that I've heard of anyway but mine are licenced.

My Dad was trying to convince them to put 'Heinz 57' under breed for Polly the last time he renewed them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

boomerang wrote: »

Law abiding perfect citizens of boards.ie strikes again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The did our area the week we got Bailey!

I got two of the lifetime ones last year - one less thing to remember each year!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What do we get in return for a dog license? I mean, at least with a tv license we got a few stations etc. It wouldn't be so bad if the licensing system at least involved some kind of vetting system that prevented people with animal cruelty convictions from ownership or went some way towards tackling the problem of puppy farms etc but as far as I can see it's just a revenue generator - does anyone know what they do with the money?

Edit: I thought they were more than twenty euro! I see you can get a lifetime one for 400, so depending on breed this might be more economical but who tf wants to jinx lucky? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

tk123 wrote: »
    The did our area the week we got Bailey!

I got two of the lifetime ones last year - one less thing to remember each year!!

Hire much is a lifetime licence?
    Didn't know such a thing existed.

Aimeee wrote: »
    Hire much is a lifetime licence?
    Didn't know such a thing existed.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/Dog+Licence/

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Edit: I thought they were more than twenty euro! I see you can get a lifetime one for 400, so depending on breed this might be more economical but who tf wants to jinx lucky? :(

The lifetime on is €140. The €400 one is for kennels etc...

EDIT - i thought I paid €120 for mine though? Maybe they're gone up - another reason to get the lifetime one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Individual licence is €20
    General licence (for kennel owners etc) is €400
    And a lifetime licence (for the individual dogs lifetime - tough luck afaik if doggie expires next month) is €120

Stand to be corrected of course but think they are the figures :-)

tk123 wrote: »
    The lifetime on is €140. The €400 one is for kennels etc...

EDIT - i thought I paid €120 for mine though? Maybe they're gone up - another reason to get the lifetime one!

Sorry, typo. Like everything I guess they are creeping steadily up. I remember when they were 13 euro.

I had a vicious little dog come at my two a while back and I let it go. Next time that guy crosses me I plan on calling the warden and hit him where it hurts - he has 4 dogs lol!! >;D €€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Siobhra40 wrote: »
    They are small dogs and don't have a huge bark.

I'm sorry to say Siobhra, but most people (myself included) would find a small dog's bark far more irritating if barking constantly, than a large dog's bark. It could be that your neighbours are being bothered by barking, but surely they would have approached you first.

gimmick wrote: »
    Law abiding perfect citizens of boards.ie strikes again :rolleyes:

Can we drop the references to the op being angry, please? OP put an angry smiley in the thread title, so any enquiries as to their anger seem perfectly legit to me.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What do we get in return for a dog license? I mean, at least with a tv license we got a few stations etc. It wouldn't be so bad if the licensing system at least involved some kind of vetting system that prevented people with animal cruelty convictions from ownership or went some way towards tackling the problem of puppy farms etc but as far as I can see it's just a revenue generator - does anyone know what they do with the money?

They take stray dogs in off the street, thus performing an important public health and safety role, as well as keeping the dog safe (though in some pound's cases, I wonder would the dogs have been safer if left wandering the streets :o)
    The wardens also enforce the dog breeding establishments legislation, and will be enforcing the new welfare legislation amongst others. They also carry out inspections of commercial kennels.
    So, the license fee does go towards funding important services that might often go unnoticed unless one reads court reports and annual reports published by their local county councils.

Advertisement