Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tracing adopted person with little information

Options
  • 18-09-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi, i'm new to this so really would appreciate any help you can give me.
    I'm trying to trace a sibling for my 2 daughters who are now in their 20's. Their father was from Dublin and sadly passed away in 2011. When he was 20 (1980) he was in a relationship with a woman in Dublin and when she fell pregnant due to difficult circumstances the decision was made to have the baby adopted.
    All i have is the year of birth, mother's first name and area of Dublin she was from, and the type of business her father had and the location.
    My daughters can register with the Adoption Authority of Ireland but i think they will need more information. As they don't know anything at the moment, I would like to try and gather as much detail as I can before I tell them.
    Any help you can give me to even get started would be appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Would any of his family/friends recall the birth mothers surname or where she lived at the time? It would be easier to look with a date of birth as if you are searching adoption records this is all people generally tend to have. With that there could still be a few girls born on that day who were adopted. I would suggest you contact the Adoption Rights Alliance - they have a Facebook page also - and see if they can come up with ideas to help. There are tracing guides to help find siblings though I would imagine knowing the date of birth would be a vital piece on information which would make it easier. However, there are ways and means so stick with it and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joaniep

thanks, i only have the mother's first name - he didn't come from a close family, none of them even knew about the adoption until after his death. I've tried a number of his friends to see if they can remember anything, his mother is still alive but she has Alzheimers so it's very difficult - but thanks for the info about the Adoption Rights Alliance, i'll check out their facebook page. Like you say, there are ways and means so i'll keep trying, thanks :)

still not so sure how to use this site, but maybe if i continue this thread it may lead to something.. i know the birth mother was called Anne, she was from the Sutton/Howth area as far as I know, and her father had a car dealership/garage or something similar in that area which closed in the 1990's i think. Maybe someone can tell me where I might find out about former businesses in the Howth/Sutton area? that might be a good place to start? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Joanie

Sh1t, I sound like a cheerleader for the AAI tonite but.....as it was 1988 there's a (fairly slim) chance that they have a record of the dads name and might be able to find the file that way. Otherwise you really would need either the childs or the birth mams full name or an exact date of birth, all three would be better obviously!

Anyway good luck with it.

Rins

rinsjwind wrote: »
    Hi Joanie

Sh1t, I sound like a cheerleader for the AAI tonite but.....as it was 1988 there's a (fairly slim) chance that they have a record of the dads name and might be able to find the file that way. Otherwise you really would need either the childs or the birth mams full name or an exact date of birth, all three would be better obviously!

Anyway good luck with it.

Rins

Thanks, sorry just realised I posted the wrong year, it should be 1980 but I expect the process is the same, I think it's time I told my daughter's as you need to be a direct relative of the adoptee before they will tell you anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Try the Motoring section here on Boards. Its in the Rec section. There was a thread running a while ago about people's memories of old and defunct motor dealers. If you had a list of names, perhaps the lady with Alzheimer's would recognise one of them, if she has lucid periods? Also, another poster recently informs that the National library has a set of phone books from the period. Hopefully they have a set of Golden Pages as well. A bit of longshot I suppose. Did the father play any sports, Golf or soccer or GAA ? , there has to be old comrades somewhere to ask. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Here's a link to the thread in the Classic Car forum about old car dealerships if you'd like to post there.
    As Nekarsulm says there are old phone books in the National Library which might help or Thom's Directory's - Pearse and Tallaght Libraries also have copies of these.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

joaniep wrote: »
    Thanks, sorry just realised I posted the wrong year, it should be 1980 but I expect the process is the same, I think it's time I told my daughter's as you need to be a direct relative of the adoptee before they will tell you anything

Hi again Joanie.

I'm assuming your girls are over 18? If so, they can join the AAI contact register in their own right as siblings of an adopted person. The lack of details will obviously still be a problem but the AAI have had all their files computerised so they might be able to narrow down the possibilities even with what you have.
    Its well worth a try, last figures I saw were around 7000 adoptees registered and only around 10% of them had been matched with one of the 3000 odd birth relatives registered so you never know, he might be sitting there waiting for you?

Cheers

Rins

thanks everyone, I wish I had posted on this earlier as you have given me so much to work with already, i'll post again when I have more info

• Registered Users Posts: 30 egav

Go to the G.R.O in dublin,using the d.o.b and first name then you can find birth certificate.it would more than likely have child's surname and mothers surname the same.possibly fathers name but highly unlikely.what is the childs d.o.b that you are looking for?my sis wad born July 1980 and adopted.

• Advertisement

egav wrote: »
    Go to the G.R.O in dublin,using the d.o.b and first name then you can find birth certificate.it would more than likely have child's surname and mothers surname the same.possibly fathers name but highly unlikely.what is the childs d.o.b that you are looking for?my sis wad born July 1980 and adopted.

Thanks, I don't know the Don just the year which makes it more difficult

Advertisement