Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House broken into, can we leave?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Our house was broken into lastnight and our car, along with other stuff, was robbed. Can we break our lease? I can't continue living here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, unfortunately this happens. Imagine if you had a mortgage on the house

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UnluckyInLuck

Well either way, we will be moving. But thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

to say "No" is ridiculous!! I was in the same position this time last year....Land Lord understood our position and allowed ua to break the lease without any penalty. Either way you can do whatever you want it's entirely your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I'm really sorry, this can be very traumatic. I would say mind yourself over the next few days, and don't make any rash decisions.
    Whilst being broken into is not a valid reason to terminate a lease, often a LL will allow you to. Is there any security measures the LL could put in place to make this less likely to happen again, and could offer you reassurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sorry to hear that OP, I hope you had insurance. Your landlord may be willing to cut you a deal but is under no legal obligation to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

neckedit wrote: »
    to say "No" is ridiculous!! I was in the same position this time last year....Land Lord understood our position and allowed ua to break the lease without any penalty. Either way you can do whatever you want it's entirely your call.

How is it ridiculous? You signed a fixed term contract. Complications can arise during any tenancy and this is something out of the landlords control. As someone else mentioned count yourself lucky that its not a mortgage and at least you can leave after one year.

Fol20 wrote: »
    How is it ridiculous? You signed a fixed term contract. Complications can arise during any tenancy and this is something out of the landlords control. As someone else mentioned count yourself lucky that its not a mortgage and at least you can leave after one year.

If the car was leased, would they break the lease because the car was broken into?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

neckedit wrote: »

To say no is not ridiculous its the correct response based on the OP's rights.

Nobody is saying that common sense via a discussion with the LL cannot prevail but its important to know your rights which the poster clearly set out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was the house/apartment secure to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we break our lease?
    No, at least not without compensating the landlord.

You can however assign the lease to a third party. the landlord can probably insist on the same criteria used when selecting you as a tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Do you have a neighbourhood watch? I just picked up motion sensor web cams that I can check remotley. If someone breaks in Ill have pictures. Only 60-70 a pop.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Seems well just have to break our lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Our house was broken into lastnight and our car, along with other stuff, was robbed. Can we break our lease? I can't continue living here

I know you were looking for advice specifically about breaking your lease, but if I may stray off topic a bit... do you perhaps think you might be too emotional given it was only last night? I'm sure it's very frightening, but maybe give it a couple of days? I presume you rented this place because you like it in some way - price, handy for work etc? You can be broken into anywhere, so I wouldn't necessarily give up the lease because of it. Could you look into getting the landlord to install an alarm, or identify any weaknesses that made it easier to break in and fix them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Sala wrote: »
    I know you were looking for advice specifically about breaking your lease, but if I may stray off topic a bit... do you perhaps think you might be too emotional given it was only last night? I'm sure it's very frightening, but maybe give it a couple of days? I presume you rented this place because you like it in some way - price, handy for work etc? You can be broken into anywhere, so I wouldn't necessarily give up the lease because of it. Could you look into getting the landlord to install an alarm, or identify any weaknesses that made it easier to break in and fix them?

I think this is the most positive and helpful comment in this thread. It is completely understandable that you would want to leave. However, given your options it might not be no bad idea to sleep on it for a night or two.

That said. If I knew the criminals were local or that you're still vulnerable then I'd be inclined to break the lease too.

Very sorry to hear of the upset and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

When someone breaks into your house, they have violated the place we are supposed to feel safest. It's natural to not be able to feel safe there again, but if you are trying to find a house in an area where there have been no break ins, then prepare for a very long search. Burglers are in most cases opportunists, they don't know you and have nothing against you, they spotted a house with no alarm, possibly old windows/doors which were easy to open. Instead of looking at moving, look at improving security, remember the chances of you being robbed a second time are virtually nil.

Regarding your lease, of course you can leave, but you will have to deal with whatever fall out ensues, lost deposit, no reference, payment for outstanding time on lease.

This break in has put the final nail in the coffin where this house is concerned. We moved into it quickly coz it was cheap, available and we had to move fast half way across the country. I wanted so desperately to move before this happened. This will just speed up the process

davo10 wrote: »
    remember the chances of you being robbed a second time are virtually nil.

This isn't technically true. I've heard stories of burglars who wait for people to get their insurance paid out and stuff replaced and rob them again.

After being robbed, you have to upgrade your security.

This break in has put the final nail in the coffin where this house is concerned. We moved into it quickly coz it was cheap, available and we had to move fast half way across the country. I wanted so desperately to move before this happened. This will just speed up the process

Have you spoken with the landlord yet? Try not to be emotional when discussing it and try not to assign blame to the landlord. If he feels defensive he may be less likely to cooperate. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This isn't technically true. I've heard stories of burglars who wait for people to get their insurance paid out and stuff replaced and rob them again.

Absolutely. They target people with new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Yep, I was burgled last year in a rented apartment, as was my neighbour across the hall. I found out when talking to my neighbour that it was the third time it had happened!

My lease was up and I'd been planning to leave anyway. But my landlord was a reasonable guy and I'm sure he would have allowed me to break my lease if I'd asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Yep, I was burgled last year in a rented apartment, as was my neighbour across the hall. I found out when talking to my neighbour that it was the third time it had happened!.
    Burglaries happen in clusters - the burglar(s) work out the security fault in one property (lane at rear, low gate, etc.) and then use that fault to target neighbouring properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

First of all I'm sorry to hear that your house was broken into. Now as others have said, legally speaking, unfortunately having your house broken into isn't valid grounds for breaking the lease but if your landlord is reasonable they should allow you to do so. The most important thing to do is to talk to the landlord and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Do you have a neighbourhood watch? I just picked up motion sensor web cams that I can check remotley. If someone breaks in Ill have pictures. Only 60-70 a pop.

Hi Potatoeman - Would you mind sharing where you got your camera, and which type? This seems like a good price for such cameras and I would be interested in getting a similar one.

OP - I would in general echo the opinions already given that moving because of a break in would not be advisable. You have the possibility of being broken into in almost any location.

I would advise looking carefully at security (alarms, cameras, door locks) no matter where you live.

However, it sounds like you want to move anyway. I wouldn't automatically expect the landlord to just give up the lease, and you will have to negociate.

Have you spoken with the landlord yet? Try not to be emotional when discussing it and try not to assign blame to the landlord. If he feels defensive he may be less likely to cooperate. Good luck.

I don't blame the landlord at all. My point was I hated this house to begin with and this has just made it unbearable to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Well either way, we will be moving. But thanks
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Seems well just have to break our lease.
    I don't blame the landlord at all. My point was I hated this house to begin with and this has just made it unbearable to live in.

Looks like you are using the break in as an excuse.

You have 2 choices - act in haste and with an attitude as you seem to display in the posts and run the risk of losing deposit and not getting references (these days references from landlords are extremely important)

or you can talk to the landlord and tell him/her that you don't feel safe due to the break in and would be grateful if they could allow you move.

Basically, good manners and politeness will get you an awful lot further than a rant and an attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi Potatoeman - Would you mind sharing where you got your camera, and which type? This seems like a good price for such cameras and I would be interested in getting a similar one.

OP - I would in general echo the opinions already given that moving because of a break in would not be advisable. You have the possibility of being broken into in almost any location.

I would advise looking carefully at security (alarms, cameras, door locks) no matter where you live.

However, it sounds like you want to move anyway. I wouldn't automatically expect the landlord to just give up the lease, and you will have to negociate.

Dcs-932l on amazon.co.uk. They are wireless and you can use a smartphone app to check live feeds. They have motion sensors so you set them up to mail you pictures. There is a youtube video with instructions for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

As an aside on those home security cams, don't forget to change the password on them or you can be watched in real time as you go about your business at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I am not speaking of rights and legalities......Im speaking from a point of view where a lease is not the be all and end all of this op's life. yes there maybe a penalty to pay, but Id pay it rather than stress about staying in a place I could never feel safe in. This time last year I was in the same boat, but after a calm conversation with the LL we walked away without penalty.....yes very lucky....but either way....we where walking.
    sorry for your trouble OP, I'd wish it on no one.

delahuntv wrote:
    Looks like you are using the break in as an excuse.

I asked for advice NOT your opinion.

• Advertisement

neckedit wrote:
    I am not speaking of rights and legalities......Im speaking from a point of view where a lease is not the be all and end all of this op's life. yes there maybe a penalty to pay, but Id pay it rather than stress about staying in a place I could never feel safe in. This time last year I was in the same boat, but after a calm conversation with the LL we walked away without penalty.....yes very lucky....but either way....we where walking. sorry for your trouble OP, I'd wish it on no one.

Thank you very much. Seems alot on this thread have no idea what we are going through as a family and I hope they never have to. Time to close my account on boards as it seems impossible to get advice anywhere on the site without people forcing an opinion along with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement