Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5S upgrade to iOS8

• 19-09-2014 6:38am
    Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭

Did your iPhone 5S upgrade to iOS8?Just ordered an iPhone 5S 16GB, should I upgrate it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

All I can tell you is, I upgraded my iPad mini to iOS8 with no hassle. Which tells me the iPhone 5 should have no trouble. Be aware, you need 4.7GB free space to perform the upgrade, you get most of that back after it's complete.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

All I can tell you is, I upgraded my iPad mini to iOS8 with no hassle. Which tells me the iPhone 5 should have no trouble. Be aware, you need 4.7GB free space to perform the upgrade, you get most of that back after it's complete.

So I have to spare 4.7GB free space before upgradation, well,will the 4.7GB recovered after I finished it? You know it's only 16GB, and I got many apps and data in it:confused:

whiterebel wrote: »

do not find what i need there, but thanks:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Ibetit wrote: »
    do not find what i need there, but thanks:P

He's saying to post this thread in there. That's the specific forum for Apple devices.

( yes you get the space back).

• Advertisement

He's saying to post this thread in there. That's the specific forum for Apple devices.

( yes you get the space back).

Oh thanks, but I already posted here
    for the space coming back, that's great! I just worried about another thing, would it be any problem with my phone after upgrading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from mobiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

So I have to spare 4.7GB free space before upgradation, well,will the 4.7GB recovered after I finished it? You know it's only 16GB, and I got many apps and data in it:confused:

Yes, the space is available after the update.

If you have a Mac or a PC with iTunes, you can use that to update the phone. And it doesn't require much free space at all.

theothernt wrote: »
    Yes, the space is available after the update.

If you have a Mac or a PC with iTunes, you can use that to update the phone. And it doesn't require much free space at all.

Thanks theothernt, but how long it will take? Should I just connect it with my PC
    tonight and let it do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks theothernt, but how long it will take? Should I just connect it with my PC
    tonight and let it do this?
    how longs a piece of string? Depends on your internet speed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I have a 32gig Iphone 5S - and I upgraded last week to IOS 8 no problem, however its not been as simple since. Loads of weird glitches since Saturday, unable to rotate phone, apps crashing, browsing is super slow on Wifi but fine on 3G etc.

I'd recommend holding off on the upgrade until there is a fix.

OMG I guess I will wait until it's consummated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If you restore and set up as a new phone or do an iCloud restore you shouldn't see any of these issues. iOS has always been pretty bad at upgrading software from one to the next, but a fresh install normally works wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Upgraded recently on 5s.
    I think it may be eating battery more than before but maybe I've been using it more lately. Not sure tbh but I used to get a day and a half out of it and now I get barely a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

I can't do it on my 4s not enough space

This thread is about the 5s.
    But don't upgrade the 4s, it'll slow it down. I wrote about it here

Finally I Upgraded on my 5S, and it took about an hour. Everything just works fine till now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Yep, I upgraded my 5S a few days ago. I'll admit to being annoyed about the photos not being available to certain apps. I think I've noticed the battery draining faster. And I have had some issues connecting to 3G/4G and wifi. Generally, though, no issues at all. Hopefully 8.0.2 solves these issues.

On 802 now, so far so good.

Finally I upgraded it to ios8, took about one hour also. Everything just works fine until now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I posted on the ios8 thread but seeing as that this is a specific 5S >> ios8, ill throw it up here too....

Can you guys check if spotlight search on messages still works after the upgrade ?

Mine does not work on messages received before the upgrade. Viber has no such issues. I might set up as a new phone and restore from backup then.

Just checked, it's not working for me either.
    Spotlight search doesn't bring up SMS that I know has my search word.

biko wrote: »
    Out of interest Biko, I'm guessing it's working for SMS sent/received after update?

Yes, it searches texts after the update so I guess only new texts are indexed for searching.

Yes, it searches texts after the update so I guess only new texts are indexed for searching.

Was onto Apple this morning. The techs are aware of the issue as it's widespread and they are working on a fix in a later release. Time will tell.

upgraded to 8.02, lol works fine :D
    also get a day and a half out of the battery nothing changed

Just carried out a backup & restore on 8.0.2 and spotlight now back in action. Lets see if its a permanent fix !

Advertisement