Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Dades wrote: »
    I'm finding the position of the sleep button really annoying. I use the volume buttons for the camera all the time and find myself pinching the phone off accidentally as I grip the phone on both sides. It sits right under where my thumb goes when taking pictures!

Other than that, it's true love.

Agreed. I wish they'd left that button on the top too. I find it far more awkward to use at the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I couldn't reach the button as handily if it was at the top. Can't say I have ever pressed the power button by mistake where it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hopefully the repositioning positively effects the longevity of the lock button, the one on my 4S is practically non-functional anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Multiple manufacturers use the android platform, only one uses IOS.

Go figure.

Well that just a stupid comment. The fact there is only one manufacturer of IOS is nothing to do with popularity or quality of a OS. Its to do with Apple not leaving other companies any where nearly there OS.

The appeal of apple products isn't there Hardware, its the OS. Its the ease of use and attractiveness of the OS that attracts its users despite the hardware not being the most cutting edge etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

mad muffin wrote: »
    I couldn't reach the button as handily if it was at the top. Can't say I have ever pressed the power button by mistake where it is now.

Yep, this. After a few days of reaching for the top or accidentally pressing the power button when taking a photo, I'm glad they've moved it. Much easier to reach, especially with the bigger size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Went in to test the 6 and 6+ at the weekend after having the S5 to play with for a week and the iphone 4 as my own phone for a while.

I was gung-ho to get the 6+ but it's a bit longer than the S5 which looks for me like it would be a bit too large for a pocket phone - Just seemed that maybe half an inch too long. And then on the other side the 6 is just a bit too small.

I feel like Goldilocks and there's no porridge that's just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Montiii

One thing that is really annoying me, in whatsapp I can't change the text size, so whenever the app is open everything on it look massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Montiii wrote: »
    One thing that is really annoying me, in whatsapp I can't change the text size, so whenever the app is open everything on it look massive

It's not just WhatsApp. Several popular apps haven't really updated their UI's yet to suit the larger screens so you are looking at the iPhone 5 version stretched out. It was even worse when the 5 came out as loads of apps had the black bars on top/bottom of screen.

You can make it a little smaller though by going into:
    Settings -> Display & Brightness -> Text Size... and select the smallest size.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Surprised it's taking so long for the big players such as WhatsApp/Facebook, Google Maps, etc to release updated apps.

Maybe they learned a thing or two from Apple recently about releasing updates ahead of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Surprised it's taking so long for the big players such as WhatsApp/Facebook, Google Maps, etc to release updated apps.

Maybe they learned a thing or two from Apple recently about releasing updates ahead of time!

Those apps were never really quick for updates, Facebook usually does at launch. Whatsapp took a while to update for iOS 7. Is expect it from FB, Twitter, Instagram. And big game devs, but I'd say better off waiting until it's ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Messenger was updated today for the 6. Maybe Facebook next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello All,

Got a 6+ 64GB yesterday and I too am really peeved about the scaling and font sizes. The last iPhone I bought new was the 5 when it came out and I would have thought this time around app developers would be faster to update - especially behemoths like Facebook and WhatsApp!

Now same again seems to be happening with the new resolutions and its very poor. I have come across from a Note 3 and really hoping the 6+ works well..

Anyway, good to see I am not the only one that's noticing this. Surprisingly little online about it, but can always count on boards.ie to maintain sanity.

Can't fault the build quality, it really is top class.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Hello All,

Got a 6+ 64GB yesterday and I too am really peeved about the scaling and font sizes.

The phone is out in the US just over a week. App developers won't release an update for the 6 until they have tested it on the actual device.

When an app is submitted by a developer it can take over a week to be released in to the App store as each app is tested by Apple. Obviously there is a huge volume of apps being approved at the moment with iOS 8 just out.

Therefore, it makes perfect sense that iPhone 6 apps are only starting to appear now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Gone from a 5 to 6+ and im loving the size and quality of it , got the 64gb version

Still getting used to it but its great

+++++ recommend the 6+

Bit pissed that some apps not supported on ios 8 yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Probably slightly OT, but didn't it take an unreal amount of time before Facebook released an official app for the iPad? I think it could have been nearly if not over a year's wait! But yeah it'd be great if they'd get their updates for the new screen sizes ready soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Gone from a 5 to 6+ and im loving the size and quality of it , got the 64gb version

Still getting used to it but its great

+++++ recommend the 6+

Bit pissed that some apps not supported on ios 8 yet

Facebook and Whatsapp look awful on the big screen. Compared to the Messages app...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 artful_dodger74

Some developers don't mind releasing updates before testing on actual devices, as you can use the simulator in Xcode to test. However, other developers may wait until having a device in hand as you really don't know how your app will perform on an actual device. You can do all the pre-release work you want, the app can be completely ready to go, then you test on the device and you get hit by bugs.

Also some apps may have features that are hardware specific to the iPhone 6 so will obviously need that device to do testing. You should start seeing apps trickling into the app store over the next few weeks that take advantage of the new screen resolutions. At the end of the day, developers hands are tied, it's just how the Apple eco-system works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Facebook and Whatsapp look awful on the big screen. Compared to the Messages app...

I don't think they do , but thats just me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mad muffin wrote: »
    Messenger was updated today for the 6. Maybe Facebook next?
    Facebook got an update today - no changes to resolution, though. I refuse to install "Messenger" as FB can fupp themselves if they think I'm installing ANOTHER messaging app when their original app did the job perfectly well.
    You should start seeing apps trickling into the app store over the next few weeks that take advantage of the new screen resolutions.
    Is it sad that I'll be a little bit excited as each of my most-used apps appears in my update list?

IMDB (one of my favourites) seemed to just work straight out of the box on the iPhone 6. Are some apps better set up to scale automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I refuse to install "Messenger" as FB can fupp themselves if they think I'm installing ANOTHER messaging app when their original app did the job perfectly well.

Welcome to the club, I hope there are many more of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

My brother is going to New York at the weekend, if he got me the iPhone 6 plus would it work back in Ireland? Also how much would I save?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭The Friendly Newcomer

How much did everyone pay for their iphone 6's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Anyone having issues with it dropping wi-fi and then being unable to see networks until restarted running 8.0.2 on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

F34 wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with it dropping wi-fi and then being unable to see networks until restarted running 8.0.2 on it?

Happened once to me yesterday. Also noticed today had cellular data turned off and when i turned it on it wouldnt connect til i restarted the phone.

Hope it's a software issue so

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

F34 wrote: »
    Hope it's a software issue so

Heres hoping! Did you notice yours or did anyone else notice the phone get hot when using 3g for data??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

Was told all recalled and sellers deposit reimbursed......

fifi28 wrote: »
    Heres hoping! Did you notice yours or did anyone else notice the phone get hot when using 3g for data??

It warms up but nothing I'd be worried about tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

How much did everyone pay for their iphone 6's?

379 with O2 on a loyalty discount contract of 34 euro a month. Unlimited data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

150 for mine. 64GB. Would have been 200 but the carphone warehouse gave me 50 off my banged up 4S. It would have been 250 for the phone if I went for 49 a month contract but went with 59 per month cos its double the data. Serious step up from the 4S. love it!

Advertisement