Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to solve inactive account going into OD thanks to new charges?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    I have an old current account with BOI that has been inactive for over 10 years. Recently this account has been OD thanks to the new 5 euro charges. I had left the account open upon advice from the BOI that the account had no expenses and it would be easier to re-open it if I ever moved back to Ireland. I have been told by BOI on the phone that I cannot wire money into this account nor close the account without going to the branch in person.
    Is there any way to provide written instructions or whatever to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for whatever help I can get.

Regards, Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi mikeroche.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch and very warm welcome to Boards.ie.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]You are indeed correct, it is not possible to remove a dormant indicator on an account via BOI365.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]To have the account updated, you will need to provide your branch with original or certified copies of photo id and address verification. Once the branch have updated the account and removed the inactive indicator you will then have full access to the account. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]A full list of branch contact numbers and addresses can be found here.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]If we can assist you with anything further, please don't hesitate to contact us.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Laura[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mikeroche

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and contact the branch.

I have a second and final question. What is the interest rate (daily or weekly etc) applied to overdrawn current accounts? In other words, how much is an overdrawn balance from June of a few euros going to cost me? An approximate figure would be fine.
    In the interest of other readers I'll summarize the outcome of this problem here, I cannot believe I'm the only emigrant that was told by the BOI to leave his/her account open because it was free to then find out that they owe the BOI money and cannot transfer funds into it in order to settle the debt.

Kind regards, Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

You're very welcome mikeroche.

Our new fee structure came into effect in August 2013 however, inactive accounts were not liable for the quarterly maintenance charge. Customers whose accounts were inactive at that time were written to, to advise that the quarterly maintenance fee would be applicable from early 2014.

You can find information on these in our fees and charges brochure which is available on our website here.
    To receive an approximate figure of charges on an overdrawn balance, please contact the Customer Advisor in your branch directly and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Hope this helps. If you need any further assistance, please let us know.
    Laura

Hello,
    Thank you for your help once again. As the address that BOI has on record is an old one, I got back dated post recently including the original correspondence regarding the introduction of the fees. I understand my obligations and will respect them. My problem is how to pay the BOI!
    I called the branch number and got through to BOI Direct. I was kindly given a new number inside the branch after explaining my problem. I then called this number numerous times which I get through to voicemail only. The branch is NUI Galway.
    Is there any way I can get through directly to NUI Galway from abroad, either by email or telephone, in order to pay my OD and then close my account, filling out forms and so on? I am not available to visit the branch in person.

Best regards and thanks for additional help free of charge that I can get via this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi mikeroche

Thanks for coming back to us this morning. 

We would be more than happy to arrange a call to you from a Customer Advisor within your branch, we're sure this will help. 

We will be advising the Customer Advisor on your query. They can offer help and support with this. 

Would you mind sending us a PM with your full name and contact number? From reading above we might be correct to assume account is with NUI Galway. 

Please be careful not to send us any account details in your PM.

To send us a PM please ensure you have signatures set to display in your control panel settings. Then click on the link my signature to send message.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Alison

• Advertisement

Hello.
    Thank you for your offer of getting me in direct contact with the branch.
    I have sent a PM.

Kind regards, mikeroche

Got the PM mikeroche, 

Thanks for the information, glad to help!

Alison

Hello, I still haven't been contacted yet, I did wait two weeks. May I have an update please?

Thanks once again,
    mikeroche

Hi mikeroche

So sorry, we have made contact again with Management within branch, a call will be made to you very shortly.

If you need any future help, please do let us know.

Thanks
    Alison

Hello,
    I got the call, it looks like we can resolve everything very soon via post.

Thank you for all the valuable help.

mikeroche

• Advertisement

Hi mikeroche

You're very welcome, we're delighted to hear this will be resolved shortly by post.

Thanks so much for coming back here with an update.

Alison

Advertisement