Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research study invitations

• 18-09-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread for this, so I hope it's ok to ask about it.

I keep getting research study invitations in my student email. What's the story with these? Has anyone in here ever replied to them or participated in a study? And what was that like? Free food?

I'm just wondering.... This is NOT for a class.

Is there some incentive for people to participate that I don't know about, or do people just do it for the craic? I certainly see the point of helping out with someone's research, but I'd find it a little weird contacting them back to tell them I'm interested. Do they get replies to the emails?

A lot of questions there, I know, but I'm really just interested in how these things work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I got three bounty bars answering some questionnaire a month ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Good to know. Is that normal?

Yeah they usually give some sweets, cake or chocolate for your troubles. Some may give out biros. Don't like chewing on a biro with my coffee :(

Biros are the reason I came to UL. The science and engineering department lured me in with the little flashy lights.....

If you are a guy don't reply back to answer questions on the use of oral contraception. That be weird

• Advertisement

Lel. Not a guy. Might show up to skew their data on weight. They give more food to the scrawny lab rats, do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Once went to a focus group type thing about perceptions of language that was advertised through one of those emails and got 20 euro!

Do they normally meet people on weekdays, or is it different in each case? I can't cash in this weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Perpetual Student

do reply if you meet the inclusion criteria!! it is usually PhD students needing participants and all replies are really appreciated. You might not get something all the time but its great experience to get involved and see what goes on researchqise around the campus. Those running the studies can also be a really useful source of advice on modules, courses, particular areas of interest etc.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Perpetual Student

and yes, they usually meet when suits you or within a particular period of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement