Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home address for a LLC company

Options
  • 19-09-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi to everybody,
    I'm about to form a LLC company with a friend of mine, and I have a question you may be able to clarify:
    1. We wouldn't rent an office space at least at the beginning to save costs, can I set up an IT consultancy business in a room of the house I'm living in? Are there any implications for the landlord? We won't employ people and our activity won't annoy neighbors.

2. About the company formation, can I use my home address as registered address? Or is it better to pay the accountant to use their address? Again, any implications for the landlord?

Thank you in advance for your insights,
    Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Rented residential property is not suited as a registered address due to transient nature of tenancies and most private residential tenant leases specifically prohibit/refuse such use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theagentsmith

Thank you Pedronomix for your quick reply,
    let's assume I have an agreement with my landlord for this, is there any specific law that prohibits using rented residential property as a business address? I'm exploring this way because it would be the least expensive.
    Alternatively, what about using a virtual office service or an arragement with the accountant to use their address?

Thank you all for your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

I am not a lawyer or tax expert but it is possible that the rental may thus be deemed a commercial lease, I doubt his solicitor would allow him to do it. Most accountants do not charge clients to use their address for the registered office, if he does you are with the wrong guy!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

On point number 1
    - check carefully. If you're not taking deliveries or having client meetings it might not be an issue

on point number 2:
    - there are usually two addresses required, the director's and the company's
    For the company you might want to consider using the solicitor's / accountant's to start with. For the director use the most stable address you have ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

LLC status is not used in Ireland, unless you are registering an offshore company here. You most likely are referring to 'Ltd.' and the advice above is good; there is no legal rule that prevents you using your home/rental property/wherever, but it can create issues with a landlord as there are consequences for him and as others have pointed out it could be excluded by your lease. No reason why you should not use an accountants office, many do not charge for this if they are doing other work for you. From personal experience it is best to outsource the 'admin' as it can be a total pain and takes your eye of the 'new business' ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 theagentsmith

Thank you all for your insights, I definitely agree it is best to ask an expert to take care of this and focus on the business. I know next to zero about this, but I'd like to have an idea on what I'm about to do and I'd like to do it right.
    And it is reassuring that somebody is there to share his/her experience!

Nick

Advertisement