Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to pick Pears

• 19-09-2014 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

had my best ever year for pears but now at least half have fallen off.
    When should I be picking the ones hanging on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

It's my first year with anything resembling a crop after two and a half years so very happy!

I was advised to start picking them around now and that they will ripen in the fruit bowl/basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I'd suggest keeping them in the fridge and then ripening them as needed in a fruitbowl. If you put them all in a bowl they will all ripen together and you will have a glut of pears. I had a bumper crop this year also - Yum Yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I picked mine weeks ago here. I treat them like apples (rightly or wrongly i dunno), if they come off easy in the hand they are ready for picking, rinse and repeat.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

If a pear is allowed to fully ripen on the tree it becomes 'gritty'. Best practice is pick them before ripe and allow to ripen off the tree. If you're not sure when to pick suggest you wait until you see one early ripe one and then pick all the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

pear and lemon jam is a lovely jam to make

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

juneg wrote: »
    pear and lemon jam is a lovely jam to make

That sounds nice, what are the qtys? Equal weight pear and lemon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

pwurple wrote: »
    That sounds nice, what are the qtys? Equal weight pear and lemon?

no I'll post up a guide to quantities later

Advertisement