Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning counterfeit goods

Options
  • 19-09-2014 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought some products online that turned out to be counterfeit. I contacted the seller and they never responded so I went to my bank to initiate a chargeback on my card. The money spent has already been put back on my card by my bank.
    What I am wondering is, do I return the counterfeit goods to the seller, bin them or send them on to somewhere like the Revenue or Gardai?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd say revenue would be the most relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

SCC if bought from a european seller. Worth contacting revenue to see if they care too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/counterfeit-pirated-goods.html
    Revenue say don't call us call the other guys.
    Where members of the public wish to report on counterfeit goods, they should contact their local Garda Station in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

slimjimmc wrote: »

I read that page before my reply but missed the note at the bottom :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Thanks, I'll drop them into my local station so.
    On that note, does anybody have any experience with this? Do the gardai bother investigating this sort of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks, I'll drop them into my local station so.
    On that note, does anybody have any experience with this? Do the gardai bother investigating this sort of thing?

Probably depends on the item, fake ugg boots will not kill you, some garda's daughter will probably end up with them ;). Fake high power electrical goods would hopefully be investigated.

I would imagine the manufacturer would have more interest in hearing about it, you might even get a voucher or something off them if its of interest to them.

rubadub wrote: »
    Probably depends on the item, fake ugg boots will not kill you, some garda's daughter will probably end up with them ;). Fake high power electrical goods would hopefully be investigated.

I would imagine the manufacturer would have more interest in hearing about it, you might even get a voucher or something off them if its of interest to them.

It was counterfeit make up and make up brushes.
    I won't name the companies that the seller was purporting the items were from because I'm not sure what the story is with that on boards but I know one company in particular takes counterfeit selling very very seriously and do investigate all reports so I have e-mailed them with all the details, including photos and a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would email the company and ask them if they want the goods. Otherwise I would take loads of photos of the items and all sides of the packaging and dispose of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Communicate with seller and ask them if they want them returned .

You have received refund now , so they not yours any more .

Seller can advise whether to bin them or return them ( return cost is for seller a/c )

If you want to take the counterfeit side of things further , you need to send them to the official branded outlet in Ireland , and ask them for a certificate of proof that they are not originals endorsed by said brand in Ireland .

In other words , the onus is on you to prove they are counterfeit , as it is is not just okay for you to determine this yourself .

The Revenue will not be interested in them , because they cannot charge you any VAT / Duty on them if they are counterfeit .

If the Revenue had to stop them at the point of entry , then it is their responsibility to detain them if they are suspected of been counterfeit.

Customs will then contact the Rightholder ( manufacturer ) and obtain a statement from an expert on their authenticity.

If the statement declares that the goods are counterfeit , they will be seized , as counterfeit goods cannot be returned to sender .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

out of curiosity did you pay RRP of the goods or a lot cheaper

• Advertisement

Seller can advise whether to bin them or return them ( return cost is for seller a/c )

If you want to take the counterfeit side of things further , you need to send them to the official branded outlet in Ireland , and ask them for a certificate of proof that they are not originals endorsed by said brand in Ireland .

In other words , the onus is on you to prove they are counterfeit , as it is is not just okay for you to determine this yourself .

The Revenue will not be interested in them , because they cannot charge you any VAT / Duty on them if they are counterfeit .

If the Revenue had to stop them at the point of entry , then it is their responsibility to detain them if they are suspected of been counterfeit.

Customs will then contact the Rightholder ( manufacturer ) and obtain a statement from an expert on their authenticity.

If the statement declares that the goods are counterfeit , they will be seized , as counterfeit goods cannot be returned to sender .

I have communicated with the seller already, numerous times, they're not so interested in communicating with me so I'm not going to waste my time with them.

Already in the process of having the (very obviously) counterfeit items verified.

dave1982 wrote: »
    out of curiosity did you pay RRP of the goods or a lot cheaper

The goods were cheaper than the RRP but the seller received many comments on their facebook page (they don't sell the goods through their facebook, just advertise them there) about whether the goods were the genuine product and they always replied that they were so I made the purchase in good faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

the seller didn't refund the buyer - the bank did after a chargeback was initiated

Advertisement