Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

hannnah98 wrote: »
    Is everyone learning off an essay for the composition in paper 1??? All my friends have and I am freaking out!!! I plan on doing the personal essay if the titles aren't horrid. But I don't think you can go in with a personal essay learnt off apart from having a few anecdote's and ideas in mind. Am I the only one going in blind ?

Learning off the essay is nuts, If you do the P will suffer.
    So no you're not the only one going in blind, you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Is everyone learning off an essay for the composition in paper 1??? All my friends have and I am freaking out!!! I plan on doing the personal essay if the titles aren't horrid. But I don't think you can go in with a personal essay learnt off apart from having a few anecdote's and ideas in mind. Am I the only one going in blind ?

I usually do the article and never go in with a clue what to write. I prefer to see the titles and think then rather than stress myself trying to fit in something I had learned off. It flows better that way too, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

I have nothing either and in the mock I got a B1, while friends who had learned off their A1 essays didn't get anywhere near the grade they were looking for!
    I just know the layout & writing techniques for each task :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

How is anyone preparing for paper one tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I've decided I'll be a bit mad and do Plath as my 5th poet.

She came up the last three years, but she's my favourite and at least it'll give me peace of mind going into the exam that I've 5 learned somewhat well, rather than fitting in hardy whom I don't know high up or low down.

Is that the correct usage of whom?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 andreideeu

Every year at least 1 Irish poet comes up, so Montague or EileanNiC will come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Just a little tip...

No poet is likely to come up more than others. They all have an equal chance of appearing on the paper. It doesn't matter if the poet isn't on the course next year or hasn't been on since 2006.

Atleast cover 5, so you're covered 100%.

andreideeu wrote: »
    Every year at least 1 Irish poet comes up, so Montague or EileanNiC will come up

Or Yeats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I can't stand Ní Chuileanáin's stuff, so my logic is if she comes up (which she seems likely to) there'll be at least one other Irish or one other woman so I'm learning Montague, Yeats, Plath and Dickinson. I have some clue of Frost as a safety. I have a feeling Yeats might come up because people dismiss him as coming up a lot but it is is 150th birthday and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Montague if you happen to be reading ill donate 50 euro to the charity of your choice if you come up on Thursday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

johnROSS wrote: »
    I can't stand Ní Chuileanáin's stuff, so my logic is if she comes up (which she seems likely to) there'll be at least one other Irish or one other woman so I'm learning Montague, Yeats, Plath and Dickinson. I have some clue of Frost as a safety. I have a feeling Yeats might come up because people dismiss him as coming up a lot but it is is 150th birthday and whatnot.
    I'm doing the same minus frost, but I'll go over ni chuileanain just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

Do we need a title for the composition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sorcha_c

ni chilleanain
    frost
    yeats
    dickinson
    plath
    I'm only studying the top three doubth plath or dickinson are going to come up
    andreideeu wrote: »

yeats is also Irish and its his 150th birthday this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cheekynandos

for the comparative we did literary genre and general vision and viewpoint, does anyone know which one is more then likely gonna come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

for the comparative we did literary genre and general vision and viewpoint, does anyone know which one is more then likely gonna come up?

Literary genre

• Registered Users Posts: 9 papaoutai

For the paper one essay, I have prepared the following;

Homelessness
    Unequal world
    Education
    Ebola
    Taxation

I hope to do an article or speech. I know there are no patterns and it's very hard to predict, but I was wondering has anyone any other ideas etc.? Thanks!

papaoutai wrote: »
    For the paper one essay, I have prepared the following;

Homelessness
    Unequal world
    Education
    Ebola
    Taxation

I hope to do an article or speech. I know there are no patterns and it's very hard to predict, but I was wondering has anyone any other ideas etc.? Thanks!

No way in hell is write an essay/speech/article about Ebola going to come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 papaoutai

OMGeary wrote: »
    No way in hell is write an essay/speech/article about Ebola going to come up!

I understand that but it ties in nicely with world problems/unequal world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Anyone know any decent website for answerinh comprehensions i have a problem getting top marks in these but composition is grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I know this is a REALLY stupid question but its what messed me up in the mocks-
    A personal essay has to be personal right? Like if theres dialogue then its a short story,
    if its about failing a leaving cert then its not a personal essay because its not about me because
    Im in the middle of the LC writing it in paper 1?? But I read a personal essay always has to have
    a resolution at the end like where the author comes to a conclusion about the topic but
    I did a personal essay on failing LC and how it was day I got my reults and I was cooped up in
    my room for weeks and then I was like Now its all better, im going to repeat its not the be all and end
    all and etc etc and my teacher said it wasn't a personal essay?
    If the titles tomorrow aren't favourable towards a short story then I'll do a personal essay but I need
    it clear in my head the difference..please help :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Becca96

I have Ni Chuilleanain, Hardy, Dickinson and Donne covered. Should I do Montague as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

I know this is a REALLY stupid question but its what messed me up in the mocks-
    A personal essay has to be personal right? Like if theres dialogue then its a short story,
    if its about failing a leaving cert then its not a personal essay because its not about me because
    Im in the middle of the LC writing it in paper 1?? But I read a personal essay always has to have
    a resolution at the end like where the author comes to a conclusion about the topic but
    I did a personal essay on failing LC and how it was day I got my reults and I was cooped up in
    my room for weeks and then I was like Now its all better, im going to repeat its not the be all and end
    all and etc etc and my teacher said it wasn't a personal essay?
    If the titles tomorrow aren't favourable towards a short story then I'll do a personal essay but I need
    it clear in my head the difference..please help :(

A personal essay shouldn't really have a plot. A few small stories and anecdotes thrown in to illustrate a point are fine but there shouldn't be a definite storyline, i.e. you failing the LC and how you dealt with it.

A personal essay should include more opinions and feelings, for example if an essay came up about the leaving cert you could write about the effects of stress on students, why you think it's unfair, what countries have a better system etc. There's no story there just your opinions. You could put in small anecdotes about a time you were stressed or something along the lines of ''I remember when such and such happened (tell story briefly but then go back to your current opinion). I don't want others to feel the same way so this is why the system needs changing.'' You're using the small anecdote to illustrate an opinion, it's not the focus of your whole essay.

That's my understanding of it, I hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clarebear15

Anyone kindly email me an essay on John montegue pleaseeeeeeeeee I'll be forever thankful!! Pm me and I'll give you my email :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

Hey, If you learnt the three female poets:

Emily Dickinson
    Eilean Ni Chuilleanain
    Sylvia Plath

Would you be covered? I haven't studied anything for poetry so you know?...Cutting corners where I can xD

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

How does an an examiner recognise an A1 personal essay?
    And what humorous things could someone out in? Example?

Broseph wrote: »
    How does an an examiner recognise an A1 personal essay?
    And what humorous things could someone out in? Example?

If you're not funny don't go there! But humours anecdotes that relate to the question go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 matii10

Lads, if I know Frost, Hardy and Yeats, what other poet should I study? Since Plath came up the past 2 papers, I was thinking of doing Dickinson (don't really know Donne, Monty and EnC). Would you say it'll be safe to learn those 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

is anyone able to break down paper2 time wise for me?

Deranged96 wrote: »
    If you're not funny don't go there! But humours anecdotes that relate to the question go down well.

Would you know of an example of a humorous anecdote? Or any anecdotes at all everything helps.

• Advertisement

darraghq52 wrote: »
    is anyone able to break down paper2 time wise for me?

1 mark = 1 minute

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement