Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a new outside light

Options
  • 19-09-2014 3:06pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have a light above the back door but I need another one at the other side (above the garden hose in the second picture) of the house because the Kitchen extension creates a dark patch in the garden.

Thing is I could easily just wire to the existing light and run the cable to where I need to but this would mean the wire is pretty unsightly. Any suggestions for how to best run the cable?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5198/322709.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5198/322710.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Change the existing light for a decent floodlight type light. Then you might not need a second light.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd go as follows using NYMJ which is very similar to the colour of your wall, pick up a half box of white cable clips:

7ADehf.jpg

There are nicer bulk heads or alternatives to the light you currently have there if you want to shell out a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Mr magnolias idea is probably best but I would use sticky back trunking with retaining screws into that metal facia.

I would also look in your kitchen area and drill out above your kitchen presses. It may be possible to locate a seperate switch for this new light under your units.
    Have you currently got undercounter lights.

Advertisement