Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Lardy wrote: »
    How is everyone else finding the battery life on the 6? I'm at 27 hours without a charge and still 38% left.

Really loving the phone so far!

Great battery life Lardy;92451401,
    Roughly what apps and settings have you turned on, mail push,location settings etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I have Mail set to fetch manually, Reduce Motion set to On, background app refresh set to off, location off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I have Mail set to fetch manually, Reduce Motion set to On, background app refresh set to off, location off...

What about brightness?

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    What about brightness?

I leave that on auto...

I've just walked in the door from work and this is my battery usage:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

Finally got into some phone shops yesterday evening to check out the 6 and 6+ to keep me happy while I'm waiting for Apple to ship my iPhone 6. My first impression of the 6 is that it looks absolutely gorgeous. The rounded sides are fantastic and it feels so well put together. The increased screen size looks like a great upgrade from my 5. All in all it looks like a great phone and I'm looking forward to the postman arriving with mine!

While the 6 was in those stupid shop lock down holders I was lucky enough to have one of the sales guys in o2 grab a 6+ from the back and just hand it to me to try out. My first impression was how big it was. I think it's just too big to be honest. It's really a mini-tablet and is just small enough to fit in your pocket. I really thought it was way too much and I'm glad I ordered a 6 now.

The impression I came away with was that if I didn't have an iPad then the 6+ is a good option to fill both the role of a tablet and a phone with some compromises, the obvious being that it's big for a phone but probably just that little bit too small to be a 100% useable all the time tablet. For me, a 6 for portable browsing and reference coupled with an iPad Air for the more large screen oriented work looks like the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

To be honest I think it's worth sacrificing a few hours of battery for the benefits of location, mail, etc unless you plan on spending serious time away from a charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

might as well buy a €10 Nokia and an iPod touch if you turn all that stuff off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm finding the battery on the 6+ fantastic. Its lasting me 3 full days, and I've got all services turned on etc. Only thing I turn off is WiFi when I'm not at home. It was at 5% last night and I wanted it to run down completely before I started charging it, so I left it sitting with a YouTube playlist on. It ran for nearly an hour before the last bit of battery went.

might as well buy a €10 Nokia and an iPod touch if you turn all that stuff off.

I had it all off to test what kind of battery life could be achieved. ;)
    Everything will be turned on again today after a full charge and test again to see what the difference is.

Those aren't the settings I would normally run with as I need the email for work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

How is everyone else finding the battery life on the 6? I'm at 27 hours without a charge and still 38% left.

Really loving the phone so far!

Question Lardy, did you set it up as a new phone or restore from a prdvious phone? Just wondering because people have suggested setting it up as a new phone gives bettery battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unless you receive a lot of email, having push email enabled may actually save battery compared to fetch. Certainly in the case of iCloud since that comes through Apple’s PNS which the iPhone maintains a single constant connection to anyway. Exchange and Gmail are another story, though.

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Question Lardy, did you set it up as a new phone or restore from a prdvious phone? Just wondering because people have suggested setting it up as a new phone gives bettery battery life.

I restored it from a backup of my 5s that I did before I swapped the sims over.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ohsomuchbetter

Got my 6+ today. Love it already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Got 6 128gb morning of Irish launch. Enjoying but I do struggle with reaching parts of the screen regularly. Ive seen lots of random bugs but nothing serious and i'm sure will be patched out pretty quickly. I put a case on it straight way as I knew I would drop it, I wish I didn't have to because is a stunning feel in your hand without. I would say battery is slightly better then my 5S based on same usage. One thing I hadn't thought of or expected is how crazy fast it is if you use it with an 802.11ac wifi access point and a decent net connection. It flies though app downloads and updates not to mention browsing and other Internet tasks. Camera is noticeably better especially in low light. The focus especially in video is much better and you don't seem to get that pull way out of focus then back in when its trying to lock on. Extra slow video is great not much more you can say on that. Apps not updated for the screen look a bit blown up but work fine and updates have been pouring in that fix it in most apps. Power button on the side is annoying as I often press the volume buttons at the same time by accident when squeezing the phone to hit the power button. Screen quality is fantastic, extra space on the screen is great. Seems to get a bar less of signal versus my 5S...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just seen the 6 plus for the first time first hand. I can't get over the size of it. Didn't have a chance to play around with it much cause it was in a shop. I'd say it will take a good bit of getting used to for me. Even strolling around the shops with the phone in one hand will be impossible Id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just got 2 days moderate usage out of the battery on an iP6 (including quite a bit of facetime). Didn't turn anything off to conserve battery.

Facebook is definitely the worst app for sapping battery life. 20% since last charge, 14% over the last 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hay123

Just wanted to buy an iPhone6 directly with apple (the mobile carriers seem to always stick to the low GB options..?!), as I am with a College I also checked the edu account, turns out the iPhone6 128GB is exactly 1 Cent (!) cheaper in the edu store than in the normal store, 1 Cent (!!??). I suppose this must be some kind of rounding error as mostly the phones don't seem to get discount on other European Apple Edu stores at all, but I wonder how Apple hasn't seen this, and - why they offer products under the edu label (with discount), when there is none, or 1 cent ;-) discount - any explanations? My hope are not high though that they find the error and correct the prize down to anything significant, even though I have flagged this as error on their website error reporting section. What do you think? Should I wait for Apple to respond to the feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Apple have never given education discount on iPhone. The fact you've gotten a cent I'd count myself lucky.

Quick question, do I need to upgrade my 4s to ios8 before restoring my data to the iPhone 6 or can I just back it up without updating and restore it to the iPhone 6? I'll be doing it through my laptop rather than iCloud.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Doesn't matter what OS you're using. Just back up your stuff and it will be restored onto whatever iOS the new device has.

You'll probably have to update iTunes to sync with iOS 8, but I suggest don't do this until you have to. Use whatever version you have running to make your final backup. My iTunes was really screwed up after updating to the iOS 8 compatible version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Just got 2 days moderate usage out of the battery on an iP6 (including quite a bit of facetime). Didn't turn anything off to conserve battery.

Facebook is definitely the worst app for sapping battery life. 20% since last charge, 14% over the last 7 days.

What is your Home & Lock Screen usage at? Mine's at 40%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Brian017 wrote: »

Mines at 16%.
    Biggest usage is Facebook and I'm not a heavy FB user!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

kceire wrote: »
    Mines at 16%.
    Biggest usage is Facebook and I'm not a heavy FB user!

I recently adjusted Facebook location services settings to "When Using" rather than the default "Always" and it's definitely made a good difference to battery life. Also disabled Background App refresh for FB.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Impressed with the 6 so far, screen is usably bigger especially for pic editing, web browsing etc.
    it's a bit less secure than the 5s in one handed operation and a little harder to just thumb type really fast, initially at least.

Finding it a little big to get used to, Have no idea how anyone could cope with the 6 plus size wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I would up going for something else instead of the iPhone 6 myself but have to say I was mightily impressed by the 6 Plus at the weekend. One of the shops let me play away with it for a good whole and have to say the build and screen quality really impressed. It somehow felt bigger than a note but I'm sure that's just because I had been looking at the normal 6 beforehand.

The gold colour is still rotten mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Picked up my "Gold" IPhone 6 64gb from parcel motel last night and really love it, I find that it's a big step up from my 5, I was very much on the fence about getting this on release but happy I did, I know it's early days but my battery is at 72% after a full charge from last night, which is brilliant, I put it straight into a case and think I'm going to pick up screen protector for it as its a lot more screen with the potential to get more scratches, going to pick up AppleCare+ as well I think, as I worry it's such a slim phone it might get damaged! Overall I'm delighted with my iPhone 6, it will do me for the next two years before I consider upgrading again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I recently adjusted Facebook location services settings to "When Using" rather than the default "Always" and it's definitely made a good difference to battery life. Also disabled Background App refresh for FB.

That's the exact settings I have for FB too. I done that on my 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Brian017 wrote: »

12% over the last 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Plugged my 6 plus out at around 5:50 this morning. Currently at 86% @ 11:35

Usage 1 Hour, 44 Minutes
    Standby 5 Hours, 43 Minutes

Battery Usage over last 22 Hours
    Home & Lock Screen = 20%
    Settings = 14%
    Safari = 13%
    Facebook = 9%
    Mail = 7%
    Messages = 7%

Have the brightness on Auto but slid down to nearly the bottom. Will keep an eye on this over the coming days as I tend to use Facebook quite a bit (not so much this morning).

Only got it yesterday so done a restore from my iPhone 5 so today's the first usage really as it was late lastnight when I got it done and then charged it overnight. Had done a restore yesterday afternoon but it only half worked so I re-done it lastnight to get all my apps and data over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Comparing my iPhone 6 to my HTC One, it's amazing how one-hand friendly Apple have made the iPhone 6. Holding both in my hand, the One M8 feels strangely bulky in comparison to the iP6. There is about a 3cm different in both height and width between both, but it feels like a lot more, especially when typing on HTC's bloated stock keyboard which takes up 60% of the screen, whereas Apple's keeps the size of previous phones and offers more screen, makes it a lot easier to type on-handed on when having the phone gripped – the M8 I need to have the phone just resting in my palm to reach all corners of the screen with my thumb. Something small, but it's noticeable.

Lost 15% battery just restoring it via iCloud, I hope that's not an indication of what's to come battery wise though (:eek:).

Advertisement