Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a musical instrument shop

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. Thinking of opening a music shop selling instruments, mostly guitars. Do music shops do well these days? I dont have any research done but just wondering in general if any one knows? It would be in a large town with one there already but its pretty small

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Hi. Thinking of opening a music shop selling instruments, mostly guitars. Do music shops do well these days? I dont have any research done but just wondering in general if any one knows? It would be in a large town with one there already but its pretty small

Do you think you could compete with Thomann?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mahonsurfer

Just wondering with the online market these days would it be worth it?

No idea.Do you recon it would be a big risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

There were two in Navan for a while...and then there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you want to go into retail, think about what would sell. Not what you're interested in selling. Since the boom days, X-music have given up half their floor space. I personally know one well established shop owner in DCC who had to let his staff go and is working a seven day week solo to keep the shop going.

The markup on cheap instruments is SFA. The Irish market is too small to make it worth a shop's while keeping an interesting range of high end stock. Your average punter looking for a beginner guitar for their kid will go to Walton's, because that's "the music shop".

I'd be a potential customer, but I wouldn't buy from you. It's nothing personal. I just know that if I wanted a new pro standard guitar, for example, I'd find a better selection in NY. I'd find it there at half the price you could afford to sell it to me for, And I'd have a weekend in NY as a bonus!

Retail, maybe. Why not... Instruments, no. The numbers just don't add up any more.

• Advertisement

I want to start up my own business..Just dont have a clue what in! Have a surf school but its just for the summers, so have a feel for running a buisnessany ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I want to start up my own business..Just dont have a clue what in! Have a surf school but its just for the summers, so have a feel for running a buisnessany ideas?
    If I'd any ideas I'd start one meself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

DVD rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Music shop.. I'm not sure. There used to be one in my town and its a fairly big town and it went. And in Cork City there is only one proper one I can think of and that does good business. I would look on getting a deal with R.I.A.M (Royal Irish Academy of Music.) and see if you can sell those books as they cost a fortune. I recently bought my grade 8 (highest grade) book for piano and it was 30 something euro! for a few sheets of music. I say there is a nice mark up there. Also maybe second hand scores of pop music as nobody can afford those new books up to fifty euro! Good luck! :)

Advertisement