Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 2013 or 365

Options
  • 18-09-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I'm running Microsoft Office 2007 on my laptop and was looking at upgrading it to 2013. What's the difference between the 2013 version and 365 version? Also, a lot of the ones I've been looking at online state that they're a one year subscription. Do you now have to pay for it every year? Once the subscription runs out will I loose all access or just access to the cloud storage? Office has gotten very confusing!

Comments

Office 365 is the subscription product whereas Office 2013 Home and Student or Office 2013 Home and Business are the traditional products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Also, the cheaper subscription plans of Office 365 are Web only, i.e they run in a web browser, require a good quality connection to the internet (of little use when on the train / 3G / out in the country) and have limited functionality, e.g no excel macros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭wandererz

I have an Office 365 subscription. It is the version that installs onto my laptop and gives me the full suite of Office apps.

It allows on up to 5 devices (i think).

It's about a tenner a month and gets automatically charged. It's a small enough charge that i don't notice it. I could charge it to my company, but i don't.

Some people may have a problem with this, but i don't. It gets rid of any hassle with other pseudo office programs and allows me to work with stuff that i am used to, in the way i expect to use them and across multiple devices with one subscription rather than one on each device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

wandererz wrote: »
    I have an Office 365 subscription. It is the version that installs onto my laptop and gives me the full suite of Office apps.

It allows on up to 5 devices (i think).

It's about a tenner a month and gets automatically charged. It's a small enough charge that i don't notice it. I could charge it to my company, but i don't.

Some people may have a problem with this, but i don't. It gets rid of any hassle with other pseudo office programs and allows me to work with stuff that i am used to, in the way i expect to use them and across multiple devices with one subscription rather than one on each device.

Someone else mentioned that it's web-based. Do you need an internet connection 24/7? Does it work when you're offline?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

just do it wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned that it's web-based. Do you need an internet connection 24/7? Does it work when you're offline?

You can also download the desktop version of Office with a 365 subscription, see here

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    You can also download the desktop version of Office with a 365 subscription, see here

Nick

Cheers
    A bit of further research on my own behalf lead me to the same thing. I've gone for the Office 365 for €99pa purely due to the 1TB of cloud that comes with it. A bit more than what I wanted to pay but such is the way they've it engineered. For me it will replace dropbox and allow me to access docs on my phone. Unfortunately I'm a relatively heavy user of Word and Excel and I've found the alternatives just don't cut the mustard.

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

I don't know about the home versions of Office 365 but the business versions are being revised soon and will only include Office Standard in the entry level subscriptions (so no Access). You'll need one of the Enterprise subs to get Pro Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Another benefit of the subscription service is that you will get any new versions that might be released while you are subscribed. MS seem to be moving to a more rapid release schedule so this should pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ressem wrote: »
    Also, the cheaper subscription plans of Office 365 are Web only, i.e they run in a web browser, require a good quality connection to the internet (of little use when on the train / 3G / out in the country) and have limited functionality, e.g no excel macros.

link to these cheaper plans? I only see 365 Home (standard) and 365 personal. Personal is the same as home, but for 1 PC/Mac + 1 iPad/Windows Tablet not 5+5.

365 Personal give you installable, offline, full versions of the office programs.

Overheal wrote: »
    link to these cheaper plans? I only see 365 Home (standard) and 365 personal. Personal is the same as home, but for 1 PC/Mac + 1 iPad/Windows Tablet not 5+5.

365 Personal give you installable, offline, full versions of the office programs.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/products/compare-microsoft-office-products-FX104165233.aspx?WT%2Emc_id=PS_Google_O365Shared-brand_office365_text&WT%2Eintid1=ODC_ENIE_FX010064710_XT104187042

Office online seems to be the one he's talking about.

• Advertisement

thats a free package that is part of OneDrive's functionality, I wouldn't really consider it an alternative to Office 2007 to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Overheal wrote: »

Office 365 Business Essentials and Office 365 E1 were the plans that I had in mind, (having had to assess and rule them out when throwing out a SBS2003 server recently).

Whiplashy mightn't be a home user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

I'd rather download "open office" for free or use the free office with your hotmail account in skydrive than pay Microsoft for it!

Meh. Open Office drives me kinda batty, the UI feels dated as all hell and in every professional setting I've been in, MS Office has always been the provided standard so I don't see the need to learn two different programs for the same task. If you want free then go for it though. You do you. The only time I needed Open Office was to write the resume for my first job, since then I've always had MS Office for free anyway, as a twist in irony.

Advertisement