Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating enough good food

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so be kind! I have, I would say, consumed meat only about 3/4 times in the past 6 months. Prior to that it was once a week and even less! I just don't like it and I get repulsed when I think too much about how animals were reared and killed.

However I'm binging on junk food a lot of evenings and I believe it's because I'm not eating enough quality foods during the day. Although it's rare that I feel hungry. However I do run, anywhere between 10 and 50k a week and I wonder if I'm getting enough protein in my diet.

I eat soups, salads with legumes, loads of fruit and vegetables and two eggs most days. Of an evening I could easily put away 2/3 chocolate bars and a large bag of sweets! Any advise on improvements? I'm not trying to lose weight but I would love to decrease the amount of sugary rubbish!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I find the less rubbish I eat, the less I crave it. All the foods we tend to like, like sugar and even dairy like cheese, those are the most addictive. So I don't think there's anything to do but to 'wean' yourself off them, it will take a while but then your cravings will drop. I notice that for myself anyway. Less availability for vegans does make it a bit easier I guess :D Maybe just have less of those sweet things for a while, remind yourself that you will crave them for a while, but your taste will adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

lachin wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum so be kind! I have, I would say, consumed meat only about 3/4 times in the past 6 months. Prior to that it was once a week and even less! I just don't like it and I get repulsed when I think too much about how animals were reared and killed.

However I'm binging on junk food a lot of evenings and I believe it's because I'm not eating enough quality foods during the day. Although it's rare that I feel hungry. However I do run, anywhere between 10 and 50k a week and I wonder if I'm getting enough protein in my diet.

I eat soups, salads with legumes, loads of fruit and vegetables and two eggs most days. Of an evening I could easily put away 2/3 chocolate bars and a large bag of sweets! Any advise on improvements? I'm not trying to lose weight but I would love to decrease the amount of sugary rubbish!

If it's sweets you're carving most, I would suggest maybe try to start baking youself?
    It will contain less sugar than anything shop-bought, well as long as you stay away from the buttercreams and the like ;)

Or maybe make yourself a good batch of granola to snack on? You'd be getting some sugar, but also lots of good nutrition from the fruits and nuts you can put in. Let me know if you'd want a recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I'm currently on a food spend challenge and nonsense food had to be eliminated. As Los mentioned above, the less you snack, the less you want it. I went from heavy snacker to 0 (yes, zero) snacks and lost my appetite. Was very odd and am only now recovering to something near normal.

Sugary fatty foods are designed to make you eat more. You are a customer and they want you to be hooked. Stop eating them and within a few days you won't want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

lachin wrote: »
    Hi,

Try healthier snacking - nuts, kale crisps, baked stuff as someone else suggested. With the running you should be getting more protein, eg quinoa, amaranth, tofu, tempeh, kale (nice in a smoothie with beetroot, carrot, banana, pineapple) and maybe some hemp protein? Have a look at web articles by/about people like Scott Jurek, Brendan Brazier or Rich Roll - all vegan endurance athletes (Jurek is an ultra-marathoner who credits a raw vegan diet for some of his success).

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

I think a lot of it is down to bad habits so I am aiming this week to quit sugar, as in all added/processed sugars. I will never give up my fruit!

I will also bulk up my main meals with more salad/veg and perhaps might try adding in some seeds/nuts.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

I kind of have the same problem since cutting out fish in January, its not that I'm craving sweets per se just that I use them to fill the hole that I can feel, I'm never completely satisfied after a meal :( unless I pig out on a pizza -_-

I rarely ate junk food when I was a carnivore but now I do pretty much every day

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

I found cutting out gluten stops hunger and wheat free muslie from tesco and flax seed in the moring keeps me happy / lunch is rice cakes and hummous and olives and salad and homemade soup ~ i find fry all veg and garlic usually peppers brocoli and carrotts and courgettes in a little butter and add hot veg stock , simmer for 15 min then blend at i use this over 2 to 3 days stored in a covered bowl at end of fridge keeps its fresh and a handy and quick food when hungry ~ hand blenders are chaep in tesco ~ then in evening i munch on brazil nuts and nuts and seeds stops craving cause your getting oils and a little dark choc is nice too which has anti oxidents ~ aldi are great for all this ~ i try not eat junk oh and drink filtered water with lemon juice and herbal teas also and im carefull with dairy and it can block and slow me down ~ get calcium out of veg and nuts
    i try to stay away from vegi processed stodge

raydar wrote: »
    I found cutting out gluten stops hunger and wheat free muslie from tesco and flax seed in the moring keeps me happy / lunch is rice cakes and hummous and olives and salad and homemade soup ~ i find fry all veg and garlic usually peppers brocoli and carrotts and courgettes in a little butter and add hot veg stock , simmer for 15 min then blend at i use this over 2 to 3 days stored in a covered bowl at end of fridge keeps its fresh and a handy and quick food when hungry ~ hand blenders are chaep in tesco ~ then in evening i munch on brazil nuts and nuts and seeds stops craving cause your getting oils and a little dark choc is nice too which has anti oxidents ~ aldi are great for all this ~ i try not eat junk oh and drink filtered water with lemon juice and herbal teas also and im carefull with dairy and it can block and slow me down ~ get calcium out of veg and nuts
    i try to stay away from vegi processed stodge

I've just gone gluten free myself (I think I've had an intolerance all my life) but am finding it super hard being veggie too, currently my diet us 90% cadburys :o

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

You could plan on introducing small changes and a notebook too to log postive changes that will keep you going , i tell you this , i had wheat bread this week after months of going wheat free and suddenly i noticed a huge drop in energy levels and i became angry and anxious and i developed a lower back problem and neck and jaw stiffness and limpimg ~ pain was awfull ~ now its all gone because im back to a gluten free eating plan ~ that shows the natural law within the balance of health becomes disrupted from these intolerances and my hair is shinning and skin ph looks good too so eat well, feel well, look well, think well oh and sleeping well is taking me a long time with the sleeping one

You might have an intolerance to Cadburys chocolate or you might be lacking in a vitamn or mineral which leads me to believe that Chromium which is a trace mineral can reduce chocolate cravings ~ health food shops have it

why not try rice cakes with almond butter and a little sugar free jam and herbal tea
    I no with dietary changes the palete slowly ajusts ~ i cant eat salt that much any more which i used to crave , yes i found the cravings really hard but it was like a build up of events that lead to an outcome ~ your changing a very long habit but the reward in wellness is great
    i must say its been a journey exploring and recovering a balance of natuaral health and peace
    another thing i find is clearing the presses of junk ~ first big step

raydar wrote: »
    You could plan on introducing small changes and a notebook too to log postive changes that will keep you going , i tell you this , i had wheat bread this week after months of going wheat free and suddenly i noticed a huge drop in energy levels and i became angry and anxious and i developed a lower back problem and neck and jaw stiffness and limpimg ~ pain was awfull ~ now its all gone because im back to a gluten free eating plan ~ that shows the natural law within the balance of health becomes disrupted from these intolerances and my hair is shinning and skin ph looks good too so eat well, feel well, look well, think well oh and sleeping well is taking me a long time with the sleeping one

You might have an intolerance to Cadburys chocolate or you might be lacking in a vitamn or mineral which leads me to believe that Chromium which is a trace mineral can reduce chocolate cravings ~ health food shops have it

why not try rice cakes with almond butter and a little sugar free jam and herbal tea
    I no with dietary changes the palete slowly ajusts ~ i cant eat salt that much any more which i used to crave , yes i found the cravings really hard but it was like a build up of events that lead to an outcome ~ your changing a very long habit but the reward in wellness is great
    i must say its been a journey exploring and recovering a balance of natuaral health and peace
    another thing i find is clearing the presses of junk ~ first big step

I'm actually feeling much better despite so much chocolate! I too tested myself last weekend by ordering a big pizza and garlic bread the next day and I ended up spending the whole weekend in bed haha, Its crazy how drowsy I get from gluten (getting out of bed in the morning was 10 times harder than it is now) and I've had it for quite a while. I used to think I was diabetic, just knew something wasnt right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Gluten is fine unless you're coeliac. The notion of non-coeliac gluten sensitivity was debunked by the very person who originally suggested it. Non-coeliacs who experience bloating from eating wheat are might have IBS and might look into the low fodmap diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Hide the sweet stuff away or just dont buy it..I pig out on savoury food but like yourself I run alot 4-5 times a week so I dont feel too bad. My protein intake is low, I must admit I'm gone scrawny looking and I hate doing weights..

Advertisement