Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anybody any links to Tunisia?

• 18-09-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Sorry mods if wrong place.

My friends mother was on holiday in Tunisia for 2 weeks. She was supposed to be home Saturday but never called and nobody has heard from her since Thursday last week.

She hasn't got enough money to last her and is also on tablets for her liver which she only had a 2 week supply of.

We got in contact with the hotel who said she left a note, so we got the note emailed to us. It was in her handwriting but it was in broken English as if someone foreign had wrote it.

She checked out of the hotel but never got on her transport to the airport.

She was in hammamet, Tunisia. If anyone has any links or contacts in Tunisia it would be greatly appreciated for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Did she get on the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Have you contacted the Guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Eh, phone the guards. That sounds awful dodgy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Irish Embassy or Consulate?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

What did the note say?

I'm not asking for personal information btw, just wondering if it gave some sort of explanation?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Seriously contact the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Don't look for some randomer to do it go through the embassy and the authorities over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Guards have been notified who in turn have notified Interpol/all relevant authorities.

And the note said :

This John smith....I not go transport and I'm OK.

Its along those lines in broken English.

I'm just trying everything and I know boards reaches far and wide so why not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Maybe she eloped with a young Tunisian lover ?

This is a genuine thing btw, it happens!

Luke92 wrote: »
    Guards have been notified who in turn have notified Interpol/all relevant authorities.

And the note said :

But you said it was in her handwriting?!

Just putting it out there...maybe she met a fella?

• Advertisement

Maybe she eloped with a young Tunisian lover ?

This is a genuine thing btw, it happens!

Yeah she goes a couple times a year so I was thinking that was the case. But she was abandoned as a child so I highly doubt she would do this to her own children.

She always rings and has before stayed another week but has called ahead and confirmed this. She was in contact through phone and the last phone contact was Thursday last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Chucken wrote: »

Yeah thought the same.

It does sound dodgy though, no call, text etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

And the note said :

no harm in trying I suppose....though it doesn't sound good...if is running out of medication.....have ye tried travelling out to try find her like

Chucken wrote: »

It looks like someone tried to write like her. Not exactly her hand writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We do not have an embassy in this country however you can contact the Irish Embassy, Consulate General or Honorary Consulate listed below

Tunisia Honorary Consul
    Mr. Moncef Mzabi
    Honorary Consul of Ireland
    39 Avenue Kheireddine Pacha
    Tunis
    Tunisia

Tel: +216 71 188 793
    Fax: +216 71 188 739
    E-mail: hon-consul-irelandtunis@planet.tn
    Assistant: Mrs. Latifa Bamri

Postal address:
    Honorary Consul of Ireland,
    Dalmas 1,
    Rue Laroussi Haddad
    Z.I. Sidi Rezig
    2033 Tunis
    Tunisia

Maybe of some help, hope she is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Why isn't this on the news? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It sounds very sinister to me. It sounds like she wrote the note under duress, so possibly wrote it in broken English to clue the reader in that all was not OK.

Have emailed the hon consulate email for Tunisia. Hopefully we hear back soon.

And haven't a clue why its not on the news. She is missing from the hotel since Saturday and last contact with family was Thursday.

She has 2 phones with chargers. One Samsung and the other an old Nokia. Both phones are off and Viber or what's app hasn't been active nearly a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Why would they get her to write it in her own handwriting and say "This John Smith"? Makes no sense.

I find it very strange that any hotel would notice or keep a note left in a hotel bedroom when someone checks out.

• Advertisement

sadie06 wrote: »
    It sounds very sinister to me. It sounds like she wrote the note under duress, so possibly wrote it in broken English to clue the reader in that all was not OK.

That's what I was thinking. Someone telling her what to write and her under so much duress wrote exactly what they said.

She checked out with all her bags but never got on a plane or bus transfer. Very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Has the hotel got cctv

Specialun wrote: »
    Has the hotel got cctv

Some contact with hotel but not very helpful. Going by trip advisor comments and ratings its not the nicest hotel! We're contacting everyone possible and just hoping for some information really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

OP you could contact the media, it may help to generate awareness. But you may want to consider not divulging any more information here on Boards.

People would genuinely want to help you and will but if this becomes an investigation, well it's complicated stuff, and the Gardai might not be impressed.

That said, I sincerely hope it does not become an investigation and she shows up soon.

Some contact with hotel but not very helpful. Going by trip advisor comments and ratings its not the nicest hotel! We're contacting everyone possible and just hoping for some information really.

What about the travel company? Other people on the same trip might be able to shed some light?

What age lady are we talking about?

I know it's the British embassy but they might be of help somehow, worth a try.

Out-of-hours emergency assistance
    British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call 00216 71 108 700 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact the Global Response Centre if needed.

DK man wrote: »
    I can't imagine why this is not all over the media! A young boy supposedly goes missing in Wexford and it's all over the news an elderly woman goes missing in Tunisia and it's well just on boards? Hard to take seriously

He hasn't told us her age yet ;)

She's in her 40s and at the moment I don't know why its not all over the media. The guards have her picture and have handed all relevant information to Interpol and other organisations. I'm just trying the internet for my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Does she have facebook? If she was there many times before she probably has Tunisian friends on there you could contact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

I'll leave it open for now though I'm struggling for a reason to do so. Contact the authorities, all of them, and provide them with as much info as possible. Realistically there's not much that can be done here bar support.

Deleting all the crap.

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's no one on the Garda or Interpol missing persons list that matches that description so either the Gardaí/Interpol haven't done their jobs or the story's bull****.

If this is true, someone from your friend's family should go to Hammamet immediately and contact the local police or hire a private investigator. Someone needs to ask the hotel some questions and check out the CCTV to find out more about the note and work out how she left the hotel and hopefully figure out where she went from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Luke 92, I'm very familiar with Hammamet, have stayed in several hotels there over the years and have 2 contacts. Can you PM me her name and hotel? Perhaps I might hear something.

Any news OP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It's not in the media because she is an adult and there is no evidence that she has come to any harm. Adults go missing all the time. About 4,000 people go missing in Ireland every year, most of whom turn up thankfully. Only a fraction of adults are ever reported on, and only then if foul play is strongly suspected, or if the person is known to be a risk to themselves or others.

I hope you get news soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

This has probably been posted but you REALLY need to contact these...........

Diplomatic and Consular Information for Tunisia

We do not have an embassy in this country however you can contact the Irish Embassy, Consulate General or Honorary Consulate listed below

Diplomatic and Consular Information for Spain

Embassy of Ireland
    Ireland House
    Paseo de la Castellana 46-4
    28046 Madrid
    Spain

Tel: +34 91 436 4093 / Visa Phone Line: +34 91 431 9784

Fax: +34 91 435 1677

Email: Submit your query

Tunisia Honorary Consul

Mr. Moncef Mzabi
    Honorary Consul of Ireland
    39 Avenue Kheireddine Pacha
    Tunis
    Tunisia

Tel: +216 71 188 793
    Fax: +216 71 188 739
    E-mail: hon-consul-irelandtunis@planet.tn

Assistant: Mrs. Latifa Bamri

Postal address:
    Honorary Consul of Ireland,
    Dalmas 1,
    Rue Laroussi Haddad
    Z.I. Sidi Rezig
    2033 Tunis
    Tunisia

• Advertisement

No news as of yet and have already contacted those embassy contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

No news as of yet and have already contacted those embassy contacts.[/quote

Any news or updates on this thread. There doesn't appear to be any news in the media either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    No news as of yet and have already contacted those embassy contacts.[/quote

Any news or updates on this thread. There doesn't appear to be any news in the media either.

That's a whole nother thread. I blame Rupert Murdoch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Anything ever come of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Anything ever come of this?

The OP's been active since and hasn't bothered updating the thread. A bit unusual really after coming here looking for peoples help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dmc17 wrote: »
    The OP's been active since and hasn't bothered updating the thread. A bit unusual really after coming here looking for peoples help.

Yes AH really is the place for genuine threads requiring help, huge stink of BS from the first post on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A Google search for 'missing Irish woman Tunisia' brings up nothing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

kylith wrote: »
    A Google search for 'missing Irish woman Tunisia' brings up nothing.

Well in fairness if it was that easy to find her this wouln't have made it past page one.

Advertisement