Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

OMGeary wrote: »
    1 mark = 1 minute

170 minutes and 200 marks in the exam though?

Does anyone know the traits to look for of the 5 writing styles in the comprehensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NeonNatural

Hey, If you learnt the three female poets:

Emily Dickinson
    Eilean Ni Chuilleanain
    Sylvia Plath

Would you be covered? I haven't studied anything for poetry so you know?...Cutting corners where I can xD

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Thats what i am doing, every year a female poet will HAVE to come up its not a must but other wise the femenazis (which is most of the english teachers) will lose their ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

In the comprehensions I was thought 15m so 3 clear points and 20m = 4 points

Some people say 15m is 4 points and 20m is 5 points

What are ye doing and which is best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

would yeats be considered easy?

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »

Not the easiest one, Frost and Montague would be the easiest depends on what you've studied most. If you've done nothing then those two

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Elemonator wrote: »

i would say the easiest poet would be your favorite if yeats is your favorite then he will be the easiest same applies to all poets

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Plath was on the last two years, so she's out. Dickinson was on last year too, so it's unlikely that she'll come up. That leaves Ni Chuilleanain as the only female poet, and considering she's an Irish poet it means Yeats is less likely to come up, also considering he has been asked many times and appeared last year too. That leaves Donne, Frost, Hardy and Montague as likely candidates. Hardy was last asked in 2006, so him and Frost are my choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 jameshan

anyone else kinda stuck for how they're supposed to prepare for English Paper 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

What would be the 2 favorite of GV+V, Theme or Issue or Litery Genre to come up on Thursday.. Anyone do any research .. please reply would mean alot :)

• Advertisement

jbsbfass wrote: »
    What would be the 2 favorite of GV+V, Theme or Issue or Litery Genre to come up on Thursday.. Anyone do any research .. please reply would mean alot :)

Theme and issue and Literary Genre seem like the two most likely. What memories are people using for the personal essay? First day at school etc

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Do examiners dislike romantic short stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antifun

10 minutes for reading.
    40 minutes for A.
    40 minutes for B.
    80 minutes for composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

jameshan wrote: »
    anyone else kinda stuck for how they're supposed to prepare for English Paper 1??

indeed, just reading sample answers on e-examit but there dont seem full answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Just wondering if someone could let me know the recommended lengths to be written for each question.I know it's quality over quantity,etc,etc but just a ball park figure,relative to an A4 page.I've always adhered to roughly half an A4 for every 5 marks.Would this be enough/too much ?

RoRo979 wrote: »
    indeed, just reading sample answers on e-examit but there dont seem full answers.

What stories/events are ye going to use for the personal essay? Important events that have a significance in our lives?
    Recoil12 wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone could let me know the recommended lengths to be written for each question.I know it's quality over quantity,etc,etc but just a ball park figure,relative to an A4 page.I've always adhered to roughly half an A4 for every 5 marks.Would this be enough/too much ?

Yeah for the comprehension fifteen marks is just under a page and 20 is a page and a bit.
    The essay is 4-5 pages and the Q1B is 2 and a quarter pages.
    Recoil12 wrote: »

Yeah for the comprehension fifteen marks is just under a page and 20 is a page and a bit.
    The essay is 4-5 pages and the Q1B is 2 and a quarter pages.
    EDIT: and they're the lengths an A student would use also.

Broseph wrote: »
    What stories/events are ye going to use for the personal essay? Important events that have a significance in our lives?

not even gonna touch the personal essay - speech all the way.
    That being said if you were gonna have a few memories thought about: surely it would be first day of school, when you met you're friends, learning something new, happy memory etc. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

oktplz wrote: »
    Do examiners dislike romantic short stories?

Fairly sure examiners are people like any other denomination, and so don't all like or dislike the same thing.

And they'll be critising you're writing style and techniques, not genre. Once the plot makes sense and isn't convoluted an examiner can't fault you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samg1813

darraghq52 wrote: »
    is anyone able to break down paper2 time wise for me?

It goes by the marks allocated for the questions really, so 70 mins for the comparative because its work 70 marks, and so on (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

That being said if you were gonna have a few memories thought about: surely it would be first day of school, when you met you're friends, learning something new, happy memory etc. ?

It completely depends on the title. I've fitted in anecdotes about a funny incident in class, the world cup, my grandfather and all sorts of different things. I'll probably end up using something completely different tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Epicfish

Does anyone have high hopes for Yeats coming up?

I personally have studied Frost, Donne, and Hardy in good detail, but a friend is focused purely on Yeats and I'd hate to see it all go wrong for the lad at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

15 marks - 3/4
    20 marks - 1 page
    Essay 3-4 pages
    Question B - No more than two pages

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Epicfish wrote: »

I personally have studied Frost, Donne, and Hardy in good detail, but a friend is focused purely on Yeats and I'd hate to see it all go wrong for the lad at the first hurdle.

Yeats was on the paper last year, as well as being on it numerous times before. The only possibility that he could come up, in my opinion, is that it's his 150th birthday this year.

Personally, I don't think he'll come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Event_horizon

Well the thing is, it's likely he will come up because it's his 150th birthday anniversary - although it's a dodgy one because he has come up quite a few times in the past. I would do 5 poets really well - Yeats, NiChuilleanain, Hardy, Frost, Montague. They'd be smart choices I think because of that 150 year anniversary for Yeats, NiChuilleanain is new AND female so I'm 90% sure she will come up, Hardy and Frost haven't come up in a while either - you get the idea.

I didn't study Yeats or Donne because I simply can't stand them and I can't engage with their poetry, so I did Dickinson, Plath, NiChuilleanain, Hardy, Montague and Frost (1 extra why not) xD But Yeats is kind of a gamble for sure :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah_97

For the speech, do u have any suggestions on what the motion might be?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Poll disappoints,
    No Atari jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

How do ye make stories so long? The most I've ever wrote is 3 pages and I can't see how to make them longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How do ye make stories so long? The most I've ever wrote is 3 pages and I can't see how to make them longer.

The paper one composition? 3 is grand, mine normally average out at 3-4 pages and the teacher never had a complaint about the length of them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 iago1

O no! He hasn't just done one! O please god let Yeats come up even just for his sake!!

• Advertisement

sarah_97 wrote: »
    For the speech, do u have any suggestions on what the motion might be?

Thanks

The mantra to stick by with English is Never Try to Predict.
    Even so, I don't recall a composition on climate change, maybe the mocks got it spot on with inequality/feminism. Those are only my ideas
    Yet it could be something completely radical none of us have considered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement