Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Chelsea, Sunday, k/o 4pm Sky Sports 1

• 19-09-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Big game on Sunday as Chelsea hope to open up an 8 point gap over City, although after only 5 games, reading too much into that gap would be big mistake considering Chelsea have Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd in the coming 6 games.

City havent won any of their last 2 EPL games and are 3 without a win in all competitions after losing to Bayern Munich on Wednesday

Chelsea have won 4 from 4 in the league and most recently drawn at home to Schalke in the UCL.

City are missing Jovetic and Fernando while Chelsea are at full strength.

Few facts/stats :

Head-to-head
    • Chelsea condemned Manchester City to a first home Premier League defeat of the season last February, when Branislav Ivanovic scored the only goal. That result completed the league double over City.
    • However, City beat Chelsea 2-0 in the FA Cup 12 days later - their fifth victory in the last six meetings at the Etihad Stadium.
    • Chelsea have won 11 Premier League matches away at Manchester City, more than any other team.
    Manchester City
    • The defending champions are seeking their first league win in three matches; failure to beat Chelsea would represent their worst run for 19 months, when they only earned two points out of a possible nine.
    • City only dropped five points at home last season, winning 17 of their 19 fixtures and registering a league-high 52 points. They have already lost to Stoke this campaign.
    • It is more than four years since City went two matches without a home win in the Premier League; they were held to successive goalless draws in November 2010 by Manchester United and Birmingham City.
    • Manuel Pellegrini's side have not conceded a league goal before the 63rd minute so far this season. Only Aston Villa had a comparable record going into this weekend's fixtures.
    • Summer signing Frank Lampard scored a club record 211 goals in 648 appearances for Chelsea.
    • Joe Hart is expected to make his 200th Premier League appearance for Manchester City on Sunday.
    Chelsea
    • Chelsea are vying to start a Premier League season with five straight wins for the fourth time. They did so most recently in 2010 before losing away to Manchester City in the sixth game.
    • They have won five consecutive away games in the league dating back to April.
    • The Blues took 16 points out of a possible 18 against the other teams in the top four last season, including two wins over Manchester City.
    • Diego Costa has scored a record seven goals in his first four Premier League games. Wayne Rooney has scored the most goals by any player after the first five games of a Premier League season, registering nine in 2011-12.
    • Cesc Fabregas is the first player in Premier League history to provide a goal assist in six consecutive games. Only Eden Hazard got more for Chelsea last season with seven.
    Should be an interesting game given its Mike Deans first game in charge of Chelsea since Mourinho labelled his performance in the loss to Sunderland as fantastic.

I'm hoping for a win naturally, but I'd take a draw every day of the week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

After Chelsea resting players for the Champions league mid week :pac:, I would fancy a Chelsea win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Barr wrote: »
    After Chelsea resting players for the Champions league mid week :pac:, I would fancy a Chelsea win

I thought we'd rest a lot more than we did.

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Luis
    Cesc Matic
    Ramires Willian Hazard
    Drogba

Was the starting team, so Costa for Drogba, Azp for Luis and you've pretty much got the XI I'd expect to start against City.

Up after City is Bolton in the Capital 1 cup when we can make 8/9 changes and give guys a rest.

City will probably line out in a simialr system to us regardless so it should be an interesting game and given how both of us have defended this year chances should be easy enough to come by.

I could see Jose doing the same as last year , Rambo/Matic , then use Cesc further forward.

I’d be surprised if Willian started.

Ramires started inside next to Luiz and Matic last year and broke to the right flank when we had it.

If Willian doesnt start I wouldnt be surprised to see Dave on the right flank ahead of Ivan nut tis more than likely going to be between Schurrle or Willian, I dont think we'll play Oscar wide right if Cesc goes into the number 10/ 3rd CM role.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ramires started inside next to Luiz and Matic last year and broke to the right flank when we had it.

If Willian doesnt start I wouldnt be surprised to see Dave on the right flank ahead of Ivan nut tis more than likely going to be between Schurrle or Willian, I dont think we'll play Oscar wide right if Cesc goes into the number 10/ 3rd CM role.

Yeah you are spot on , forgot it was Luiz. Worked a treat last year.

It’s a good time to be playing City, don't think they are anywhere near the level they reached last year as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hope its a draw. Be huge even so early in the season if Chelsea win. To think they could possibly be 8 points ahead of city already is frightening

Yeah you are spot on , forgot it was Luiz. Worked a treat last year.

It’s a good time to be playing City, don't think they are anywhere near the level they reached last year as yet.

Ya, the physical nature that Luiz brought coupled with Matic, snuffed out Toure, I dont think we can do that this year, even though Matic was MOTM on his debut, he hasnt started very well this year.

I'd agree CIty havent started all that well but its still early days yet for everyone in the league. If we turn up and play like we can we can turn them over but we'll give them chances if we play like we have all year.
    ricero wrote: »
    Hope its a draw. Be huge even so early in the season if Chelsea win. To think they could possibly be 8 points ahead of city already is frightening

I wouldnt read to much into that. After this game theres still 99 pts to play for so whatever the result the title wont be decided on Sunday, of course both sets of fans want to win and on paper, an 8 pt gap looks huge this early but in our next 6 games we've got Arsenal, Utd at home and Liverpool away.

We could win on Sunday and still be behind City in 6 games time :pac:

Shame its clashing with the GAA on Sunday , could be a hard watch in lots of the pubs.

Shame its clashing with the GAA on Sunday , could be a hard watch in lots of the pubs.

Well balls to that. :o

What time is the GAA starting at?

Well balls to that. :o

What time is the GAA starting at?

Think its 3.30

• Advertisement

Well I'll have beyond zero interest in the GAA, as usual. :pac:

Well I'll have beyond zero interest in the GAA, as usual. :pac:

Especially when Cork aren’t in it :D

Especially when Cork aren’t in it :D

Nah, no interest in that either.

I'd look out for the score but would have no clue about the panels for either code or real interest in their games either.

All about the soccer for me :pac:

Anyway, cmon Chelsea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Biggest game of the season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lukker- wrote: »
    Biggest game of the season so far.

If you ignore Swansea v Soton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

The payoff for being so lame on Wednesday is that the squad should be fresher for City. I'd expect Chelsea to come hard out of the blocks looking to ideally establish a solid (2 goal) lead, and then make City chase the game. Why? Because Costa might not be effective for the whole match.

I'm confident about this game. At least a point. We shouldn't make the mistake of showing them too much respect.

McDave wrote: »
    The payoff for being so lame on Wednesday is that the squad should be fresher for City. I'd expect Chelsea to come hard out of the blocks looking to ideally establish a solid (2 goal) lead, and then make City chase the game. Why? Because Costa might not be effective for the whole match.

I'm confident about this game. At least a point. We shouldn't make the mistake of showing them too much respect.

It would set down a good maker for the upcoming difficult games if we won. For some reason people have said weve had 4 easy games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

It would set down a good maker for the upcoming difficult games if we won. For some reason people have said weve had 4 easy games.

Everton away not an easy game

Swansea not an easy game.

Of coarse city wil be the biggest test tho. I am hoping and expecting all 3 points lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Of coarse city wil be the biggest test tho. I am hoping and expecting all 3 points lol

rottie 11 wrote: »

We made the swansea game difficult ourselves alright.

Everton is always tough but they wont make top 4. This is our first real test so itll be interesting to see how we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

xUXlAHkh.png

Last season Jose made a point of delivering against the big teams, with a lesser squad. I'm not saying that guarantees better outcomes this time round. But Jose will be looking for at least a draw.

A win would be a serious kick in the nuts for City, especially if we follow it up with a few more wins. You could be talking about a 10-point cushion over most rivals after 10 games. That'll be hard to reel in against a Jose machine, even at that early stage.

• I thought Costa wasn't a cert to start??

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I thought Costa wasn't a cert to start??
    Jose said he couldn't start every game so long as his hamstring problem lingers. He can play once a week though, and last I heard Jose said he would play (at least starting) against City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Will be weird and interesting seeing Lampard line up against Chelsea if he starts, even more so if he scores.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Will be weird and interesting seeing Lampard line up against Chelsea if he starts, even more so if he scores.
    Not happening, he's on record saying he won't play against us so it would be idiotic for Pellegrini to play him at all.

It would be great for Chelsea if he did play. We'd dominate the midfield all day.

City will play a strong midfield against us to try and stifle the threat we have in the middle of the park. Chelsea will come out with guns blazing and if they take a decent lead, you'll see the likes of Mikel on to sit alongside Matic just in front of the defence.

On the basis of what Chelsea have done so fat this season and in pre-season, we'll concede. Possibly twice. My money is on a 2-2 draw but I'm obviously hoping we get a winner for 3-2.

I really hope Lamps plays and starts. Hes a liability to that CM if he lines out. He was whipped at half time plenty of times for us last year. Hes got huge experience but the legs are well gone, he was never quick but the game passes him by so much, starting him would be a huge mistake.

On Costa:
    Mourinho admitted that Costa starting on Sunday is a “risk”, and that it will stop him from facing Bolton Wanderers in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday. “Diego is not in the best condition, but he will start the game,” he said, adding that Costa – who trained fully on Friday morning – could do with a few weeks off, but that he “had to play” on Sunday. “Me, him and the doctor – the decision was made between us,” Mourinho said.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-vs-chelsea-diego-costa-must-play-with-hamstring-trouble-to-give-jose-mourinho-an-edge-9745282.html

Looks like he might take some time out at some point to recuperate fully. But not just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

On the basis of absolutely I'm going for a 5-3 Chelsea win.
    And Ivanovic will score the second goal for Chelsea.
    And that's it now!:D

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Based on that information, I'm getting a slab in and taking Monday off! :pac:

Panthro wrote: »

I was watching the Everton game on holiday and nearly had a heart attack, I dont think I could take another high scoring game like that.

Unless we went 5-0 and they scored 3 goals in the last 5mins of extra time and even then I'd be nervy.

Give me another 1-0 that game last year had chances galore and it could and should have been a lot higher scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Have you noticed that any striker that plays for ATHLETICO MADRID always get injured easily?(TORESS,FORLAN,AGUERO,FLACOA & COSTA)

If we win tomorrow we got 5 clear of everyone and if we lose we'll still be 2 clear of everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Draw 2 - 2 I reckon. Including a contentious penalty and a sending off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

We are on the same points as last season , before Chelsea come tomorrow ,it was Moseys lot that we stuffed on our fifth game if I remember all wasn't going to plan with poor performances against Hull and the Cardiff disaster, So here we are again at our unconvincing best ,IMHO I don't think we have truly impressed since the second half v Liverpool ,and the second half against Bayern typified our lethargic and laid back start, However putting pressure on our own isn't going to help we have already got the media doing that for us ,and should we succumb to Maureens mob tomorrow no doubt the knives will be out for Pellers Despite ya ya "s awful display in midweek we will not succeed unless we get behind him and the team tomorrow and endeavour to cut the gap

Cmon City!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Have you noticed that any striker that plays for ATHLETICO MADRID always get injured easily?(TORESS,FORLAN,AGUERO,FLACOA & COSTA)

Daer Jesus the seplling!!

3-0 with 2 shots on target. Not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1-1 or 2-1

Fancy City to get least somthing

3-0 with 2 shots on target. Not good enough.

You on about the Arsenal game? :confused:

• Advertisement

1-1 or 2-1

Fancy City to get least somthing

Id take a 1-1 right now. We managed to win 5 of 6 games against our top 4 rivals last year.

A draw wouldnt be the worse result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

C'mon Citeeeeeeeee!!

Yaya will have to step up a gear. Hope he not turning into a 1-Season wonder. Plenty of cake afterwards...so lets see you prove how much you love us Yaya.

Hope Kolarov starts.... and even Miller. This match needs grafters.

Sikpupi wrote: »
    C'mon Citeeeeeeeee!!

Yaya will have to step up a gear. Hope he not turning into a 1-Season wonder. Plenty of cake afterwards...so lets see you prove how much you love us Yaya.

Hope Kolarov starts.... and even Miller. This match needs grafters.

i hope Milner starts too and Lampard also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Naw... no Lampard this time... let him have a lie in with Christine and a bit of Sunday morning nooky!.

Nothing wrong with Milner.... worth 10 x Lampards in todays money. He puts in a real shift....

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Naw... no Lampard this time... let him have a lie in with Christine and a bit of Sunday morning nooky!.

Nothing wrong with Milner.... worth 10 x Lampards in todays money. He puts in a real shift....

A shift is grand but hes a less talented Ramires, a player I'd like not to see start but its nearly nailed on that he will.

We've weaknesses and so do City so i cant see it being another 1-0.

Even if we win i wouldnt be worried if I was a City fan, its still only September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A shift is grand but hes a less talented Ramires, a player I'd like not to see start but its nearly nailed on that he will.

We've weaknesses and so do City so i cant see it being another 1-0.

Even if we win i wouldnt be worried if I was a City fan, its still only September.

Ah, Milner has far more technical ability than Ramires. Not as good an athlete but few are and he's no slouch. Would be regarded much higher if he'd moved to anyone bar City imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

i hope Milner starts too and Lampard also.

I'm always loathed to say hope such and such starts for opposition, because they are normally the ones who bite you in the arse with some wonder goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Any word on Fernando? It would be a big boost if he starts. Yaya has been muck all season but today is a good day to change that. I fancy both Kun and Costa to score.

CHELSEA: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Ramires, Matic; Willian, Fabregas, Hazard; Diego Costa. #CFC

Chelsea subs v Man City: Cech, Filipe Luis, Mikel, Oscar, Schurrle, Remy, Drogba. #CFC

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement