Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The Facebook app is not optimised for the 6 would hate to look at it on the 6 plus.

I love the dusplay, the graphics, the responsiveness and the speed.

One handed typing is difficult atm, but that could be a learned thing I ne to update

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm up and running since yesterday. Went for the 64gb iPhone 6 is space grey. Exactly what I was looking for.

First thing it's a massive step up from my last phones (Necus 4/iPhone 4s) both in terms of size and speed.

It looks fantastic.

It's a quick.

One thing I was expecting was the speed of the lighting connector. I had all my apps/songs/etc transferred in seconds. Would be waiting an age on the old iPhone 4s.

The big test now will be battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dades wrote: »
    The phone is a joy to hold with the curved sides up to the screen a really nice touch.

Are you using it without a case? I prefer to get caseless bit I am afraid the combination of brushed metal, larger size and rounded edges will make it difficult to have a good grip. Does it feel as secure as previous models in your hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Bob24 wrote: »
    Are you using it without a case? I prefer to get caseless bit I am afraid the combination of brushed metal, larger size and rounded edges will make it difficult to have a good grip. Does it feel as secure as previous models in your hands?

Everyone said the iPhone 5‘s design didn't feel quite as secure in the hand as it was a lot lighter than the 4, but we all got over that fairly quickly. The 6 is certainly easier to hold with the rounded edges and it feels pretty secure to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Feels more slippy i think. I ordered a case form amazon so Its naked for a few days.

I would certainly not recommended going case less for more than a few days as the larger size makes it slightly harder to grip and if your one hand texting it'll flop out of your hand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Got my 6 yesterday. Upgraded from 5. And for reference I also have an S4 as a business phone.

Very pleased with the 6. Design is wonderful with curved edges. It's much sleeker than S4

Size is great although (don't laugh) if you're lying down it's a stretch with your fingers to touch top of screen! :D

Really impressed at finger print ID.

My only negative so far is the camera. It's not smooth with the phone. I wonder how durable it really is. I suspect cases will be a must for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

faceman wrote: »
    Size is great although (don't laugh) if you're lying down it's a stretch with your fingers to touch top of screen! :D

Double tap (don't press) the home button and it'll all come to within reach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

faceman wrote: »
    Got my 6 yesterday. Upgraded from 5. And for reference I also have an S4 as a business phone.

Very pleased with the 6. Design is wonderful with curved edges. It's much sleeker than S4

Really impressed at finger print ID.

My only negative so far is the camera. It's not smooth with the phone. I wonder how durable it really is. I suspect cases will be a must for people.

There are no worries of damaging the lens. It's sapphire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mad muffin wrote: »
    There are no worries of damaging the lens. It's sapphire.

also the lens keeps the back of the phone very slightly raised so I wonder will this reduce scuffing.

I hate cases, I don't like the feel, the extra bulk, the ridge around the edge of the phone and covering up the beautiful design.

Have just retired my 2 year old iPhone 5 and yes on close inspection it has a few scratches and dings but overall it still looks good and the screen is perfect. Only precaution I take is never to put it in the same pocket as keys and coins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's naked at the moment as a couple of cheapie cases I ordered haven't arrived yet. Yeah it'll be a shame to cover up the curves but I have 3 small kids! It's just too slippery especially with the bigger size when you're stretching your thumb across to type.

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    also the lens keeps the back of the phone very slightly raised so I wonder will this reduce scuffing.

I hate cases, I don't like the feel, the extra bulk, the ridge around the edge of the phone and covering up the beautiful design.

Have just retired my 2 year old iPhone 5 and yes on close inspection it has a few scratches and dings but overall it still looks good and the screen is perfect. Only precaution I take is never to put it in the same pocket as keys and coins.

My iPhone's never scuff. They are either in my pocket or I lay it down on a soft surface.

Dades wrote: »
    It's naked at the moment as a couple of cheapie cases I ordered haven't arrived yet. Yeah it'll be a shame to cover up the curves but I have 3 small kids! It's just too slippery especially with the bigger size when you're stretching your thumb across to type.

Cheers ... it seems to be the consensus that going caseless is not an option ... a shame but I guess I'll have to get a case.

Just saw this review on Appleinsider where the topic is well covered.

Anyone on tesco here? Thinking of swapping over from Vodafone to the tesco sim only €25 unlimited plan.

Do they throttle their data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As far as I remeber they do, but that was when the first launch, might have change since.

As far as I remeber they do, but that was when the first launch, might have change since.

They used to but by now I don't think they are actively throttling your overall speed or anyone has noticed particular websites beeing throttled (YouTube for exemple). The catch though is that while they are using O2's masts, that have their own data network infrastructure behind it, which when I left them a bit over a year ago was regularly saturated, leading to not so great download speeds. You might want to ask for current customers' feedback on the mobile or talk to Tesco mobile forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Remember that O2 have no 4G. Feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

i have just got 23hrs from the first full charge on my 6+
    9hrs mixed usage in that time period
    Big change from my HTC One which rarely lasted any longer then 7 hrs between charges.

stimpson wrote: »
    Remember that O2 have no 4G. Feckers.

And sadly most of the infrastructure is probably there to start their 4G network, just waiting for someone at Three to give the order to flick the switch! (which might never come ...)

Thanks. I shall ask in the tesco mobile forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Have always used all my iPhones caseless, and the 6 is no different. After a week of using it I can't see any reason to put one on it.

• Advertisement

Have always used all my iPhones caseless, and the 6 is no different. After a week of using it I can't see any reason to put one on it.

So you don't find it slippery when holding it one-handed and moving your thumb around to tap on the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope. Feels fine to me, and I don't have particularly large hands either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

mad muffin wrote: »
    Thanks. I shall ask in the tesco mobile forum.

I've been on Tesco for a good while now. Speeds seem decent with no throttling, customer service is good but they have had a few of outages in the last couple of years. AFAIK no plans to launch a 4G service at the moment.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I've been on Tesco for a good while now. Speeds seem decent with no throttling, customer service is good but they have had a few of outages in the last couple of years. AFAIK no plans to launch a 4G service at the moment.

Thanks. Not too fussed with 4G as no network had 4G where I live or frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Honestly, 4G at the moment doesn't seem to be any major improvement over 3G. At least on masts with HSDPA+. I'm using a 5S on Meteor 4G. And in 4G areas with full signal, I still get the same speeds (~20mb/s) with either 4G or 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drumzone

The phone bends with not a lot of pressure. When it's something that can't be bent back into shape it shouldn't happen relatively easily like shown.

A situation where a phone of that size bends accidentally isn't inconceivable and as such the case should have been made stronger. They messed up, simple as.

No. No way was it easy. For gods sake the guys hands and fingers we're going white. Lol. What do people want. It cost a lot of money so treat it with a bit of respect. Simple as that. It's a phone. A big one so a little cop on. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

SgtBob wrote: »
    Honestly, 4G at the moment doesn't seem to be any major improvement over 3G. At least on masts with HSDPA+. I'm using a 5S on Meteor 4G. And in 4G areas with full signal, I still get the same speeds (~20mb/s) with either 4G or 3G.

Yeah, I don"t see much of an improvement either. I'm with Three and they're going to start charging an extra 4.99 a month for it in December. I've already purchased a jar of vaseline and have instructions for them as to what to do with it and their 4.99 add on when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Tried to get an upgrade from Vodafone yesterday, couldn't all handsets were for new customers. Vodafone at retail park Letterkenny had not sold one by yesterday to a new customer, anyways got to see one and don't like it not worth the move. Plus is too big so sticking with my 64GB 5s. Will upgrade and maybe sell it on an iPhone 6 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

naasrd wrote: »
    Yeah, I don"t see much of an improvement either. I'm with Three and they're going to start charging an extra 4.99 a month for it in December. .

I had a complaint processed by Three last week as my son's Sony XP ZII on Vodafone was getting 30Mbps down and 25Mbps UP as my iP5C was getting just 5Mbps Down and 0.25Mbps UP. Tech basically said Vodafone was better.

Three's UP speed have been completely erratic on 4G, have we a thread to compare service/phones/ mobile speed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm finding the position of the sleep button really annoying. I use the volume buttons for the camera all the time and find myself pinching the phone off accidentally as I grip the phone on both sides. It sits right under where my thumb goes when taking pictures!

Other than that, it's true love.

Advertisement