Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip problem

• 19-09-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Rottie who has hip problem. He has been diagnosed with arthritis in his hip and it's slightly displaced. My vet was suppose to get back to me today when I told him of Tyson's condition worsening over night.

All I can do until tomorrow is make him as comfortable as possible. The problem is he is so bad he won't lie down at all, it's a complete no go. Has anyone been through this or can anyone give me idea on how to make him comfortable for the night? I'm pretty sure he hasn't lied down or slept in 16 hours. His eyes are blood shot and he can't be seen until tomorrow.

It's horrible looking on at him helplessly, he must feel terrible. I fear he might collapse as he mods off when sitting.
    If anyone has any idea how to make him comfortable plz post.

I am abroad at the moment not on Irish hours if there is confusion.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

blaaah wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Rottie who has hip problem. He has been diagnosed with arthritis in his hip and it's slightly displaced. My vet was suppose to get back to me today when I told him of Tyson's condition worsening over night.

All I can do until tomorrow is make him as comfortable as possible. The problem is he is so bad he won't lie down at all, it's a complete no go. Has anyone been through this or can anyone give me idea on how to make him comfortable for the night? I'm pretty sure he hasn't lied down or slept in 16 hours. His eyes are blood shot and he can't be seen until tomorrow.

It's horrible looking on at him helplessly, he must feel terrible. I fear he might collapse as he mods off when sitting.
    If anyone has any idea how to make him comfortable plz post.

I am abroad at the moment not on Irish hours if there is confusion.
    Thanks

That sounds absolutely terrible. My first suggestion would be to go to a different vet, most vets on hearing the severity of the case would make space in their schedule. Otherwise could you get the present vet to prescribe some pain killers/anti-inflammatories. I know that my vet has,on occasion, given a combination of tramadol and metacam.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭blaaah

I feel so sorry for him. My normal vet left yesterday on holiday. Great timing. He is on a tablet 75mg of Meloxicam. He gets one a day. To be fair these were helping once they built up in his system but I reckon he fell or did something clumsy overnight and now they are of no relief to him.
    snoman wrote: »
    That sounds absolutely terrible. My first suggestion would be to go to a different vet, most vets on hearing the severity of the case would make space in their schedule. Otherwise could you get the present vet to prescribe some pain killers/anti-inflammatories. I know that my vet has,on occasion, given a combination of tramadol and metacam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

You're the only one who can judge the severity of the situation, however if it's as bad as you described I definitely think you need to at least make him comfortable until he gets to his appointment.

Any idea how to make him comfortable? I'm at a loss I tried putting something underneath his stomach to ly on but I can't he his hind legs over it as he protects his legs if u go near them. Never seen him like that before.

I've a soft bed with cushions but he has no interest. Tried to help him ly down but the pain is too much for him he yelps n stands back up straight away.

I need a crane to hold him up for a few hours so he can sleep that's the truth. I'm at a loss for ideas.
    snoman wrote: »
    You're the only one who can judge the severity of the situation, however if it's as bad as you described I definitely think you need to at least make him comfortable until he gets to his appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

God love him. Are there no others vets you can take him to? If he wont lie down hes obv in a lot of pain. You cant really make him as it might be too sore for him. Poor fella.

Maybe just try get loads of cushions and duvets or something and see would he even stand over them and he might relax down on to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Keep ringing the vet. Tell them he's been unable to lie down since yesterday and he needs to be seen now.

I presume you'll have to have someone call out, if he's as bad as that then he'll never manage a car journey. Is that what the delay is? Are there any other vets nearby that could do an emergency call for you.

If it were my dog then there's no way I'd be waiting any longer.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Keep ringing the vet. Tell them he's been unable to lie down since yesterday and he needs to be seen now.

I presume you'll have to have someone call out, if he's as bad as that then he'll never manage a car journey. Is that what the delay is? Are there any other vets nearby that could do an emergency call for you.

If it were my dog then there's no way I'd be waiting any longer.

I live in Aus at the moment so it's midnight here & no help possible until early morning. I'd carry him to a 24hr vet but they are all at least hours drive plus to top it off I've no car after loosing that while back to a car crashing into it.

Friend is willing to drive me in the morning to the local bets which is only 10 minutes away.

Should I make sure they keep him over the weekend? They must be better set up to handle cases like this..

Advertisement