Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre Questions

Options
  • 18-09-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering signing up with Eircom and availing of eFibre. I've a few questions about the service hopefully somebody or the Eircom reps could help me out with.

What modem do Eircom supply for eFibre customers, and is there a spec sheet available for it? I've seen in other places the Zyxel D1000 was/is your modem of choice. If it's the only offered modem could you point me towards it's spec sheet (not the manual)? On your website the modem listed under your accessories states as one of its features 802.11g. Is this the modem I will receive? I find it quite laughable in this day an age that 802.11g is being touted as a feature.

Does the Eircom supplied modem allow port forwarding? Does it support WAN port reflection?

As an Eircom eFibre customer can I have a static IP address?

If I am not happy with the modem (802.11g) you are supplying would you consider applying a €50 credit to my account and allowing me to use my own? (I appreciate you may not want to openly answer this on a forum so I am open to other forms of communication).

If I am happy with the supplied Eircom modem but I alter the settings away from your 'recommended' will your technical support refuse to help me if I have an issue unrelated to the changed settings? (Again, I appreciate you may not want to openly answer this on a forum so I am open to other forms of communication).

Do I have to sign up to an 18month contract with eFibre or is there an option for a 12month contract? 

I'd also be interested in hearing any stories people have about Eircom good or bad. I'd prefer to know what I'm getting into beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

The modem is a F1000. 
    http://support.eircom.net/article/14969

If you use your own VDSL modem it must properly support vectoring, no matter if you are with vodafone, eircom retail, etc. If it doesn't eircom wholesale/networks may unjumper your vdsl connection at the cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering signing up with Eircom and availing of eFibre. I've a few questions about the service hopefully somebody or the Eircom reps could help me out with.

What modem do Eircom supply for eFibre customers, and is there a spec sheet available for it? I've seen in other places the Zyxel D1000 was/is your modem of choice. If it's the only offered modem could you point me towards it's spec sheet (not the manual)? On your website the modem listed under your accessories states as one of its features 802.11g. Is this the modem I will receive? I find it quite laughable in this day an age that 802.11g is being touted as a feature.

Does the Eircom supplied modem allow port forwarding? Does it support WAN port reflection?

As an Eircom eFibre customer can I have a static IP address?

If I am not happy with the modem (802.11g) you are supplying would you consider applying a €50 credit to my account and allowing me to use my own? (I appreciate you may not want to openly answer this on a forum so I am open to other forms of communication).

If I am happy with the supplied Eircom modem but I alter the settings away from your 'recommended' will your technical support refuse to help me if I have an issue unrelated to the changed settings? (Again, I appreciate you may not want to openly answer this on a forum so I am open to other forms of communication).

Do I have to sign up to an 18month contract with eFibre or is there an option for a 12month contract? 

I'd also be interested in hearing any stories people have about Eircom good or bad. I'd prefer to know what I'm getting into beforehand.

Hi Kavrocks

I can confirm eircom provide the Zyxel F1000 (Spec & manual found here: http://support.eircom.net/article/14969 )

The Zyxel is the only modem eircom will provide for efibre. You would be welcome to use an alternative but a rebate or reimbursement for this choice will not be offered or provided.

Eircom do not assist with port forwarding or Wan port reflection although you are welcome to carry such modifications out at your own discretion. I can aslo confirm that you can also have a static IP address but there is a charge of €50 for a static IP.

Ultimately I will be unable to speculate whether eircom can offer you technical support to a modified router but I can assure you that if the issues are deemed by eircom not to be in relation to modifications then technical support will of course be offered.

I can also confirm that all efibre packages and subscriptions carry and 18 month contract.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

jd wrote: »
    The modem is a F1000. 

If you use your own VDSL modem it must properly support vectoring, no matter if you are with vodafone, eircom retail, etc. If it doesn't eircom wholesale/networks may unjumper your vdsl connection at the cabinet.
    Thanks a mil for the link and info.
    Hi Kavrocks

I can confirm eircom provide the Zyxel F1000 (Spec & manual found here: http://support.eircom.net/article/14969 )

The Zyxel is the only modem eircom will provide for efibre. You would be welcome to use an alternative but a rebate or reimbursement for this choice will not be offered or provided.

Eircom do not assist with port forwarding or Wan port reflection although you are welcome to carry such modifications out at your own discretion. I can aslo confirm that you can also have a static IP address but there is a charge of €50 for a static IP.

Ultimately I will be unable to speculate whether eircom can offer you technical support to a modified router but I can assure you that if the issues are deemed by eircom not to be in relation to modifications then technical support will of course be offered.

I can also confirm that all efibre packages and subscriptions carry and 18 month contract.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks a mil for the help Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Kavrocks wrote: »
    jd wrote: »
    The modem is a F1000. 

Thanks a mil for the link and info.
    Hi Kavrocks

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks a mil for the help Al.
    No worries Kavrocks

Al

Advertisement