Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Towing Devices

Options
  • 18-09-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I worked in the motor trade for many years and used various different devices for moving cars - tow dollys, tow boys, car ambulances, car transporters..

In recent months I've added two vintage/classic towing devices to my collection. A 1930's-era Car Ambulance and a 1950's-era Harvey Frost Mk1 Tow Boy (see attached pics).

Anybody else recall using these towing devices in years gone by?

(Incidentially I'm seeking a few parts for the Tow Boy if anybody knows of one scrapped anywhere..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

haven't seen any of them in a while !
    might be one of them tow boys down behind pratts garage in Carlow on the hackestown road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Wow, I'd forgotten those. Many years since I saw either "in the flesh".

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

good idea to collect them...not at all anoraky :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Hey..we all have our 'anorayks' to bear in this life!:D

They are part of my automobilia collection. I plan on giving them a lick of paint someday and displaying them behind a period landrover (or similar) 'tow-car' at vintage shows. Something a bit different from the usual capris, cortinas etc ;):D

@ manta mad: Thanks for the info about Pratts. I'm rarely over that way these days though. If you're passing there someday perhaps you could have a look (get a pic?) for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Not anoraky I said....but if the Parka fits...... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

There's a few ex garage Series Land Rovers with Harvey Frost recovery cranes been restored in the UK, need one of them for your collection!

7048-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks for the pic 101sean..I've seen that one before online.
    Maybe I'll get one ...someday!:D

Advertisement