Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice from dog warden

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

DBB wrote: »
    They take stray dogs in off the street, thus performing an important public health and safety role, as well as keeping the dog safe (though in some pound's cases, I wonder would the dogs have been safer if left wandering the streets :o)
    The wardens also enforce the dog breeding establishments legislation, and will be enforcing the new welfare legislation amongst others. They also carry out inspections of commercial kennels.
    So, the license fee does go towards funding important services that might often go unnoticed unless one reads court reports and annual reports published by their local county councils.

I doubt that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

However like all government taxes, the percentage of the dog liecense is likely to be spent propping up the exchequer and only in small part for the purpose stated. The odd time I've contacted such no answer on the phone, likely collecting monies.

Manach wrote: »
    However like all government taxes, the percentage of the dog liecense is likely to be spent propping up the exchequer and only in small part for the purpose stated. The odd time I've contacted such no answer on the phone, likely collecting monies.

To be ignored, press 1...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I doubt that.

Whilst it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment, there are some pounds in the country that leave an enormous amount to be desired in terms of animal welfare and the service they provide to the public.
    Manach wrote: »

I was at a seminar last year where one of the better county vets presented a comprehensive breakdown of how much is collected in license monies, and where every penny of them is spent. Unless he was lying, every penny collected from license fees goes back to running the pound service.
    As an employee of a government body who also collect license monies, I know for certain that every penny of the licences in our instance goes back into the service.
    I won't speak for any other license-money generating services other than these, but I think this idea that all monies are being used to prop up the exchequer is a tad simplistic, and in the cases I'm aware of, just plain misleading. Indeed, nationally, the county pound services are running at a deficit every year, partly due to the fact that the uptake of dog licences is estimated to be only about 30% nationally.

Whilst it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment, there are some pounds in the country that leave an enormous amount to be desired in terms of animal welfare and the service they provide to the public.

I'm not disputing that, but the life of a stray is hardly any better. An unneutered female coming into season and at the mercy of other dogs. Road accidents. Illness. Abuse. Hunger. Harsh weather conditions.

I'm (regrettably) sure that next month's Hallowe'en will bring the usual spate of unspeakable acts of cruelty to animals who have nobody to defend them.

I accept that pounds are hardly ideal either and there is a shameful amount of healthy dogs PTS every year (it's something we should be ashamed of as a country tbh and fair play to the few charities who do try to foster out dogs until they are re-homed) but the odds are never in the dogs favour.

Neither situation is ideal...and I am not getting into a contest about it on a Friday afternoon :)

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that, but the life of a stray is hardly any better. An unneutered female coming into season and at the mercy of other dogs. Road accidents. Illness. Abuse. Hunger. Harsh weather conditions.

I'm (regrettably) sure that next month's Hallowe'en will bring the usual spate of unspeakable acts of cruelty to animals who have nobody to defend them.

I accept that pounds are hardly ideal either and there is a shameful amount of healthy dogs PTS every year (it's something we should be ashamed of as a country tbh and fair play to the few charities who do try to foster out dogs until they are re-homed) but the odds are never in the dogs favour.

Neither situation is ideal...and I am not getting into a contest about it on a Friday afternoon :)

Which all goes to show the the dog license monies do go towards a worthwhile service after all.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Siobhra40

boomerang wrote: »
    Ah, so the red-faced, angry smiley means nothing then. :D

Sorry boomerang, I thought it was a 'sad' smiley, need new glasses? I got 2 licences today and posted them to the local council. Hopefully that's the last I hear from the dog warden. The dogs look more relaxed now that the're legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Siobhra40

They take stray dogs in off the street, thus performing an important public health and safety role, as well as keeping the dog safe (though in some pound's cases, I wonder would the dogs have been safer if left wandering the streets :o)
    The wardens also enforce the dog breeding establishments legislation, and will be enforcing the new welfare legislation amongst others. They also carry out inspections of commercial kennels.
    So, the license fee does go towards funding important services that might often go unnoticed unless one reads court reports and annual reports published by their local county councils.

I hadn't thought about what the license fee was used for. As an animal lover I'm feeling a bit guilty now. There are a lot of dogs out there in terrible situations and I now see it as my little contribution towards employing someone to look out for them. Although, I'm not sure how I feel about something council pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

I didn't know either what the license fee funded. I suspect most owners think the fee goes towards the exchequer as mentioned earlier. It's typical of our government to expect people to pay taxes without taking the bother to educate people as to what the various taxes go towards. Now please don't tell me to google it, as i shouldn't have to. I would like to see a major advertising campaign on tv that this money goes towards animal welfare societies, assuming it does.

sparky63 wrote: »
    I would like to see a major advertising campaign on tv that this money goes towards animal welfare societies, assuming it does.

It doesn't go to animal welfare societies. It funds the pound and warden service, and amongst other things, the wardens are on of the groups of officers authorised to enforce the new Animal Welfare Act.
    Animal welfare societies are generally privately funded, though they may get a small amount of public funding from the Dept of Ag every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Wardens look after animal welfare too and my point is that if people that do not license there pets could see that the money partly or wholly contributes towards animal welfare would be more inclined to license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Thank you for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Our local warden covers an area about forty miles long by forty miles wide. The cost of providing an equipped van and daily running costs, plus the cost of running the actual pound, dodge food, cleaning products, plus the cost of his wages plus all pension levies etc, and I highly doubt that the licences in the area cover costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Live in the sticks and I've never seen them at all. 15 years here.

I wont even mention whether the dogs have licences either...

I've no dog licence and my dogs seem to bark just as well without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Siobhra40 wrote: »
    I arrived home from work to find a notice from the dog warden telling me that I have 10 days to produce a current dog licence. I have two small dogs who probably barked the house down when he came to the door!, however, I don't have a dog licence and was wondering if I purchase 2 tomorrow will I get away without a fine? From reading the notice,

Happened to me too, but when i bought them and showed them warden was fine.
    I don't think there will be any fine, but do indeed make sure to check why the warden came.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

oldtart wrote: »
    I've no dog licence and my dogs seem to bark just as well without one.

Why don't you get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

A dog licence is 20 euro for an entire year....if you can afford a dog, you can afford a dogs licence!

Advertisement