Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22g tank for goldfish

Options
  • 18-09-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We were 'given' a 22 gallon/80litre tank with 5 goldfish. 4 common goldfish and one shubunkin. There is a (common i think) pleco in there too but he is only about 1.5 inches long. I have some knowledge of keeping tropical fish in the past but im not sure how many goldfish can be kept in this tank. They are all about 2-3 inches long. Is that too many? They all seem healthy and no pecking etc. But i know they will probably get a lot bigger. Not sure on their age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

On further searching here, i realise that the tank is probably not big enough for even 1:eek: What are my options now? The kid and I loves them, but i dont want them to suffer welfare wise. Can they be safely kept there until they reach a certan size, or will their health suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I were you I'd look at getting a tank big enough for one of two of them and rehome the rest to someone with a pond. The pleco will get way too big as well, so look at rehoming that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

On further searching here, i realise that the tank is probably not big enough for even 1:eek: What are my options now? The kid and I loves them, but i dont want them to suffer welfare wise. Can they be safely kept there until they reach a certan size, or will their health suffer?

You have to strike a balance between impecible welfare for the fish and aesthetic value for yourself.

You would be safe with 100lt for goldie #1 and another 50lt for each aditional fish.

Trouble is, your tank will look empty for a long time until they grow into it.....

You could supplement with other cold-water fish such as mountain minnows, to give a bit of movement to the tank.

Advertisement