Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a restaurant please

Options
  • 19-09-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

So I was thinking of buying someone an anniversary gift of a voucher for a meal out. I don't know where is good though, I don't get out for so many fancy dinners myself these days! I want somewhere that's nice, that'll make them feel like they've had a special night out...or just incredibly good food I suppose.
    Any recommendations would be very welcome please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

So I was thinking of buying someone an anniversary gift of a voucher for a meal out. I don't know where is good though, I don't get out for so many fancy dinners myself these days! I want somewhere that's nice, that'll make them feel like they've had a special night out...or just incredibly good food I suppose.
    Any recommendations would be very welcome please.

Aniar is your best bit. Pricey but EXQUISITE!!
    http://aniarrestaurant.ie/
    Food is unbelievable, the attention to detail is AMAZING!!!
    Oh to eat there again in the near future :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Lunaarli wrote: »
    Aniar is your best bit. Pricey but EXQUISITE!!
    http://aniarrestaurant.ie/
    Food is unbelievable, the attention to detail is AMAZING!!!
    Oh to eat there again in the near future :pac:

While I would agree with you, many wouldn't. I think Aniar is amazing but many would quite justifiably think it's not, as it wouldn't be to their taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Oscars; class seafood.
    Rouge; nice food but limited menu, great value for money
    La Fin Bouche; French, tasty.

IMHO, Aniar is OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

artisan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ard Bia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aniar, not because it's best value for money but because it's great for a special occasion and they might not go there on a usual dinner visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Kai is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Oscars; class seafood.
    La Fin Bouche; French, tasty.

IMHO, Aniar is OTT

La Fin Bouche closed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Aniar for a special occasion I agree that it would be somewhere people would not go for a typical meal.

A little less pricey I'd go for Kai, Artisan or Il Vicolo.
    Haven't been in the new Il Vicolo yet but food was always really good in the previous place and downstairs in the Bridge Mills is fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Food has been great at Ard Bia recently, but aside from that atmosphere / location there is second to none imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Aniar and Kai are both incredible.

Aniar is very special

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Aniar it is then, that's a pretty definitive result! Expensive but sounds like it might be worth it on this occasion.
    Thank you very much everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Just make sure you show up :rolleyes:

https://imgur.com/jY2AxlK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Not so much anymore. They've raised their prices quite a bit (at least 20%). Mains are now €17.50 and the glasses of wine were typically over €7/ea. A shared desert was also nearly €14. Two of us ate there for the same cost as 3 people compared to when they first opened.

I am pleased to say that the food was back up to scratch, compared to last year, so maybe the extra costs is to not cut corners and keep the quality up. While perfectly happy with the experience, I would drop the word "value" from my description of the place. It's average value, but very nice food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

aidan_r wrote: »

Delighted they didnt show up, read the menu, could not make head nor tale of it, looks like a place that has ideas above its station, guess there would be no chance of a bowl of spuds in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

White Gables also unreal. It's in Moycullen, but thought I'd mention it as the food is incredible.

EdIt, just seen you went with Aniar. Good choice :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

and the glasses of wine were typically over €7/ea. A shared desert was also nearly €14.

To be fair they do have the best wine list in the city. The bottles are actually pretty good value, I'll admit the glasses can be pricey.

What dessert did you have that cost €14?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

+1 for white gables. OGradys on the Pier is always good as is Kirwins Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Delighted they didnt show up, read the menu, could not make head nor tale of it, looks like a place that has ideas above its station, guess there would be no chance of a bowl of spuds in that place.

Stick to Supermacs and Riordan's, Jono, they'll see you right.

The rest of us probably will try a wider range of places.

But personally I won't be giving business to someone who posts like that on Twitter because he hasn't got his s*it together to be doing credit card bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

The Karma comment is very true, I am fortunate to entertain many suppliers in Galway and the comments from Anair has turned me off ever dining there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

aidan_r wrote: »

Yikes!
    I will be sure to warn them then.

Can understand his frustration, that's probably a loss of around 400 quid to him, but still that's no way to conduct yourself! Won't win any fans for the place like that, particularly the comment to the voucher lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Stick to Supermacs and Riordan's, Jono, they'll see you right.

The rest of us probably will try a wider range of places.

But personally I won't be giving business to someone who posts like that on Twitter because he hasn't got his s*it together to be doing credit card bookings.

i guess you wont be going to cava or eating in massimos then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just to reiterate what most have said:

Aniar has excellent food, arguably the best in Galway (though that owner is an idiot for posting that on twitter, was he drunk or something?)

Oscars is fantastic seafood, has never let me down.

White Gables in Moycullen is probably the safest bet in all of Galway, it does everything to a very high standard. Bit far out of town though.

O'Grady's in Barna is a bit far out for some too but also excellent seafood.

Kai is top notch food, small menu though. Only ever had something bad in there once, and I was trying something I had never had before.

Also if you like Japanese and Asian food:

Asian Tea House has some fantastic dishes from all over Asia, they have a very extensive menu - some of the seafood in there is frikin awesome. I am a regular!

Raw (top floor of Radisson Blu hotel) is a nationally regarded Japanese restuarant

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    i guess you wont be going to cava or eating in massimos then!

Correct, I haven't been back to either of those places since those comments were tweeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Correct, I haven't been back to either of those places since those comments were tweeted.

Neither have I, wont be back either

ArtyC wrote: »
    Neither have I, wont be back either

I get the Aniar decision based off that tweet, very poor form. I heard the best chef left Aniar anyway. But what was the other place that you are avoiding and why?

Agree on the White Gables, its a gem but its a bit far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I get the Aniar decision based off that tweet, very poor form. I heard the best chef left Aniar anyway. But what was the other place that you are avoiding and why?

Agree on the White Gables, its a gem but its a bit far out.

Cava and massimos.....

ArtyC wrote: »
    Cava and massimos.....

Are they owned/managed by the same person?

Cava is owned by the same person. Massimos food is provided by the same person but different owners

• Advertisement

Cava is owned by the same person. Massimos food is provided by the same person but different owners

Advertisement