Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

• 19-09-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

Up and running now on my 6. It's noticeably bigger than the 5S and it feels like a nice size. It's seriously thin! Glad I went for the 6 and not the 6+ though.

How's everyone else getting on?

Edit: swiping back and forth in Safari feels much more natural with the rounded edges now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Yea Im also glad I got the 6 and not the 6+this my 6 beside my old 5
    DSC_0031.jpg
    really is light wait touch id is working flawlessly after only a few minutes ,all web pages video looks a lot better than my 5 really please with it.Just get a case now really need one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Back on the train with my 6 plus had a hold of it in store glad I went for it now the 6 wasn't much of an upgrade on the 5s IMO. Big shout out to the reserve queue I asked could I skip to the front as I needed to catch the train back and they all obliged thank you all. And I was told that I got the last 6plus in stock today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Got the 6. 6+ too big for my little hands :pac:

Loving it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Delighted with mine (6).
    It feels like a mayor update from the 5, from feel, to looks to how the buttons feel when pressed.

The clarity of the screen is far beyond what I thought but I have used it majorly yet as it's still restoring from my backup.

Have it wrapped in a Spogen Ultra Hybris clear case just incase. Don't want to act all Australian on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Happy out with my 64GB 6. Size is obviously noticeable & the sharpness of the screen really catches the eye.

Whether you bought a 6 or 6Plus I don't think you will be disappointed. Each to their own with the screen size you wanted.

The more all the apps optimise to the screen the better they will look. Easy setup through iCloud. The only unknown for us all now will be "battery life"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Only thing I can fault is the huge fcc marking on the back of the iPhone shell. Looks hideous compared to everything else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Only thing I can fault is the huge fcc marking on the back of the iPhone shell. Looks hideous compared to everything else.

Fcuk you, now that's all I can notice :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Does anyone here who has an iPhone 6 also have a HTC One M8 per chance? I've currently got a iP5 and M8, and much prefer the compactness of the 5 over the M8, if the 6 feels similarly large (it's not even very big, it's just how nice and small the 5 feels) I think I might just pass on it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have my 64gb 6 and I'm loving it. Can not stop picking it up just to feel it.

I was planning on buying the apple leather case but the edges protrude too much and ruin the curve of the screen for me. Naked iPhone with AppleCare+ is the way to go for me.

Edit: oh, the loud speaker is also insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Got the 6+ 128 really wanted the large screen and storage space, do a lot of travelling and needs movies, music etc without constantly having to manage my content. Screen is huge but by far the best iphone screen yet. One handed mode is ok would prefer if it scaled the screen rather than halving it. I can really see the iPad going to the retirement home no need any more. I put a spigen slim armor case on to keep it safe and as with all cases it's slightly bulkier, but I don't feel it has taken away from the sleekness and the black screen definitely looks better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Is it worth upgrading from a 5S to a 6 no? ..The 6 plus doesn't appeal to me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Got the 6+ 128 really wanted the large screen and storage space, do a lot of travelling and needs movies, music etc without constantly having to manage my content. Screen is huge but by far the best iphone screen yet. One handed mode is ok would prefer if it scaled the screen rather than halving it. I can really see the iPad going to the retirement home no need any more. I put a spigen slim armor case on to keep it safe and as with all cases it's slightly bulkier, but I don't feel it has taken away from the sleekness and the black screen definitely looks better.

How somebody out there can go and handover a grand for a Mobile Phone is just beyond me!:rolleyes:

Can't wait for upgrade day! Sick of Android!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have you found a plan with a decent amount of data/calls/texts where you don't end up paying more than the value of the phone over the life of the contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

I'm on a €25 per month deal.

Unlimited calls and texts to my network
    400mins and 400 texts to all other networks
    2GB Internet
    18 Month contract

pad199207 wrote: »
    How somebody out there can go and handover a grand for a Mobile Phone is just beyond me!:rolleyes:

Can't wait for upgrade day! Sick of Android!

The cost is relative I have already recouped nearly half the cost from my 5S, so the balance over 2 years on a sim only all you can eat plan will pay for the phone, as I don't see a need to upgrade again in 12 months, providing there is not a massive jump in technology. Either way I use my phone for work and pleasure so it is worth the investment I believe.

Also you're free to sell the phone when you want and can change provider to avail of the best rates unless you sign up to a sim only contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The cost is relative I have already recouped nearly half the cost from my 5S.

Did you get €500 for the 5?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Yeah just out of interest, how much would a 5s 16gb with a few minor scratches go for?

Did you get €500 for the 5?

€450 for 32gb in mint condition, sim free from Apple originally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

€450 for 32gb in mint condition, sim free from Apple originally

5s surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

So as a potential customer, and as an iphone 4 user who switched to something else two years ago. What is there new about the 6 that should draw me back?

Its bigger. And maybe a bit faster.

What else?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    So as a potential customer, and as an iphone 4 user who switched to something else two years ago. What is there new about the 6 that should draw me back?

Its bigger. And maybe a bit faster.

What else?

Stability, but in fairness that never left unlike you did!

Stability, but in fairness that never left unlike you did!

Well I know. And there's other platforms that are just as stable.

I was initially suprised that its the same 4x5 grid of app icons, especially in the 6+.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was initially suprised that its the same 4x5 grid of app icons, especially in the 6+.

Including the dock, it’s 7x4. It would have 5x4 on your old iPhone.

Name one, bear in mind I use android and windows phone almost daily in my job and iOS is the most stable of them all.

The grid is now 4x7. Why is that a factor? You even say that it's odd on the 6 plus. If anything they should be doing something better with the extra real estate rather than just cramming more icons there. But it seems like from what you said that's waht you're thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

When can the 6 be ordered from apple here and how long would the delivery time be?

Next Friday I think - not sure what time though. Delivery should be very quick if you manage to get your order in fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

pad199207 wrote: »
    How somebody out there can go and handover a grand for a Mobile Phone is just beyond me!:roll eyes:

An iPhone 6, 16g is the equivalent of 2 and a half pints a week, at around 4.60 a pint. Or for smokers, around a pack and a half a week.

My question was about whats new.

Size is the obvious thing, and associated higher resolution. and more battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

naasrd wrote: »
    An iPhone 6, 16g is the equivalent of 2 and a half pints a week, at around 4.60 a pint. Or for smokers, around a pack and a half a week.

Aye, but you could get two oneplus ones for the price of an iPhone and still have money left over for smokes ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement